Loosing all battles?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by 40lfjuse, Aug 9, 2015.

1. 40lfjuse

40lfjuse Chieftain

So I've never been much of a strategist, but whenever I start, I can usually take one city then my empire starts to fail dramatically. The AIs are super powerful for some reason, and have tons and tons of units. I use the immortals from Persia and took down a city-state to the west of my empire, then I gathered tons of units and went after Netherlands and got totally destroyed because they managed to destroy all of my units. I think I'm missing something really important. Maybe I just shouldn't fight? I wanted to take over using military but I just am unable, and since I just got the game, I played as Siam previously and lost horribly to Portugal who got so powerful and ahead they were destroying me, along with Mongolia from the other side of my empire. I was doing really well in that game up until they all teamed against me, even my allies suddenly turned on me. I nearly destroyed one of her cities until I found out that you can't destroy them without melee, cause I was using Gatling guns which were great up until I needed a melee, which I couldn't even spawn (because there was no option)

Does anyone have any advice? Keep playing? etc? I'm totally stuck, every time, and get myself in the worst possible position. If I didn't mention this before, I just started, so I understand a bit about the game but not enough to dominate a single empire.

Oh and I also forgot to mention that I did get rid of my military in my first siam civilization, but was able to regain it with the use of gatling guns.

2. z284pwr

z284pwr Prince

You mentioned you used the Immortals to take a city. Are you building ranged units? A decent number of ranged units can mow down an army in no time. Also it sounds like you are trying to go on the offensive to soon instead of declaring then letting the AI throw their units at you. Wait until their units are depleted before attacking the city.

3. 40lfjuse

40lfjuse Chieftain

Thanks for the response. I will try taking a more defensive approach. Should I work on walls and armories, etc? Also I have one more question, do you get better the more you play the game?

4. z284pwr

z284pwr Prince

I generally only build walls and defensive buildings in cities on the outskirts of my territory or near enemy cities. Core cities that should/will never see war have better things to build. You should definitely build barracks and armories in cities that will be producing units. They are expensive to maintain so don't build them until you plan on producing units. Armories and Barracks will give you two promotions instantly. You can build Military Academy but they won't net you a third promotion unless you've built Brandenburg Gate or the Autocracy tenant that provides experience. The tenant that gives happiness for experience buildings is one of the best happiness tenant in the game. You can justify experience buildings in all cities then.

Regarding getting better. Yes, especially with warfare. You can watch all the Let's Plays you want but you get in the situation and it's all about experience first hand not what you have watched.

5. lindsay40k

lindsay40k Emperor

With regard to your lack of melee: any unit that has to 'charge' can take a city, assuming it has been weakened enough. This means swords, spears, horseback charges, bayonets and tank treads. Or even ships designed for ramming!

Clever use of promotions is needed to make the most of your military. It's absolutely worth training a Medic for every small army you raise; try to take good care of well promoted units, whilst at the same time, try to kill off enemy units rather than drive them off only to have them heal and then attack you as veterans.

If you want to go conquering, make sure not to neglect your Culture. The left side of Honor can get you some scarily strong units; I play Marathon speed, and XP powers up units faster than researching upgrades. And don't be afraid to use your Great Generals; 15% boost is cool, but I've won many wars by placing a Citadel on a hill in my own territory and tearing apart an invading army, then going on the offensive.

Finally, bear in mind diplomacy. Capturing cities, exterminating whole nations, and breaking promises will make the AI regard you as a rogue state to be tamed. Try to bribe rivals to declare war on one another, so they're too busy to pile on you.

6. 40lfjuse

40lfjuse Chieftain

Ok, so after reading what you guys posted, trying it out, I still had issues. This time my entire empire collapsed from 8 cities down to my last one, and that's when I decided it would be a good time to restart. I am still loosing every game because there is always one AI with insane wealth and an extremely high amount of units. Maria of Portugal was using about 20-30 planes, and they somehow removed every single one of my units along with all my other defenses I had spent around 50 turns stacking up around my border. I'm not sure what to do, and I always get myself stuck in a position where no matter what, every time I login I end up getting killed eventually. I'm just not sure what to do atm, and I've read the wiki guides, help pages, done everything they described exactly and still manage to get beat by someone who is automatically a modern superpower while I was struggling to get to classical era. (They seem to progress extremely fast, as of I am going as fast as I can and can't keep up in their development)

7. Bimblecrumbs

Bimblecrumbs Warlord

What speed/difficulty are you playing on?

Did you build the National College? If so, on what turn and with how many cities? What did you tech for after the NC?

What social policies did you take?

What was your army composition? I.e. ranged/melee ratio, perhaps with ships/planes.

It would help if you posted a couple of screenshots of your war.

8. Mahasona

Mahasona Prince

Sounds like you have a number of issues but the two that spring to mind are:

Make sure the majority of your units are range and keep them upgraded. They are the backbone of your army for taking out units and attacking cities.

Science is key. Get libraries in your cities and build the Natiional College as soon as possible. Get to Education and buy a university in your cap to save time building.

9. Illianor123

Illianor123 Warlord

Difficulty?

Screenshots?

You sound like you might have some unhappiness issues, unhappiness reduces combat ability.

10. beetle

beetle Deity GOTM Staff

You should never lose a city that you found. When that happens, I recommend reloading several turns back so you can work on your technique.

A runaway civ or 2 is pretty typical, but you should be able to manage the front line.

If an AI is a two eras ahead of you, they will crush you. So it may just be that you need to work on your science game. But, like others wrote, provide some more details, show us where you are at T100 or so.

11. Greggy08

Greggy08 Warlord

Maybe u can play a difficult level lower...

12. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

If you have a swarm of lower tech units and are losing, the solution is focus on science more.

But if this is competitive era swarm losing, then the problem is the wrong units are being built (the usual problem is insufficient ranged and/or siege weapons depending upon era.)

13. lindsay40k

lindsay40k Emperor

If your opponent has a giant air force and you have no anti-air, there isn't a military stratagem in the world that's going to save you.

Others have given advice on upping the science game to avoid finding one's army obsolete; putting a high priority on science buildings and the techs that unlock them is a strong strategy, as is having a city or two running as many Scientists as possible (Gardens and National Epic are important!) to get Academies built for the National College.

I'd add to that a little diplomatic trickery; if a rival is pulling ahead, see if you can bribe them to get into a war that'll misdirect their army, overextend their empire, etc. Then, when their empire is Unhappy due to all those cities they've grabbed, and their army is healing on the other side of their borders, launch a lightning strike to capture and/or burn a bunch of their cities.

At the start of a war, try having mobile sacrificial units around their borders to disrupt their military resources and luxuries. (Lancers and Gunships promoted from Landsknechte are brilliant at this, and Chariot Archers are a cheap throwaway unit.) If you can destroy their army's supply lines and motivation, they'll be fighting at reduced strength until their workers make repairs.

14. johnny_rudeboy

johnny_rudeboy Warlord

The trick is to be careful both when defending or attacking. You dont rush your troops into positions first chance you get. Try and kill off or at lest injure as many of the other teams units with your ranged units first so that they cant surround your meele units when you do advance. Use your first turns of siege weapons for this. Clear the field.

But then when you do move forward to take down a city your units should have full health, especially the ranged ones to maximise the damage you make. 3 ranged units (either 3 x-bows or 2 c-bows and 1 catapult) and 2-3 meele units, depending on their strength should really be enough to take most cities until gunpowder is discovered.

15. Sclb

Sclb Emperor

20-30 planes and if they're in modern when you're still in classical sound like you're playing on deity and somehow missing the science. You really need a solid science game before you even have a chance on beating these AI.

16. vesp3r1987

vesp3r1987 Warlord

Basically you made same mistake as i did when a friend introduced me to the game - you played probably on Chieftain or higher and you missed out several things.
    If you want to conquer i suggest starting off by playing with Japan - their specialty is really handy at times of war.
    Build units every now and then to keep enemies from bully you.
    Dont rush to take a city from another empire or a city state as that would make everyone hate you. Instead i wait for someone to ask me to declare common war against someone else and do nothing... on lower difficulty (where i usually play) that almost certainly means they will offer you peace with a bonus city
    Also as mentioned above it depends alot on what policies you take - i usually leave wars for after i can build siege units and so i go for either freedom (for fast expand) or tradition (for better food supplying and wonder build) later i get rationalism for science boost
    If you want to secure your wars you can try the Honor and focus on gaining a great general for every army you are sending to war

17. Bimblecrumbs

Bimblecrumbs Warlord

Don't you mean "Liberty" for fast expand?

In my opinion, Japan's UA isn't all that good, and the damage change isn't so significant anyway. If your melee units are damaged, you probably don't want to attack with them, and if you're warring efficiently, most of your ranged units should remain at full hp. I'd much rather war with China's or Persia's UAs.

Followup question: does anyone know exactly how much a unit's attacking strength decreases when it's at, for example, 75%, 50% or 25% health?

18. johnny_rudeboy

johnny_rudeboy Warlord

Japans UA is really good. Especially in the early game. You can usually take out a barb camp without having to heal up in between, limiting the chance of the camp spawning another barb. And normally you dont want to attack with a wounded melee unit but with Japan you can do it and get away with it.

19. vesp3r1987

vesp3r1987 Warlord

ye lol i did mean Liberty... i was still sleeping when i wrote it :D as for the wounded units - it does make difference not sure about the % but i think it worth, especially at the beginning when you are scouting (to take out barbs easier)

20. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Taking out barbs with liberty could be a challenge but it could be worth it since you have good workers and settlers able to easily take the land.