looking for...

seangregorycarroll

Chieftain
I was wondering if there is a mod out there that simply doubles the research time, i.e., I'd like to play a plain old game of civII but slow down all research by 1/2. Anyone know of anything available out there? If not, is this something I could mod myself? Also, is there any way to mod out trading techs to stop the AI from sharing everything? Finally, is there a mod 101 guide anywhere instructing a newcomer on the basics and what is and isn't possible to change?

I was wondering if there is a mod out there that simply doubles the research time, i.e., I'd like to play a plain old game of civII but slow down all research by 1/2. Anyone know of anything available out there? If not, is this something I could mod myself?
Research rate in the standard game is determined by the tech paradigm in rules.txt (under @COSMIC); the higher the value, the slower the research rate. However, 10 (the default) is the maximum value, so you can only use it to speed up the rate. To slow down research, you'd need to use the tech paradigm value under Scenario Parameters in the Cheat Menu (see here); in other words, you need to save the game as a scenario.
Also, is there any way to mod out trading techs to stop the AI from sharing everything?
Short of banning diplomacy using events (Negotiation trigger) or killing research entirely ('no, no' techs), no.
Finally, is there a mod 101 guide anywhere instructing a newcomer on the basics and what is and isn't possible to change?
More like a scattering of small guides. Try these places:
CFC's Civilization II: Reference section
Scenario League's Design Tips section

And then of course there's the Scenario Making for Beginners thread at the top of this forum.

oK Catfish coming through again! So, next question is if the default is 10 and I save as scenario with a value of 20, does that equate to a 50% slow down?

Top Bottom