LotR discussions

Arathorn

Catan player
LotR7 is about to start....but RBP11b finished, too, so I've got an open slot...for a fun game.

LotR8 will be a bit of a diversion from the difficult last few games in the series. I've tentatively titled it "Schizophrenic Fun" or something of that nature.

I'm looking for comments in this thread, so I can start it either later this week or next week.

Difficulty: Monarch (or Regent)
Civ: Up for discussion
Map size: Large
Opponents: Max #
Map type: All random
Variant:
I can't tell if we're one schizophrenic leader/family or if we're mimicking some of the difficulties in transition in power, or if we're part of some mad monkey cult.

Each player plays 3d6 (3-18, determined by rolling 3 dice) turns, under a variant set of rules, through 1000 AD. At 1000 AD, each player only gets 2d6 turns.

The variant is determined by rolling two six-sided dice, taking their product, and consulting this table....

Code:
1 – Zealot – must declare war on everyone and stay at war with 
      them all your entire turn
2 – Robin Hood – must give away one of our cities to the lowest-
      scoring surviving civ
3 – Oaf – tactless mode, which means no initiating diplomacy and 
      no counter-offers if the AI offers you something
4 – Anti-plutocrat – must end each of your turns with less than 10 
      gold in the treasury
5 – Trade Baron – all luxes/resources that we can acquire/sell 
      must be bought/sold from every other civ (e.g. if we have
      spare iron and the Zulus are the only civ which doesn’t, we 
      must sell them iron.  If they can’t afford it, we have to give it 
      to them.  Similarly, if somebody has spices for sale, a Trade 
      Baron must do everything in his/her power to purchase those 
      spices.)
6 – Hawk – each city completing a non-military build (anything but 
      military unit or barracks) must build something military (unit or 
      barracks)
8 – Sentimentalist – NO spending on science and no scientists 
      (long for the “good old days”)
9 – Regent in Power – player must "skip" 1-6 turns before 
      beginning play.  Skipping turns means shift-enter to move no
      units and accepting default builds and pop-ups.
10 – Revolutionary – must revolt at beginning of turns, even if the 
      final government is the same as the in-coming government
12 – Builder – each city completing unit of any type must next 
      start a building
15 – Egotist – all available wonders (minor or major) must be 
      started by a city, if possible
16 – Suffragist – all slaves must be disbanded, joined to cities, or 
      returned to their native civ
18 – People’s Choice – the government must be as free as 
      possible, so democracy, republic, communism, monarchy,
      despotism in descending order.  If the government is less free 
      than is possible, a revolt occurs and a new form of 
      government must be established
20 – Tyrant – personal power is important.  Government must be 
      communism, monarchy, or despotism, selected in that order
24 – Hippie – peace must be made with all civilizations as soon as 
      possible, even if it means paying for it
25 – Science Freak – science must run as high as possible 
      without going into negative balance (no exploiting)
30 – Insecure – every in-coming city build order must change.  
      Lux and science slider must change.  Any on-going deals that 
      can be cancelled must be cancelled.  All worker actions (or as 
      many as can be reasonably found) must be changed.
36 – Overloaded – roll twice and do both, ignoring this roll if re-
      rolled.  If the roles contradict (e.g. Science Freak and
      Sentimentalist, re-roll the second until something possible 
      occurs)

Reports are encouraged to be "in character" as much as possible, and actions are, too.

To keep things honest, each player is only allowed ONE veto stamp per turn. When you get the game, you are only allowed to change the build order in ONE city. And you can't just wait and change it later. If the previous owner started the Colossus, you keep building the Colossus (exception, when a wonder is built, the city building that wonder may be freely cascaded by player's choice). Unless, of course, the variant rule says otherwise.

===========================================

To discuss:
- Who wants to play?
- Better/different monkey rules? I like this list quite a bit and spent some time on it, but I'm always willing to see suggestions....
- Religious civ? Random? All the revolutions could be rough if we're not religious, but ..... Well, winning is not high on my priority list for this game.
- Anything else?

Arathorn

Interesting... I'm interested, but think I need to cut back on my SG committments, especially as I'll probably be gone all of September...

JMB

Fantastic! I love the sound of this variant - reminds me of the Diceman books - if you've ever seen them?

I'd be more than happy to sign up if you can put up with my 'no weekend net access' ways... I will also be away on holiday for a week at some point in September.

I think religious would be useful, although not too many of the outcomes (3?) force a government change and they wouldn't be nearly so 'bad' if we were religious...

It could be suitable to go random. Or possibly somewhere with a recent history of revolution/coups and general 'suprise government change' - the Zulus (africa), Aztecs (tenuously south america) and Russians spring to mind...

The outcomes all look good to me... seems to cover everything and give a pleasantly schitzoid variety.

Monarch is fine, regent would be OK too.

You could even use online dice!

Another nice one from the variant man, I'll have to pass. As I noted I am cutting down to one SG at a time.

I'm guessing that you owned the 'Arduin Grimoire' at some point in your life.

20 - Critical Hit

00 - Head explodes, fragments scattered over a wide area.

I am interested in playing.

I will print out and look at the 36 types. Some of them will be more likely than others of course.

I would really like to play as well. I'll be on vacation the end of August, but as long as that isn't too big of a deal count me in!

Love the idea!!

I think I am getting a bit overloaded (and I had promised not to try another SG this month...), but I'm too curious to see what it feels like. Means I'll have to cut it from my working time... ;)

Can I join?

Before I get into this discussion, will their be a team vote to kick out something is to extreme? A early 1 roll with almost no military could be fatal - do we really want to be at that level of risk of early loss?

Also, how to we resolve contradictions? A 36 is rolled, followed by a 1 & 24. Must make peace & must declare war?

One thing you could do for LKendter's point is allow each player a single "mulligan".

Each player can pick a single turn where he rejects the roll and rolls again. He must then go with the second roll. Once each player uses his mulligan, its gone and he has to keep each roll thereafter.

The point being if you get a really horrible roll, you can try to avoid it. So if all war is suicidal, the chance is 1/1296 not 1/36.

This sounds hilarious. It's a great idea.

LK, rule 36 sez: If the roles contradict (e.g. Science Freak and
Sentimentalist, re-roll the second until something possible occurs)
I think that covers your hippie-zealot case.

A suggestion: you could bring the rule-table into play at some threshold - when you've got 3 cities, or upon the discovery of Mysticism, or something like that.

Robin Hood could be softened so that you can give away all your techs and money and resources and luxuries, instead of a city, if you have less than 3 cities.

It might make the game more survivable if contracts were considered binding: no breaking 20-turn deals that were made in previous incarnations. (Except for rule 30, which requires you to break them all - that would be a good bombshell rule to leave in place.) That could even oblige you not to deed away a city that controls a luxury you're exporting, so you'd have to pick another.

Originally posted by LKendter
Before I get into this discussion, will their be a team vote to kick out something is to extreme? A early 1 roll with almost no military could be fatal - do we really want to be at that level of risk of early loss?

Also, how to we resolve contradictions? A 36 is rolled, followed by a 1 & 24. Must make peace & must declare war?
The second one would be taken care of by this:
Originally posted by Arathron
If the roles contradict (e.g. Science Freak and Sentimentalist, re-roll the second until something possible occurs)

The first is unlikely to happen, but early on there probably won't be enough to dog pile us until we can make peace.

My concerns would more be the amount of time we spend in anarchy due to changes in government if we aren't religous.

It would think we would need to be Religous/Industrious.

Note the difficulty level -- Monarch or Regent. This is meant to be fun and relaxed. I don't think it will be that hard....

Giving away a city? Early on, you can't be exporting luxuries/resources very easily anyway, so it's not too crippling to give up a single city -- it won't break deals. Later on, just found a junk city somewhere and give it away. Or give away a hopelessly corrupt one. Even with craziness, we'll probably out-expand the AI.

Andvruss -- it's not beyond your difficulty level. If you want to play, we can make it work.

All -- if there's enough interest for two teams, we'll form 'em up and go at it. Not a competition, though! Much too random for that and competing would be contrary to the spirit of this game!

Extreme risks? The only one I really see is a Regent in Power after a Zealot. That could be pretty painful. Otherwise, solid development and a sense of humor and we'll be fine! It's a tragically easy level to make up for our craziness!

Mulligans? I'm against 'em on principle, but I could probably be convinced the other way. Of course, the die rolls will be private, so nobody will really know, unless you say something.

Religious civ? I'm with meldor -- that might be very important. Exactly 1/6th of the likelihood is probably going to require a revolt. That's a lot of anarchy if we're not religious. Industrious? I don't think it's necessary. But I'm happy to do religious if everybody wants...but going non-religious would be fine by me, too. I just have no respect for the AI at a low level.

Definite interest (and in one version for sure!):
Arathorn
TriviAl
Snaproll
meldor
Karasu

Possible interest:
andvruss
lkendter
puzzlinon

We can make more spots available, if there's interest!

Arathorn

Well if you make it unreal easy - regent - sign me up.

Religous IMHO is mandatory. With the number of possible anarchy that is the only way I think this would not be anarchy overload.

Some of these could be painfull - hippie gives away 2 cities to get peace. :crazyeye:

How do we resolved not possible scenarios? For example - builder, and the city has built all available buildings?

Just a few questions: for Regent in Power, it says 1-6 turns to skip. Does that mean you would have to roll 1 die to find that out? Also, for Insecure, you said every in-coming city build order must change, does that mean that every city has to change production to something else?

Glad to be in the roster. I've already got the dice rolling in my hands... ;)

I also agree on religious. The second civ trait doesn't really matter much.
Should we rather pick the civ based on the UU?
A religious Civ with a "crazy" UU...

Originally posted by LKendter
How do we resolved not possible scenarios? For example - builder, and the city has built all available buildings?
I would suggest that the person do their best to fulfill the terms. If you draw builder and have no building to build then trade for a tech to get a building, meanwhile, set cities maxed out to a pre-build.

Top Bottom