1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

losing via cultural victory

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Minmaster, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Minmaster

Minmaster Prince

anyone keep losing to backward civs pumping everything into culture? it keeps happening in my games, mostly on emperor where i am about to win the space victory but some smart civ knows exactly when i am about to land my spaceship and decides to make it so that he puts everything he's got into culture and manages to win justs before my spaceship victory.

making it worse, it's been really pathetic, beat down vassalized civs that have beat me too. once a last place civ did that. i think this is a really cheap way of winning, because it takes no skill to convert your economy to producing culture. i think with BtS, this culture output thing has gone out of control, they need to put a cap on the culture slider, like 40-50% instead of letting civs go upto 100%

2. Navarre

Navarre Legio XIII

Just check the victories screen once in a while and go raze a city if you see a civ is going for cultural victory. You can see which cities are concerned.

I noticed too that in BTS AI actually try to win the game. I losed some games by diplomatic victory after a civ vassalized the whole world and built the UN, and some civs tried the cultural trick too. But when you set the slider to 100% culture, you fall backwards in techs, and cities defended by riflemen don't resist well to tanks...

3. InvisibleStalke

InvisibleStalke Emperor

On Emperor you can pretty much count on one AI trying a culture win. And getting there before you can launch a spaceship - a culture win is faster for an AI with good commerce than a spaceship one. The easiest cue is through espionage - once a civ goes suddenly to 3000 turns to research medicine or something you know that they are trying for culture.

Keep an eye through the victory screen. And prepare a naval invasion fleet to raze one of their culture cities. One is usually enough - the fleet doesn't need to do anything other than drop culture defense, take out all defenders in this city and raze it. Problem solved.

But every one of my Emperor games runs into this problem in the space race. One AI will go for culture and you will have to fight them. Leave it until they are in the early 40,000s - lets you gain a tech edge if possible and you don't want to give them time to switch to another victory condition or build up another city.

4. Minmaster

Minmaster Prince

yea sometimes i find out way too late and cant make it in time with my attacking force to capture that city. especially if this is a big map and that rival is a far away civ. it takes time to come up with 5 transports loaded with tanks to reach the enemy land and if lucky enough penetrate and take the city.

5. Stylesrj

Stylesrj Tabitha SEAL

Perhaps disabling cultural victory in your next game will solve the problem. Then everyone will have to use spaceships

6. AfterShafter

AfterShafter Deity

I've started keeping carrier/battleship/transport stacks handy as soon as I can get them, just for a measure against up and comers.

7. Dagta

Dagta Chieftain

Keep an eye on who gets the Sistine Chapel. It's a huge cultural bonus now. I've won several cultural victories in BTS.

8. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Yeah I can always tell when an AI is going for a cultural victory. Fortunately I always check the Victory conditions often enough so I haven't lost to an AI yet. They're usually pretty weak toward the end if they're going for a cultural victory.

9. Thrasybulus

Thrasybulus Chieftain

Espionage and a bit of luck is how to handle this. I won my first Emperor game after I kept Mansa's third cultural city in revolt for about the last 75 turns of the game. Luckily I popped a great spy just when that city was hitting 40,000.

I still had to capture Berlin to prevent Fred from winning a space race, however.

10. KMadCandy

KMadCandy giggling permanoob

awesome! :goodjob: way to improvise! i don't know if i'd have thought of that (so thanks for the idea, i may end up stealing it myself someday). grats on your first emperor win. sounds to me like you earned it, usually the most fun :)

11. jray

jray King

But it does take skill to do this while properly defending your cities. You just need to learn how to look for the warning signs of an opponent going for Cultural, and the other posters here have given great advice. Even if you can't raze one of the big cities, often just a bit of pillaging or espionage can do sufficient damage.

12. _alphaBeta_

_alphaBeta_ King

Yep, just happened to me as well. Can't get mad since I wasn't checking the victories screen. I happened to notice the problem when I was going to take a look at my spaceship. Too little too late and I lost.

I didn't think of the spy idea though. Cool idea as that could have bought me enough time to get my army across the ocean. Plus, I had exhausted the tech tree at that point, so I had a lot of left-over commerce that could be turned into espionage.

13. jray

jray King

Well, I'm not a big fan of having to check extra screens too much. It'd be cool to have the top 3 enemy culture cities displayed on the main screen, perhaps in the BUG mod like they did the GP point and GG point indicators.

14. Minmaster

Minmaster Prince

holy crap, you managed to sucessfully revolt the city for 75 straight turns? how many spies did you station in the city? how many of them failed? that just seems like a huge undertaking but i guess you gotta do what it takes to win.

nah i don't like to using custom setups. i like to play it the default rules.

15. Navarre

Navarre Legio XIII

Then have better espionage than the others and keep an eye on civs whose next discover suddenly turns to 500 turns, like said InvisibleStalke.

I'm more concerned about diplomatic victories. It's way harder to declare war on a civ who has vassalized 4 others than to raze a city. And it seems to happen in every game I play now...

16. Astax

Astax Prince

heh i only ever got culture victory once :O I don't have the stomach for it, as it takes lots of planing from the start of the game to do it properly. I mostly play with it turned off. It leads to dumb things happening. Very often I find myself disabling the most troublesome aspects fo the game like tech bartering and vassals, as they are a source of constant headaches and hardly enhance my gameplay.

17. jackdog

jackdog Warlord

Yup was lazy with the victories screen in my last game and 2 damn turns before space ship was due to land lost to cultural. All I can say is never again. It was most annoying as I was way ahead tech wise and had a massive standing army but only 3 coastal cities and just no time by the time I realised to build and deploy transports.

Never relax when you are ahead, you never know.