Lost Notes of Young Mansa Musa

I'd say the timing is perfect to post the story now. It shows that we've been burned badly by wild animals, and will support our argument to RB that we need to stick with defensive terrain since we're running away from a bear (in case we want to use that as our argument for why we are continuing towards Adventure One and not turning away).

I haven't seen a more tragic assembly of injured warriors as this sunrise. Ainwood and his slightly ravaged company brought skins just in time for the ceremonial burials of mother and the long sick Pit Master. It's a shame that their injuries have to wait till tomorrow. I doubt the lady will visit the house of healing today with all the chores at hand.

The newly widowed lady Aivo was naturally leading the ceremony this midday, pouring sweetened water and lilac flowers over the slightly decayed bodies. During the morning our master of tents made a proper dress from one of the scabby skins. I cried much that day, but I was not alone. Mother Indira was highly revered among all of the villagers, especially those who were in need. There were sorrowful women and children and sad looking elders among a number of people that seemed to grow for each drumbeat. They met up so they could pay her the last visit. It seemed that just another waste of life force.

As lady Aivo ordered ceremonial pyres to commence a stealthy Yossarian closed up to me from the moaning audience. His appearance seemed to be slightly less grey than usual, I would guess that the accidental streaks of sunlight did the trick and made the Master of Whispers seem to be more human in shape than he tend to be.

"I think we all agree that this deaths should not be in vain, young Mansa. Tomorrow I will suggest to the court a wonderful preposition for a camp name. I guess you like the idea of calling this settlement for the glorious city of Indira." I lifted my head and looked Yossarian directly in the eyes. There was actually two pair of eyes that were smiling that ceremony, just for a small amount of time. His and mine.

I think its best not to broadcast anything about our contacts with other teams, even if it is very obscure or seemlingly harmless/insignificant. Other teams might be wary to communicate with us if they think we will talk about them in the public forum.

There can be plenty of fun storytelling done talking about stuff that might not necessarily be happening in game. I've really love how Arkipeller has incorporated our naming scheme and some team members into the stories for instance.

Oh, and I can't wait to find out what happens next with our young Mansa! :D

I also think we must not tell anything at all about meeting new teams. Imagine what the potential reader from any team would think: "So, CFC already made a contact with some other team. They are forging an alliance right now, so even if we meet them soon, we will be handicapped already in dealing with them, so maybe it is better we to make alliance with the next team we meet, while being harsher to CFC."

:agree:What they said. Plus revealing that we met another team also is borderline breaking the rule of no diplo before contatct. Before we have contact with everyone we should stick to the safe info (i.e. trivial or something everyone already knows e.g. info of Wonders or GP). After contact with everyone it's all about what we want to reveal.

I also think we must not tell anything at all about meeting new teams. Imagine what the potential reader from any team would think: "So, CFC already made a contact with some other team. They are forging an alliance right now, so even if we meet them soon, we will be handicapped already in dealing with them, so maybe it is better we to make alliance with the next team we meet, while being harsher to CFC."

Good point. In any way: when should we find it appropiate to write about other teams? When we met a few? All?

I think actually that the hurt lion is more of a good story than RB is right now.:mischief:

Fun fact: Over 100 readers on Mansa Update at ISDG-forum. It seems people are actually reading.:mischief:

Fun fact: Over 100 readers on Mansa Update at ISDG-forum. It seems people are actually reading.:mischief:

:) They will. ANd just as I said, the stories can be two-sided weapon. It can reveal something which our enemies to use, and also can be used as a tool for propaganda.

:) They will. ANd just as I said, the stories can be two-sided weapon. It can reveal something which our enemies to use, and also can be used as a tool for propaganda.
:agree:

One thing I think is worth mentioning... at least some of the players are reading, hoping they will learn some morsel of information about what is going on in the game where they can't see it... even if they have to decode and read between the lines. As long as there is some hope for this, our stories will have rabid readers and we can use this to our advantage later on.

But if we go too trivial and pure fantasy with our stories, most players will lose interest, remember, as skilled a writer as you are Ark, you are no match for Gene Rodenbury or George Lucas or Stan Lee etc. If they want a good story they will go watch GoT or Avengers or read LoTR or something like that. They read the games RP thread to try to get some info on what is going on in the game. Without giving them something the "newspaper" loses readers.

One thing I think is worth mentioning... at least some of the players are reading, hoping they will learn some morsel of information about what is going on in the game where they can't see it... even if they have to decode and read between the lines. As long as there is some hope for this, our stories will have rabid readers and we can use this to our advantage later on.

They read the games RP thread to try to get some info on what is going on in the game. Without giving them something the "newspaper" loses readers.
All correct.

:agree:

But if we go too trivial and pure fantasy with our stories, most players will lose interest, remember, as skilled a writer as you are Ark, you are no match for Gene Rodenbury or George Lucas or Stan Lee etc. If they want a good story they will go watch GoT or Avengers or read LoTR or something like that. They read the games RP thread to try to get some info on what is going on in the game. Without giving them something the "newspaper" loses readers.

That was... less motivating... This is also why I find it hard to write for the Barb.Dom-game... I find no point in doing it.

That was... less motivating... This is also why I find it hard to write for the Barb.Dom-game... I find no point in doing it.

Arkipeller, I've been meaning to respond to this. IMO, your stories have been excellent in giving out just the right amount and type of info. For now, I think the main purpose of our stories has been to show that we're good sports, and to get the other teams hooked on our entries. Beyond that, I do believe this is another avenue to have fun with this game, and I think it's a lot of fun reading your stories. Even if not everything makes the final cut (ie, revealing Lord Parkin as our Fast Worker), I enjoy reading your stories and hope you'll keep them coming.

There will be times when we will probably want to get out a story for the strategic reason of revealing a particular detail or piece of info we want other teams to know, so I get the concern of not turning off the other teams by posting unnecessary stories. However, I don't think we're at that point yet. We've still got lots of tidbits to reveal (such as the team roles of Caledorn, Sommerswerd, Dave Shack, General 2metraninja, the departing bcool, and lots of others). Maybe we can sprinkle in some more "worthwhile" info to keep the other teams reading, such as the fact that we have Food hooked up, so our people won't be getting sick anymore like Mama Indira did.

Well, anyways, I'll share what I've got. This is a sort of 'tales from the front' thing. Govannon, Flauros, and Cardith are the recurring characters here, though minor ones will crop up from time to time.

Next time we kill a barbarian warrior
[unit namesake] leapt up on a great stump, waving his club about. "Men of Terasvin, now is the time! We have shadowed this band of brutes for days. Too long have we suffered them to be marauders in our land. Now, once and for all, we fight!" The cheering was cut short by the brutes themselves, who had seized the opportunity of the little speech to close the gap unnoticed. [unit namesake] was struck from behind before he noticed a thing. He fell heavily.
Now the chaos of battle reigned. The sound of splintering clubs and bones mixed with roars of fury and shrieks of pain. Soon, though, order began to reassert itself. The brutes fell one by one. Soon there was but one left. He ran, but was felled by a club thrown to the back if his head.
A huge man came roaring madly out of the trees. Those men who were still standing tried to arrange themselves into a defensive formation, but their stumbling was interrupted by a shout of "HOLD!" For it was Flauros, [unit namesake]'s bodyguard, who had been relieving himself in the bush. He stopped. The look on his face was almost comical, asking, "Did I miss all the fun?" But then he became serious.
"Where's [unit namesake]?"
"Follow me," Govannon, who had yelled "hold", and who as a result was being looked to to act, said gently, and led Flauros to the stump. Flauros' face was like stone.

When we train a mounted unit
Cardith approached the horse. He looked at the stirrup with great unease.
"Oh, come on, little one," said Govannon, striding forward. He quickly put a foot in the stirrup, hiding his own unease, and hoisted himself up. So successful was he that he kept right on going and tumbled off the other side. Flauros was beside himself with laughter.
Govannon leapt to his feet, summoning what remained of his dignity. "Now you try," he said to Cardith. Cardith looked at the horse, and back at Govannon's desperately straight face. It was too much. He burst out laughing. So did Govannon.
"Listen," Govannon aimed at Flauros, "you so much as breathe a word of this to the men later..." And he trailed off, snorting. He didn't bother to tell Cardith the same. He knew he wouldn't.
Flauros had regained his composure. "It is a fine first day in the career of the Terasvin Riders," he pronounced solemnly.
Govannon looked at him. "I'll have you know we are still the Terasvin Raiders."
"Oh, with your accent, there's not an inch of difference," Flauros shot back.
"There very much is, though to the untrained, boorish Indirian ear..."
"Listen," began Flauros. He screwed up his face in preparation for what was sure to be a horrendous distortement. Govannon smacked him.
"You southerners are so touchy," chuckled Flauros.

Another storyline (though I haven't any stories finished yet), would follow a Whisperer named Capria in one of the other teams' capitals. Probably Adventure One. This would take the form of reports to the Master of Whisperers.

What might interweave the three lines (Mansa Musa, Three Amigos, and Whisperer Tales) would be the introduction of yours truly as Guildmaster of the Veil of Night. The Veil would serve the in-story purpose of active espionage (i.e. Spy units) versus Whisperer passive espionage. Flauros would become a member (though no one in-story would know, and his reports would not include his name for a while). I would also plant a Veil spy in Capria's town, and a Whisperer in the army. The Veil and Whisperers would build mutual distrust until they both have active and passive branches and are more at war with each other than with the outside. Figure plenty of snarking between Yossarian and meself (in-story, of course. We're totally cool outside).

At the dicovery of Alphabet
A visitor was shown into the throne room. Tall and absurdly thin, with his mouth permanently etched into a secretive half-smile. He bowed obsequiously.
"Hail, my lord King." He paused. I waited. Uncomfortably, he continued. " My name is Talonschild, my lord King, and I represent the Veil of Night."
At this Yossarian bent to whisper in my ear. "The Whisperers know them. They are saboteurs, thieves, assassins. They pass unseen and work havoc upon their unfortunate victims." Only now did I notice the two of them were intensely distrustful of each other.
"As Guildmaster of the Veil," Talonschild continued, cutting Yossarian off, "I offer you our services, to be your hidden hand, to act on what information your eminent Master of Whisperers is able to provide. The Whisperers and the Veil complement each other, I think. The Whisperers learn, and the Veil strikes."
"And what is the cost?"
The smile broadened ever so slightly. "Truly, no man could best you in a deal, my lord King. We need your funding to properly act. No more than to share what you already give the Whisperers." I glanced at Yossarian. He reluctantly nodded agreement.
"Then we accept, Talonschild. Go."

Thoughts?

Top Bottom