Looooooonnngggg Memories

Uncle Dave

Chieftain
I've been playing Civ VI for a few weeks now, having previously been with IV for quite some years. I like it now I've got the hang of it - Traders much like the first version, one unit per tile etc. In my current game, a couple of players decided to attack me (all AI), probably because they were bored or something. Apart from very early on, when in all versions you have a reasonable chance of taking a city easily, I very rarely declare war on anyone.

Anyway... Peter the Great - from the other side of the world - and Philip of Spain - on the next island - decided to declare war on me. So, I armed my Suzeran neighbours and set to it. Long story short, I got the upper hand and slowly but surely took over all Spanish cities, converting them as I went. The first Suzerans legged it home when only the capital was left but I took that with my own troops.

It's now more than a thousand years later. I haven't attacked anyone and, apart from bashing the odd barbarian and making sure I maintain a couple of strageically placed Suzerans, I've been as peaceful as a lamb.

For 1,000 years I've had to put up with everyone else mkaing ridiculous demands on me and denouncing me for being a "warmonger", despite my persistently shouting at the screen "HE STARTED IT!". Now, whilst I might think the French were a bit naughty for invading my homeland in 1066, I don't hold it against them now. It's just too silly for words, and while I have always enjoyed the silly things that happen in games (I had a striker in an early Championship Manager who used to get upset because he wasn't picked, despite having a broken leg), this is just annoying now.

Is this usual behaviour? I've only played a handful of games and although some AI players can be unpredictable, they've never got stuck in such a rut. I'm -98 or more with everyone. Tried chucking some gold at them, even gave Gilgamesh a good deal on niter, but no change. Obviously, I could ditch the game but I'm enjoying it. Apart from being told how despicable I am every five minutes. Any ideas?

This sounds familiar to me. You are playing without GS I suppose? They changed they way warmonger penalties work with GS. The system before was quite stupid and I can't remember a game where I got out of the penatlies if I razed a civ. With GS they introduced grievances which are quite an improvement (but far from perfect).
You can read more about it here:
https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Warmongering_(Civ6) (pre GS)https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Warmongering_(Civ6)
and here:
https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Grievances_(Civ6) (post GS)

It's always down to money isn't it? No, I don't have Gathering Storm and I can't justify paying £34.99 on top of what I already paid a couple of weeks ago for Civ V then the Weekend Offer upgrade. I will just have to reel in my maniacal tendencies I guess. Thanks for the reply and info!

Taken a look at the ad video and I probably won't bother with GS. I play games to escape the problems of the real world, not embrace them!

Last edited:
You can just ignore WM penalties anyway. Your trade deals will be worse, but not worse enough to outweigh all the stuff you got when you earned those WM points.

Two other ways to manage WM come to mind.

1: You only rack up WM points with civs who have met you before you earned them. On , for instance, a Continents map, if you unify your landmass before anyone crosses the ocean, nobody across the ocean will care that there once were other nations on your side of the world.

2: It's really unintuitive, but you can take cities without WM points by causing enough destruction. If you pillage the crap out of everything, the AI will eventually hand over several cities to you just to stop the pain, and "voluntary" transfers of cities don't rack up WM points.

Another option: beeline the enemy capital, pillage everything and take it, and then trade it back for other cities. The WM charge for taking the capital will be refunded when you return it, and rebuilding all the pillaged districts will be their problem, no yours, while you keep all the rewards from pillaging.

It's always down to money isn't it? No, I don't have Gathering Storm and I can't justify paying £34.99 on top of what I already paid a couple of weeks ago for Civ V then the Weekend Offer upgrade. I will just have to reel in my maniacal tendencies I guess. Thanks for the reply and info!

Taken a look at the ad video and I probably won't bother with GS. I play games to escape the problems of the real world, not embrace them!

Even though disaster are the biggest change in GS you can set the disaster intensity to 0 and wont notice those alot in your games (and therefore miss out most of the super nice yield boosts they provide). There are some other changes in that DLC as well, its not just about disasters (power, the new strategic resource system, canals, dams, tunnels, world congress (not as good as in 5), the new grievances system, new units) and ofc a bunch of new civs.
Also a little tip in case you are thinking about buying it at another point in the future if you dont have R&F and buy GS you will get all the mechanics added in that expansion as well (not the civs, wonders etc though).

Top Bottom