LOTR: War of the Ring ver. 0.9

Oh that's cool... OK, I have a couple more questions here...

In general, how did you design the map? I love it, but it's slightly alternative to what I've seen, I kinda want to hear your inspiration? :)

When playing the game as Gondor, I notice there's a little 'gap' in between the White Mountains. What purpose does this serve?

Where is the great haven of Umbar?

Hopefully, those aren't too many questions. :p

Not too many questions, but I have to jog my memory. :)

The map was actually the reason why I made the scenario. It was probably the biggest hurdle to getting started, but once it was done, I had to finish the rest. It was a randomly generated map that I then modified in detail according to the Atlas of Middle-earth by Karen Wynn Fonstad (an excellent reference). In that book she speculates on distances, climates, and geological morphology based on her training as a geologist and cartographer. So for instance, her discussion on the "uncanny speed" of the Ents figured greatly in determining the distances in the Gap of Rohan area and their unit attributes.

The gap in the White Mountains has been kind of controversial, but it is indeed in Tolkien's maps. There is a hilly pass in the western part of the mountain chain. From a gameplay perspective, it also helps keep Isengard relevant and Gondor on its toes. It also underscores Rohan's role as a buffer state to Gondor.

Umbar has its Great Wonder, the Corsairs Coven. In Appendix A of The Lord of the Rings the phrasing is, "the great havens of Pelargir and Umbar" (p. 1022), so it does not seem like "Great Haven of Umbar" qualifies as an actual Wonder in and of itself.

The map was actually the reason why I made the scenario. It was probably the biggest hurdle to getting started, but once it was done, I had to finish the rest. It was a randomly generated map that I then modified in detail according to the Atlas of Middle-earth by Karen Wynn Fonstad (an excellent reference). In that book she speculates on distances, climates, and geological morphology based on her training as a geologist and cartographer. So for instance, her discussion on the "uncanny speed" of the Ents figured greatly in determining the distances in the Gap of Rohan area and their unit attributes.

That is absolutely fascinating! I never knew! Part of me just wants to write a book on this scenario, since it's so intricate and interesting! Thanks for making such an awesome piece of work! :)

The gap in the White Mountains has been kind of controversial, but it is indeed in Tolkien's maps. There is a hilly pass in the western part of the mountain chain. From a gameplay perspective, it also helps keep Isengard relevant and Gondor on its toes. It also underscores Rohan's role as a buffer state to Gondor.

Interesting! I guess I overlooked that. You really pay attention to detail! Sometimes, if I'm in a "cheating mood" (as I mentioned earlier), I'll use it to sneak Frodo into Gondor. Other times, as you mentioned, Isengard will send 50,000 Uruk-hai to attack my infrastructure. It really does keep one on their toes. :p

Umbar has its Great Wonder, the Corsairs Coven. In Appendix A of The Lord of the Rings the phrasing is, "the great havens of Pelargir and Umbar" (p. 1022), so it does not seem like "Great Haven of Umbar" qualifies as an actual Wonder in and of itself.

Well, what I meant by this, is where is the actual gulf/haven on the map?

Thanks for answering my questions! After 5 years, this is still a hoot to play! :)

Well, what I meant by this, is where is the actual gulf/haven on the map?

Thanks for answering my questions! After 5 years, this is still a hoot to play! :)

Thanks for playing it. I'm glad it's still got some replay value after all this time.

Looking at the map, I think I was fine with the way the tiles made a little bay south of Umbar and didn't think to extend the firth deeper inland. I see now though that in maps that include Harad (apparently later editions cropped it out, as in my copy of LOTR), the bay is actually as long or longer than Mithlond, so I probably should have done as you suggest.

Looking at the map, I think I was fine with the way the tiles made a little bay south of Umbar and didn't think to extend the firth deeper inland. I see now though that in maps that include Harad (apparently later editions cropped it out, as in my copy of LOTR), the bay is actually as long or longer than Mithlond, so I probably should have done as you suggest.

Oh well, no big deal. :D This is still such a wonderful game. :goodjob:

Dunno if you realize, but I based parts of my scenario, The Return of the Shadow, on this very scenario. Is it OK that I used some of your civilopedia text? I gave you full credit on the Thank You Page. I sent a couple messages, but never got in touch with you, so I guess, better late than never.

Top Bottom