Looking PBEM/or New PBEM Game!

Negative_Suns

Warlord
[edit]

Newbie PBEM

I am going to make this post be for updating everyone who is playing; as well as listing their civ, playing time, eMail address, and eventually a turn sequence. As a reference for everyone.

I think for this game we will keep it baisic and have normal civs & leaders. Anyone can pick a leader or you can choose to go random. It's up to your discretion.

I will choose leader after everyone because I hope everyone else is able to get exactly the leader that they want.

Negative_Suns [1st turn]
in GMT usually plays 06:00
Charlemagne of Holy Rome

dr_s
[2nd turn]*
in GMT usually plays between 11:00 & 12:00 [or] 23:00 & 24:00
Random

Nakor [3rd turn]
in GMT usually plays 18:00 to 21:00
Darius of Persia

fegguk
[4th turn]
in GMT usually plays at 22:00
Random

Yaburu [6th turn]*
in GMT usually plays between 15:00 & 05:00
Hannibal of Carthage

*dr_s and Yaburu you two are at the end of the turn sequence based assuming you will make your turns in the evening (during the later end of the large time ranges you both gave me) if this is inconvenient and you'd rather take your turn in the morning let me know and I can adjust the sequence.

[edit]

Okay game settings. These are hard for me to decide about. Teamwork time!

[game speed] normal
[map size] small
[difficulty] prince
[era] ancient
[map] big and small
[map options] snakey continents, low sealevel, islands mixed in
[victory conditions] all
[options all other options default] no technogy trading

It looks like we have 4 or 5 players. I think small size is best. I usually play huge maps on epic for the record so this is not bias. I think anything bigger than small with less than 6 or 7 players potentially take too long. Remember we will be able to take only 1 turn every day. Possibly less. I think small is a good size.

If others want to do quick speed I will do it, but quick feels too fast for me. Even in PBEM. So I think Normal is good.

Ancient start.

Difficulty. Do we want Prince or Monarch? or Harder? Remember there will be no AI. I think this setting is mostly to discourage city spamming.

I like to play Big and Small for this size of map. However I also think we should play whatever map most of you want to, so let me know your preferences. I will try to accomodate everyone if possible.

I like huts and barbarians. I know a lot of people don't like these for multiplayer; the reasoning being they can randomly put you way ahead or behind others. Again it's whatever you guys want.

As for other important settings I don't know what is good for PBEM; always war, tech trading on or off, etc. Maybe someone like PeaceOfMind can let us know. Or what do you guys think?

We're almost there!

Okay that sounds good. Does anyone else want to join this new PBEM? How many is a good amount of players 4/6?

For PBEM games, best choice is 4-5 players... Since you are new to this kind of game, maybe is the best to searc similar players, because experience is good thing in MP games...

I would be happy to give it a go again. I have only tried PBEM once before the game did not get too far a people kept going on holiday.

If you want some advice for how to set up the game, the first thing I'd suggest is making each player tell you their preferred time of day to play. Especially if you have 6 players, you want the gamesaves to be sent around in a sensible order that makes the game as fast as possible. One turn per day is usually a realistic proposition even for 6 players. I hosted a 7 player game where we are nearly getting a turn done each day.

Okay so thanks for the great advice so far PeaceOfMind and burlicconi. :goodjob: It looks like the right number of players is 4/6. I think a good goal for my first PBEM is 4 to start it ASAP. I'm not against 5 or 6 if players show up.

Another question to you guys is: For 4 players what size map would be fun to play? Is standard too big? Also what game speed is PBEM usually?

So rbkhockey, fegguk and myself are the players so far! That mean we are looking for one more. I will private message you two (and additional player/s) about what times you expect to be able to take turns and also to confirm you are absolutely able to join a new game.

Then I will post official list of players and turn order here.

Am I supposed to post settings and ask the players involved for their civ preferances? (it looks like that is the generally accepted format from browsing other games) But I'm not quite sure what it should be. Advice?

Another small question I have is: How do you set up that thing that sends PBEM saves automaticly? Is this expected or do players just send the save normally by eMail as an attachment?

I ask becasue my firewall blocks this thing from working; I remember trying to play a BPEM game once before using this feature, with a friend, a few months ago and I couldn't get it to function.

Count me in. I'm a Noble/Prince level player looking for my first MP game.

Just send it by email will be fine, I just started a co-op MP game and just emailing the file works fine.

I'm EST which is -5 GMT. I usually can play from 19h00 to 21h00.

I'm OK if you want to do everyone random leaders but if not, I'll go for Tokugawa of Japan.

With 4 players, small might be OK and I'm good with Normal speed. Thinking about it, if we play approx. 1 turn per day, it'll take a long time to finish a game.

Okay so thanks for the great advice so far PeaceOfMind and burlicconi. :goodjob: It looks like the right number of players is 4/6. I think a good goal for my first PBEM is 4 to start it ASAP. I'm not against 5 or 6 if players show up.

Another question to you guys is: For 4 players what size map would be fun to play? Is standard too big? Also what game speed is PBEM usually?

So rbkhockey, fegguk and myself are the players so far! That mean we are looking for one more. I will private message you two (and additional player/s) about what times you expect to be able to take turns and also to confirm you are absolutely able to join a new game.

Then I will post official list of players and turn order here.

Am I supposed to post settings and ask the players involved for their civ preferances? (it looks like that is the generally accepted format from browsing other games) But I'm not quite sure what it should be. Advice?

If you're the host then you have the power! :D

It's a good idea to post all settings for the game you intend to host. If there's a particular setting you don't care about then just ask the opinions of the joining players.

It's fine to let people choose their leaders/civs or do random or anything you like. To give you an idea, I've hosted games where:
  • The four players had to choose from 4 available civs: America,Germany,England,Russia and if two players wanted the same civ I basically tossed a coin.
  • Everyone was allowed to pick their leader but the civs were all random. This was obviously an Unrestricted Leaders game.
  • Civs and leaders were all random.
  • Players can pick their civs.

As for gamespeed, Normal and Quick are really your only options. A Normal speed game will go for a long time but it usually feels better than Quick IMO. Important in deciding what speed you want is how big the map would be. I'd never use Quick on any mapsize bigger than small.

Guys I think we are going to be able to start within a few days.

Okay so I thought it would be good to ask everyone their expected play time, civ preference, etc. in pm. But on second thought it is going to be easiest if everyone posts this information here. :goodjob:

So rbkhockey and fegguk please ignore that visitor message and make a post here with this information:

1. your time zone
2. what time each day you expect to make your turn
3. your civ and leader preference
4. any map option preferences (game speed, size, huts, barbarians, map type etc.)
5. eMail address

1. your time zone: PST
2. what time each day you expect to make your turn: Well, I hadn't really planned on a set time, just whenever whoever was before me did their turn. But if you guys want/need a set time, I can get one.
3. your civ and leader preference: Hannibal and the Carthaginians
4. any map option preferences (game speed, size, huts, barbarians, map type etc.): Hmm, well, I like playing on huge worlds, but I'll understand if that's not a popular choice. I like warm, tropical climates, and I usually try to play with more then a few continents, but I've played Pangaea games more then a few times so if I get plopped into one, I'll do fine.
5. eMail address: all_purpose_white_guy at Yahoo

Yaburu, don't worry I am not strict about taking your turn at an EXACT time. I want to know what range of hours you are likely to take it because that way I can make a better turn sequence.

[example] If you play at 8pm and I always play at 10pm it makes more sense for your trun to come before mine, right? That's all.

Even morning, afternoon, or evening would be helpful.

Ah. Well, I usually wake up around 7 or 8 AM, and go to bed around 10 PM. I could conceivably take my turn at any point between those hours. But I'll be starting a job soon, so my hours may switch, I'll let you know. But for now, until I start that job, I'm as open as a hooker.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'm not super keen on having my email address out in the open. I'm guessing that is also why Yabur spelled out "at" instead of @, which you edited into the first post.

I can PM it to everyone in the game.

Yes, Negative_Suns you shouldn't write peoples' email addresses in the thread. Just keep them to yourself and PM them to the players when you start the game or tell the players to send their email address to the player before them in the turn order.

Top Bottom