Lost production on obsolete units

geegee

Chieftain
Just started playing Civ V. I was producing a warrior in one of my cities when I discovered metal casting (which makes warriors obsolete). A few turns later, when my warrior should have been produced, I got zilch. No warrior. No money to compensate for lost production time (like you'd get when producing a wonder that another civ produces first).

Has anyone else noticed this? I guess it would be slightly less irritating if you at least got a message that you were producing an obsolete unit after discovering new research, but I sure didn't see any notification.:confused:

You production usually converts to the superior unit and I suspect that any contribution you make to the warrior should carry over to the swordsman. I'm guessing that since you didn't have iron you couldn't produce a swordsman and it went wrong.

Post up a bug report if you've got a save game and can reproduce it. No point just complaining about it.

Saved game attached. New York should be producing a warrior in the next turn.

The same type of thing happened to me later when I was producing something else (a catapult maybe?). I'm thinking this issue may not be a bug (i.e., the game may be intentionally designed to do this). Still, very irritating.

Attachments

• Washington_0104 BC-0275.Civ5Save
    467.3 KB · Views: 296
Loaded the gamesave and can confirm it. The production on the warrior (about 35:c5production:) is lost entirely and is not put into the unit that obsoletes the warrior.

I would consider this not working as designed, or more likely just an oversight not picked up by QA. Losing all production on a unit is not very fair.

Moderator Action: Moved to Confirmed Bugs, and listed it.

I'm getting this error even on the latest Gods & Kings - see the Composite Bowman being built in the attached when its obsoleted by the Longbowman. Perhaps the problem is that Crossbowmen have been replaced by Longbowman, removing the expected replacement.

Attachments

• Maritime England.Civ5Save
    1.2 MB · Views: 267
Top Bottom