Looking for tips , Emperor lvl

I am with Obormot, except I would not build cath. The thing about temples is players build them as soon as they get CB. That is exactly the wrong time to build them as you have more important builds to do.

About the only time I would build a temple in the AA, is if I was going to build a wonder in that town. That does not even happen much, because I won't have CB in the first place, most of the time.

You end up having to use the slider as you do not have temples every place, please say you do not have them every where. So what did I gain by making them? Some culture and paying maint at time when I can least afford to.

I have no use for culture as I have no chance to match the AI's in culture, unless I play at a lower level. I don't worry about flips as I intend to keep taking adjacent towns. If one flips, so what? It is just a new border town anyway.

I won't say i won't ever build one, Sometimes you have to build one or 2 to get that fish or whale into your city radius while the city isn't worth a library at all.

This is the place where being religious makes the difference. If you are religious, the choise between a temple and library is pushed a little bit towards the temple. Your city needs to be a little less corrupt to make the temple the better choise.

If however being religious makes you build temples and even cathedrals for happiness, the religious trait causes you to play bad. Your game might be more succesfull if you remove the religious trait all together and play a civ with 1 trait.

Long ago, i also used to build a temple sometimes in border towns that risk flipping. Mostly if i have multiple neighbours, i am in war with neighbour A, planning my next war with neighbour B and the particular town borders neighbour C. I don't do it anymore. As vmxa sais, just let them flip. It is better to build an extra horseman from that town before it flips than building a temple there.

Well guys I got the point , Prefer to not build any temple / lib only if it's really neccesary.
To not spend time because I'll be toast by the enemy , and try to go for Settler Factory to fast expansion .

1st time in my civing I'd going for Deity game today . I don't know how but I got more success in the Deity than on the Emperor , maybe I just learnt some things :)
But again I'm kinda stick with my tech and I also had war with all countries I've met till now. I'll thank you if you tell me what to do , or just take the SAVE get me off from my situation .

Attachments

• Carthage_90AD.SAV
    224.5 KB · Views: 37
First observations:

Militairy
You have 21 numidian mercenaries and 20 swordsmen.
Personally i prefer 0 mercenaries and 41 horses instead.
However, swords instead of horses is not very bad. Of course if you upgraded them from warriors that is very good.
Those numidians you should not build.

Growth
If you press F11, you get to see the demographics screen. In there, you find "family size". Family size is the average food surplus per city. If your cities are not their max size and you are not in the top 3 here, you are doing things wrong.
You need to make sure all your cities maintain a healthy food surplus, certainly the smaller ones as you want them to be roughly equil in size (so you dont need to waste the happy slider on one or few cities)

Happiness
The happy slider is at 50%. I can move it to 30% right away without running into trouble. You have a few temples. The 2 in the large cities help keep the lux slider down, so those wont be sold. The others i sell imeadiately. Of course, i also change the city builds where temples are being build now.

City Improvements
A few temples that shouldn't be there.
1 harbor to connect you to trade routes, granary in capital. That is good.
A few barracks are missing. Do not build any units in cities without barracks unless there is some kind of emergency.

Workers & tile improvements
your number of tile improvements is good for the cities you have. But you only have 2 workers. I suspect you merged some into cities ? Still, a few border cities need help and there isn't a worker within miles for them.
Horses are not connected. Connect them ASAP.

City Layout
Your cities are too far appart.
I would have built 3 cities on that river from carthage to theveste and probably 4 on the southern river.
Sabratha should be on that lake.
Lugdunum should be on that river and there can be 2 cities on that river.

Science & Politics
You don't have many friends and you are in a tech hole. The AI are in middle ages. Pick your enemies with care. Keep the others friendly for trade until you are gonna destroy them.
I sell your warriors to reduce upkeep costs. If they were veterans i'd upgrade them, but they are lousy regulars. You can now research 70% with a moderate deficit.

Exploration
In order to help your politics and science trading opportunties, contacts are very important. A curragh is often one of the very first things i make on deity. That can be instead of the 1 warrior you build for scouting in your capital or it can be in the second city. This city probably makes 2 shields per turn and 2 food per turn and thus cannot start with a worker or settler. A curragh is then a good build to start with. Explore the whole world ASAP. one very early curragh or 2 less early (like 2th and 3th or 3th and 4th city) will be good for that.

What to do now?
-Get contacts.
-Get out of your tech hole
-Grow your empire.

-So we start building 2 boats. one in Lugdunum and one in Oae. These will explore the world for us.
-All other cities go for swordsmen or a barracks first if they don't have it yet.
-Connect those horses asap and start building horses when it is connected.
-Keep your unit upkeep low by using your numidians agressively. If they were spears, you'd have to disband them, but their 2 attack points can be used. Attack with them agressively so you are not gonna be paying upkeep for units.
-I see your units are spread around. Always use stacks that are big enough so that you are 90%+ sure that you are gonna take the city that you attack. If you attack with just 5 units, you kill 2 defenders and get 2 other defenders wounded, you have wasted 5 to kill 2. That is no good. If you attack, you must be almost sure you are gonna conquer a city.
-I set research to max on currency. You are not in a situation where you can trade profitably and you do not have the power to hurt them hard enough so that they will give you technology for peace. You must do it yourself for now.

There is no hope to get even in tech in the very near future. You have an offensive opportunity until they have pikes and knights. Use this to the maximum. Decimate those purple cities and take some of Rome's land while you still can. At least take those seperated cities from them so that you will end up with only one border in the south.
You probably won't get much further than that, but every bit counts. By the time you have knights yourself, they will have gunpowder. You can then do some little offence, but not enough that you can concentrate your empire on it.

Next you will have to build up your empire for some serious economy. After using this window of millitary opportunity, build libraries in all decent cities, ICS the lands that are corrupt and get scientists there. Use your newly aquired contacts to trade technology when possible. Next step is probably a race to MT. If you don't win that, You will have to go for industrial age. Trade luxuries to lower your lux slider.

Edit:
Hippo does not have a barracks, by the time it is ready, your millitairy window of opportunity will be over. So don't build one there for now. Instead optimise growth there and use the city for settlers.
Same for Hadrumetum. Start building settlers from these cities right away.

I'm not gonna play it as this as i think your position might be bad enough (depending if the AI has just entered MA or if they have some MA techs already) that it can take until IA to get ahead. Hopefully you can do something with the ideas i wrote.

First I do not really believe in making suggestion to players at DG or above, they should not need them. Yes people can over look things and maybe could use a bit of advice here and there.

Second if what Wacken said reflects the situation and I am sure it does, then you should drop back two levels and master the game some more.

Some of these things are just too fundamental and suggest a lack of understanding of the game.

Moving on to play at the highest levels is a fine thing, but it is better to get a very strong knowledge of how the game is played. That is not to say that only one way sis the best, but one handicaps one self a great deal if they are over looking things like troops builds and infrastructure.

These are holes that will be hard to dig out of. It could be done with good warmonggering techniques or superior micromanaging, but that is not what is being done here.

I always shudder when I see games with massive numbers of spears or their replacements. Attackers are always better. I dread seeing/hearing horse not being hooked ASAP. I am very fond of using horse to attack, rather than swords (speed kills).

50% luxs should be very unusal and very temporary. At deity and sid, you need to avoid missteps as they will be magnified.

I've another question Wacken, why I was'nt able to trade both contacts and maps ?
and Rome have a lot of armies in my territory , I'm pretty sure if I'll tell them to withdraw them they'll declare war , what do you think ?

Spain already has Pikes , where do you think I should build my Forbidden Palace ( If I'll have a leader of cousre ) .

This is another of the game fundamentals I was refering to. Deity players should know that Nav is required to trade Maps in C3C. Printing Press is required for trading communications.

Since you are still in the AA, you can do neither.

Well thanks mate , but as you can see I'm not a Deity player : ) Just took a try today , I'd a settler factory , I mean I'd a good spot for beginning , than I thought to try : )

Hey I think that is great to take a jump up to see what it looks like. I just would not expect to get some road map or guidleines that will let me transition.

Actually you are not doing all that badly as it is quite possible to be dead at this point. The problem is that from the point that all the AI's having contacts, the game will go into another faster gear. If you do not have the empire humming along, it will get much harder.

You will be shocked at how many untis they can send your way, if war comes. With widely space towns, it will be very tough to defend. They can afford losses as the cost for replacement is 60%.

That 30 shield unit is 18 shields for them, so they can make them at nearly twice your speed. I guess it is better than sid, though as they can make them at better than twice the speed of yours.

This where i do not agree with you vmxa.

I don't want to sound cocky, but i started playing this game on deity and the only games i ever played below deity were gotm's.

And i think that is the way. Why would you first play levels where you learn the wrong things ?

I support and help people who start to play on deity.

However, if you do it this way and you want to win, you must study the game seriously. So it is only for people who have that personal competetive feeling and have the goal to beat the game at the highest difficulty. When i started civ3, 80% of my time was "study" (reading, calculating and trying to apply my starcraft experience to civ3) and like 20% was playing. Of course that is not what seems like fun for everyone, but it does so for me :)
And still today, i often literally take days for a critical decision in the games i play. During those days i will think about it when i'm driving my car, when i'm on the toilet, when i'm in the shower and at night when i'm trying to sleep.

I am unsure about what the disagreement is about. Do you think it makes sense to spend a lot of time trying to correct the play at deity, when it it looks a lot what you see from Warlord games?

If so then yes we disagree. I don't care about the level one starts with or plays at, but I do think that asking for advice on playing deity should be for at least the point where you already understand the game.

As to cockiness, I think I can accept that some players are gifted. Some players are dedicated and a whole lot are better than me, I have no problem with that.

I do not even have a problem with being wrong or mistaken. There is a distinction between the two in my mind. Mistaken is when I say X when I knew it was actually Y, but got my wores crossed. Someone points it out and we go on. Wrong is when I did not know what I was talking about.

I have been known to do both from time to time. Anyway the thing is I do not see the point in trying to go from 0 to 100 in one move. Lets see if we can get up to the speed limit for the city before trying to get to autoban speeds.

I do not see the point in entering a century ride, before they are able to ride 20 miles. That is why I offered no advice, but only answered questions.

Yeah, after i made the orriginal first lines of my post, i realized not everyone is the type of person to start on deity.
Not because they may not have the intelligence, but because they may not want to take it so seriously.
Which is why i added the last half of the post.

I assume you take his current game as proof that he is not taking it that seriously and that is a pretty reasonable assumption. If however he wants to take it that seriously, then i support him :)

I only disagree if you say it is not good to start at or jump to deity simply by default. I think it is good to do so if your goal is to beat deity and you want to study the game well enough to do this.

Well the disagreement is small, I would say. I don't see how it could be good to start at deity, but it is not impossible.

What I was saying is that looking at the game, it is probably better to back up some and then get some advice. Serious, I would replace with dedicated. One can learn bad habit at any level, if you have no one to correct you or no other reference points.

I mean someone could start up a game at some level with debug and observe what the AI is doing, but with no reference, how do they know that what the AI is doing is not the best thing?

The only way is to experiment with things and find improvements, but most won't do that and they do not need to once they come here.

I have no idea wheither he is serious or deciated, I would presume that he is to at least some extent or he would not be posting in the first place.

What I am thinking is that going back to basic is the best way to get solid and that is easier to manage for most at some mid level or even lower. Not required, but the pressure is less and you can see one apsect of the game.

No rush to learn about demands on the first go around. My experience with most posters is that they do not stick it out long enough to master anything.

Often they are resistant to suggestion and are not that good on follow up. It is of course hard to know who will stay and who will fade.

Generally I like to help anyone that will stay at it and that I have something to offer or at least I think I may have something to offer.

I just looked at this game and said it makes little sense to try to master deity from this base. Why not back up to at least demi and probably emperor and then see if we can get some place.

I do not see any need to learn how the game works by starting at deity. You could, but why? You will not learn bad habits at any level if you are getting guidance.

Yes you will see that the AI is weak, but that does not have to affect what I am doing. I won't be placing towns to have 5, 6 or 7 tiles bewteen them at any level.

Yeah, i know i stand alone in my idea, and who knows maybe i am the only one with the patience to read everything i can find and calculate and reason everything i can, but i am sure it would have taken longer for me to beat deity had i not started at deity right away.

I did this because i wanted the correct reference on wich to base my insight on the game. For example, immeadiately when starting the game, i saw that it was impossible to beat an AI on culture, there were no lower levels to provide me the illusion that you can. I also immeadiately learned that i should trade for technology and that exploration is extremely important, there were no lower levels that gave me the illusion that i simply should research everything myself and leave the AI far behind. I immeadiately learned the level of agression the AI has when borders meet and learned to swich from rex to millitairy at exactly the right "just in time" to handle them. etc...

That is why i prefered to start at deity and why i do this at every strategy game except poker because starting at high stakes would cost me too many dollars to learn :D

Ah, poker I remember the days when all that was legal in LA was 5 card draw, no one played holdem or my favorite omaha, let alone 7 card stud.

Actally they allowed Pan too, but I never played it. Draw was either high card or low ball. That was way back in the 60's.

I agree with both of you, if you're both saying that the best way to learn is to take playing seriously, giving it lots of thought, getting sound advice, and just keeping at it. The worst way to learn is to play below your skill level, especially at levels so low that you can still win without ever learning what you're doing. Of course, there are in some senses two different Civ III games -- the first is Chieftain through about Monarch, and the second is Emperor (or Demigod for some) and above. As Ision pointed out long ago, once the AI starts to get significant advantages in production and units, the player must learn all kinds of new ways of doing things to manage to keep up and eventually pull ahead. Persistance and thought are key. The best advice I can give is what I should be taking myself -- keep at it until your game is truly lost, instead of quitting when you're not whalloping the AI in the late AA like you're used to, or when you miss out on some "crucial" wonder you wanted, or when you find out that you have neither horses nor gunpowder. Keep thinking about what you could do to pull out from behind. That, I think, is what improves a player.

WackenOpenAir said:
Back in the 60's? :eek: You don't actually happen to be Doyle Brunson do you? :p
You still play poker?

Not quite that old, it was the late 60's. I have not played this year as I moved to Florida and have no card rooms near me. I miss all the free Card Player mags you could pick up at the Bicylce club or Hollyood Park. Those were my favorite places to play. They did not exist in the 60's or the 70's.

Are you aware of the online poker options?

I am not gonna try to sell you anything or alike, i can only say there are plenty opportunties to make money and have fun playing poker online if you are good at it or want to invest the time to become good at it.
It is 100% safe. The companies running the pokerrooms online are fair and generally have excelent customer service.
I know many people who make money with online poker. Their earnings vary from penies to several 100 dollars per hour.

The only warning i give everyone is that poker requires a lot of discipline not to go gamble or to make serious errors after losing a bit, and it is probably easier to beat deity than to be a winning poker player.

Top Bottom