looking for some good rpgs

hossam

Deity
hey everybody!

ive been aching for some PC rpg goodness lately, and dont know what to play. here's a list of some rpgs i played and ejoyed :

elder scrolls 3-5
dragon age : origins
neverwinter nights 2
baldurs gate 2 (plus expansion)
fallout 2
arcanum : of steamworks and magica obscura ( which im considering replaying since i never got that far in)
fable 1 and 2 ( although 2 was atrocious)

i prefer fantasy settings ( altough if youve got a good sci-fi recommendation please share it) , i also like where i can make choices and be an evil bastard or goody two shoes and open world rpgs where i can ignore the main quest if i like . ive been considering playing avernum : escape from the pit or maybe avadon the black fortress, both by spiderweb software, so if anyone is familiar with their work please tell me what you think. one last thing, games that dont have high system requirements are preferred.

Mass Effect comes to mind. I also think I recall Two Worlds 2 getting good reviews.

+1 for Planescape + Witcher.

arcanum : of steamworks and magica obscura ( which im considering replaying since i

You should :yup:.
But patch before, it's damn buggy.

If they don't have to be that current games...Risen, Divinity 2, Drakensang 1/2. Should all still be available.
All fantasy RPGs, all no real alignment.
First one has an a bit open world, you can chose between 3 factions. If you want, you can explore the world on your own, but you don't have much a choice in the story.
Divinity 2 is similar, but is more combat focused. But the landscape is damn beautiful (design wise, not graphics), you can see that it was designed by hand. Exploring is really fun. But the story is even less important (but linear, no real choices).
Drakensang 1 (don't have 2) is based on a pen+paper game. You have a party with 4 members, combat is pseudo turn based. Story very linear.

If you can still get it somewhere: Jade Empire. As background you have some pseudo Japan setting, with a bit steam technology. Has alignment, you can really be a prick if you want. If you do, it will influence the end. Has also a romantic part. No open world.

Icewind Dale is decent if you enjoyed the Baldur's Gate games. Or maybe Torchlight?

Second the suggestions for Witchers.

Also, this came out recently. I haven´t played it, but I intend to check it out eventually.

Fallout 1 if you have only played fallout 2. (just reinstalled it a few days ago)
The Witcher series.
Drakensang 1+2 are also really nice but a bit hardcore (not the easiest entry but a deep background universe).

Drakensang 1+2 are also really nice but a bit hardcore (not the easiest entry but a deep background universe).

Not sure what you think is hardcore there.
Okay, has a big RPG system behind it, but in the game it's a lot easier, and the combat is IMHO also not that difficult (with some exceptions).

You can't go wrong with anything already mentioned. I highly recommend Fallout 3, The Witcher, Planescape Torment & Mass Effect.

I also love RPG's with similar settings. I'll mention few which (I think) are worthy and are not mentined yet.

Gothic series is a good series. Gothic 3 -forsekaen gods is only 2.99 euros(expansion pack, stand alone), same is gothic 3. A complete pack is 6 euros something over the weekend. Gothic series has quite an unique fighting system and has been quite enjoable.

Arx Fatalis is a good dungeon crawl like game (it's rpg but takes places in dungeons where mankind (together with other species) survived when IIRC sun in real world burned the surfice, it is both funny as well as good imo).

From newer games, theres Kingdoms of Amalur and even Mount and blade series might be to your interest.

Dragon age 2 is also very good, tho quite a bit different from DA1 system. These are RPG's I've enjoyed, that have not yet been mentioned, that I can recall without thinking too much.

Fallout 3
New Vegas
Mass Effect trilogy
and of course, Skyrim.

Gothic series is a good series. Gothic 3 -forsekaen gods is only 2.99 euros(expansion pack, stand alone), same is gothic 3. A complete pack is 6 euros something over the weekend. Gothic series has quite an unique fighting system and has been quite enjoable.

You're not serious, are you o_O?
I mean...G1 or 2...but not 3, please :religion:.
3 is a big, empty world with dull quests and no story. The performance is awful, and it doesn't look anymore good. I can't really see why it should be recommended to anyone.

Ill say Final Fantasy 7 & 8 which are also for PC, but old and not easily for new pcs
or PS2 Anime RPGs which has fantasy and Scifi settings games, also kind mixing

Septerra Core and another one Anime Rpgs made for PC

If they don't have to be that current games...Risen, Divinity 2, Drakensang 1/2. Should all still be available.
All fantasy RPGs, all no real alignment.

Risen is available as a VOID game on Gamersgate, meaning you can rent it for free for an unlimited amount of time (the minimum amount of time you can rent a game is two weeks, with a small fee if you want to change it before that time), with the catch being you have to watch a short ad every time you start the game.

You're not serious, are you o_O?
I mean...G1 or 2...but not 3, please :religion:.
3 is a big, empty world with dull quests and no story. The performance is awful, and it doesn't look anymore good. I can't really see why it should be recommended to anyone.

Gothic 2 Gold is $3 on Gamersgate I think.

Not sure what you think is hardcore there.
Okay, has a big RPG system behind it, but in the game it's a lot easier, and the combat is IMHO also not that difficult (with some exceptions).
I should have explicated a bit more what I meant. For me it always took a lot of time to get the immersion. After that it was rewarding. (else I would not have recommended it)

Top Bottom