1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LotR23 Only One (Built)

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Arathorn, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

We begin.

We're the mighty Vikings, with a maceman UU replacement. We're Aggressive and Financial, probably the two best words to describe my Civ play. All things considered, I think it's a pretty good civ and it looks like an alright area of the world. We have some seafood, some rice, and a lot of forests to chop.

Moving the scout reveals gems on a small peninsula to our west. We're probably on the western end of the world. If we don't move now, we'll work those gems, though we may well get them in our borders for happiness. I think long and hard about where to settle, as this will be our only settling of the game. I finally decide in-place is as good an option as any other I can reasonably justify, so I settle where I am. No plains hills, moving west gets more sea, which doesn't have hammers until Maoi Statues, moving east just means a potential area behind the lines and no ability to work the rice immediately.

With seafood, though, I start us on a work boat immediately. We know fishing, so we can get to this without delay -- very handy. I start us on Mining, heading to Bronze Working. Chopping, slavery, copper -- all critical. Religions can wait (and be conquered).

That hut you see gives us maps, which I'm not fond of. But it does reveal we're basically south of the equator, with tundra further south. And borders already visible to our east. That turns out to be Gilgamesh, whom we meet a few turns later.

Another hut gives us 30 gold on turn 8 and turn 12 shows Buddhism FIDL. A couple more turns and we meet Hannibal of Carthage. Three more turns sees us getting 37 gold from a hut.

Turn 19, we meet Isabella, who is a must in every game I play. She, of course, was the founder of Buddhism. We meet the other leaders shortly thereafter, still exploring east. Asoka is met on turn 22, Roosevelt at 24, and Justinian on turn 26. That's the turn Hinduism is FIDL and we complete our work boat and start a worker.

Turn 27, we get a scout from a hut, clear over by Roosevelt at the Eastern edge of the world. A couple turns later, another hut gives us maps, telling me far more about the frozen tundra south of Izzy and Roosie than I really find necessary -- or even healthy.

By 31 turns, we discover how to work bronze. This brings the EXTREMELY welcome news that we have copper very close -- like just NE of Nidaros. I also revolt into Slavery, because we'll want to be there and now has the least cost, I believe. I put us on Agriculture, so we can farm our rice soon, too.

At turn 34, I can whip our worker and I do so. We have reasonable food but need to get our lands improved as quickly as possible. Whipping also means we get back to growing more quickly. All-in-all, I think it a very necessary thing to do. I start us on a barracks. Yes, Nidora is undefended, but after the barracks, we'll have copper connected and can go straight to building valuable axemen. Another work boat would also be good, I imagine.

At turn 336, our northern scout is attacked by a wolf and survives. He later finds a hut with 102 gold. Lots of huts to find, but no techs. :(

Right now, the northern scout is trying to find a northern way around Hannibal, while the southern scout intends to return home and scout the areas closest to home much much better.

My thought is to wait until Gilgamesh founds a second city and it grows a bit and then relieve him of both cities, with axemen. More immediately, our worker should complete his mine, increasing our hammer production and then he can go farm the rice, to make us grow more quickly.

Here's the area close to home and our well-filled-out mini-map.

Roster:
    Arathorn -- just played
    LKendter -- up for 30 turns
    Strauss -- on deck (15 turns)
    Admiral Kutzov
    Tartan

and we'll play 15 per player for quite a while. If/when we get large and/or in a large war, we may go down to 10/player.

Arathorn

Attached Files:

2. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

I see it for tomorrow.

3. Admiral Kutzov

Admiral Kutzov Idiot Emeritus

Checking in. Uruk's on a hill. Bad news with archers, even worse with Gil's UU, vultures. We may want to take him out sooner than later.

4. Quotey

Quotey Emperor

Lurking. I played a game like this with Ragnar in Warlords. On an archipelago though, but in BTS maintenence would murder ya.

And worse news with Protective!

5. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

We just must not let Gilgamesh get access to metal -- that's all. Protective is a definite nuisance, but enough axemen should be able to deal with that. I didn't get his area completely scouted, but we should be able to do a bit better even now. I'm almost positive nobody else went into Slavery, so we should at least have a bit of a trigger when he gets BW.

Arathorn

6. LKendter

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/1898/LotR23_BC-2250.CivBeyondSwordSave

3000 BC
    There is nothing to change.
    (IT) A super early rush of Gilgamesh is the plan. The odds of also having iron are almost zero.
    Stonehenge is ruled out. This leaves IMHO getting pottery as the only logical choice.

2925 BC
    I work on farming the rice.
    Nidaros will grow unhappy, so the copper mine is worked to get the barracks and a MP in place.

2725 BC
    Time to get another hill mined.

2550 BC
    (IT) Open borders will help out exploration plans, so I go for writing.

2425 BC
    (IT) A random event gives us 2 extra hammers from a mine.

2400 BC
    Gilgamesh already has a settler out. The only good news it no metal units are protecting it.

2375 BC
    (IT) We lost one of our exploring scouts.

=======================

New Updates

We have a stack of 3 axeman for the attack. A fourth is heading to the stack.

I have the capitol cranking out 16 shields a turn, so the axe run will be available shortly.
    We may want to temporarily open borders to confirm Gilgamesh is metal free.

7. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

The AI used to never get BW without immediately revolting to Slavery. I think simply checking Gil's civics will reveal whether or not he has BW. Unless that's changed.....

4 axes should easily take care of Gil's second city. But I expect we'll need 6-8 for his capital. We should keep cranking them. That's OK, though. We want time for the second city to grow to size 2, so we can capture, not raze, it. Or we can go for the capital first and the second city second.

We should also do proper spying weighting. Gil's going away. I know it's only a few spy points, but let's go ahead and weight everybody but Gil 1 in the spy screen, so that we don't waste any points spying on a civ that's going away soon.

Two extra hammers from a mine is very handy. That'll be 1000 hammers by the end of the game, probably. Quite a nice special event. Not the best that could happen, but a good one nonetheless.

Roster:
    Arathorn
    LKendter -- just played
    Strauss -- up (15 turns)
    Admiral Kutzov-- on deck
    Tartan

Arathorn

8. Strauss

Strauss King

Got it, playing tonight

9. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

Lee, I mean to ask -- is Gil settling towards us? I would think those dyes near us would be quite appealing. I'm hoping so, anyway.

Also, we should pick a friend or two to keep all game. It's always nice to have another civ one can rely on for trading and/or ganging up on a foe. Asoka or Roosevelt would seem to be reasonable options. Hannibal is going to have to go at some point, too, after he settles more cities for us. There's just no way to have an effective empire with Hannibal in the middle. He blocks too much. That war can wait quite a while, though.

Arathorn

10. LKendter

The settler was SW of Uruk.
    IIRC you will see the second city on the map.

11. Strauss

Strauss King

I paused my set on turn 10. I invaded Sumeria, and our Axes marched in to find this:

The city might still crank out an Archer, but our Axes should do the trick. But do we want to keep the city? Arathorn's comments seemed to suggest we should, but it doesn't look all that attractive to me. Considering the variant (with which I have no experience) I guess we might want an extra city as soon as possible, but I just wanted to run it by the group since it's an irreversible decision.

Depending on the response I get, I could finish up tonight.

12. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

The only way we're going to grow our civ is by capturing cities. Eridu is not ideal, but it does get us pigs, a second source of copper (and denies it to others), and means we don't have to conquer this land a second time. I was hoping to get the ivory and lakes with this city (or north of there), but we can't have everything.

Anyway, I'm still 100% in favor of capturing. 2 excellent cities and one adequate city is better than 2 excellent cities and even more land near us for poaching. We need to get to the domination limit somehow. I expect Eridu will eventually give us deer, too, for more health, even though we can't work that square.

Arathorn

13. LKendter

The city has decent growth, and gains a new resource (pigs). My vote is capture.

14. Admiral Kutzov

Agree with capture Eridu. With the pigs, the grassland and 6 forests, it might someday be a place to make a National Park. We can also irrigate most of the tundra in that city.

15. Lucky1972

Lucky1972 Prince

I could repeat your exact words in this thread, that´s exactly how I felt when I saw it (too late).

BTW, just a small note about irrigating the tundra: I might be wrong, but when I was playing "The People of the Deer" (Boreal map) I tried to chain irrigate tundra after CS and I couldn´t. I was only able to farm tundra with direct access to fresh water (and that was after Biology too). As I said, I might be wrong here, the information should be checked.

Lucky.

16. Strauss

Strauss King

The turn after resuming my set, Gilgamesh decides to stop our Axemen with the mighty Workers of Eridu.

But to no avail, the city falls with no casualties to the Axes (and the Workers are captured of course).

Our troops are now closing in on Uruk. I don't know what Gilgamesh is smoking this game: now he whips out a Settler with Axemen surrounding the city.

We have this war wrapped up, just get one or two more Axemen to the front and the Sumerians are gone.

Attached Files:

17. Admiral Kutzov

Nicely done.

he's founding our next city? :lol:

I have it, won't be able to play until tomorrow.

edit: looked at the save. I think I can finish gil without more forces. Shall I keep rushing military in prep for Hanni or build the kulture/infra a bit? IMHO we need another worker. we'll need some spears for Hanni. how aggressive are we at this point?

18. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

I don't think we want to be TOO aggressive at this point. I count a conquest win as a loss. I think we want Hanni to build a few cities near us, so we can finish filling in our land. I thnk he's clearly our next target. I think waiting until he has 4ish cities might be our best bet, though. We will need/want a reasonably significant amount of land from our war(s) with him, I would think.

What's Hannibal's UU? I'm not up on all these details and I'm not at a Civ4 computer for the next 24ish hours to check. Anyway, if he has 3 cities, we might do a quick trim, but only if it leaves open the option of filling in our holes. We don't want an empire so spread out it cripples us financially.

I guess I don't think we're TOO aggressive at this point. But we're preparing for our next war. I think I'd have at least one city building military units pretty much all the time. But probably not all 3.

What I'm a bit worried about is our near-total lack of happiness sources. Gold only will we have any time soon. Monarchy for Hereditary Rule might be huge here. Or is there some wonder we want to try to grab? We have a bit of breathing room after Gil is gone, I believe.

Those are my rambling thoughts.

Arathorn

19. Strauss

Strauss King

The Numidian Cavalry, a Horse Archer with -1 strength but +50% vs. melee units.

We also have the Gems near our capital, not visible in my screenshot. I can't recall any Ancient/Classical Wonders that give happiness. Perhaps Pyramids for Hereditary Rule, but that'll take us a long time to build without the Industrious trait or Stone resources, so we'll get to Monarchy sooner.

20. LKendter

Don't forget that post calendar we have dyes, and we have two resources that forges help (gold & gems). It will take a bit, but for only three cities we have doing well for happiness.

In addition, as some point our culture will grab ivory, or an AI still settler ivory so that we can grab that.