Lopsided negativity towards Civ V a consequence of circumstances?

Why remove tile animation?
What animation is that?

Why replace coins, bread and hammers with brown, yellow and green circles?
No idea but I agree that seems silly.

Why is religion removed instead of enhancing it?
And I ma glad to see them gone, doesn't bother me.

Why is espionage removed?
Are spies completely gone? Because that would be, odd. I never really used them in Civ4 though.

CIV 5 is a sequel to CIV 4, it's meant to be an enhancement on all overall aspects. Instead what we got is a hexagonal non-stacking simplified, streamlined CIV 4 with many major features removed.
I hardly call stuff like the religion or corporation system (which I never say the point of) major features.

Look closely, the green circles are actually apples and the production icon has a hammer in it.

1) Civ5 has its problems.
2) Any release of a sequel has people complaining about the new changes and fiercely loyal to tghe previous instalment. There are still people who think that Civ2/3 was the last good game in the series, after all.

I personally believe that a lot of the dissension, at least from the veteran Civvers, is indeed largely due to the 'dumbing down', percieved or otherwise, (though I personally think that it has been streamlined a little too far.)

Nevertheless, there are clearly some ways to 'complain' that are better form than others, as there is some ways that are more appropriate to respond to the various objections.

I, for one, think that there are a number of problems, and these stem from the design philosophy, and what groups the designers are trying to target, those whom the designers wanted to attract.
I may disagree with the path they took in this instance, but they are, after all, the ones making these decisions, and we all must keep that in mind.

This is not to say that discussion on the topic is not a good thing, let us just all ensure that we keep everything in proper focus as it is no use getting worked up in opposition to it, nor, at the same time, is there much point in blindly defending it to the point of fanaticism (and this is not directed at any one individual on either side of the argument, it is just a general observation).

Played the game, beat my friend in MP which alone is worth $50. Love it, love the changes. Going to get back to playing it than describe how much civ 5 vanilla > civ 4 vanilla.

What animation is that?

In Civ IV, you can tell the difference between worked and unworked tiles by their animation. If the tile is unimproved, a little house appears when it's worked by a city, and that's all. But if the tile has an improvement, it has an animation. Mines have moving rails, watermills and windmills roll, bananas fall from banana trees, fishing boats display a fishing net, etc. It can be turned off in the options, wich would explain why you cuould've missed it.

Haven't had a chance to play CiV yet, but really looking forward to hexes and 1UPT and the resulting combat. I'm more of a builder player, so I think I'll appreciate having smaller armies and using them strategically, rather than having to build massive SOD.

Top Bottom