1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LotR27 Science-Scorning Spacists

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Arathorn, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

Nothing left to do now, really, but make sure Corinth is safe. We don't really have any deeply inland cities.

Joao managed a few nukes himself. FWIW, quechas appear to resist nuclear annihilation quite well. :p We started to glow.

Well, I had a bunch of tac nukes I didn't use on Lisbon. Let's have some fun! :crazyeye:

OK, so I played 12 turns instead of 10. The last ones don't really count. We were completely safe by that point. Joao did land a dozen or so modern armor (plus a couple mobile SAMs) on our continent, but I sac'd a bunch of left-over cannons on them and they just sat around. We didn't even lose a single city. Glowed, yes, but that didn't matter.

Once Lisbon fell, it was inevitable. I just shift-entered away the last turn (from the save file below). I played kinda hard until then, for practice, but.... We get

Ahhh....feels good.

Replay was kind of interesting. ZPV got us the troops to go from

to

OK, not just ZPV. But decimating Pericles really helped our economy. That was a big part of picking up ... what, 30ish techs in 50 turns? Nice close AI cities with our religion. Trading. Fun stuff. We ended with ~60k unused espionage points, too! :lol: That's a lotta tech.

I always find final demographics interesting.

Running all cash hurt our GNP. We got more total commerce running higher espionage. Oh well. The nuking and workshopping of towns didn't help. Oh, and Joao wasted a good dozen guided missiles pillaging the landscape, too.

Only "question" left was how history would remember us....

Was there any doubt? I didn't think so.

Thanks to everyone. The game seemed to have it all -- huge climb from behind, nice wars, rush to space, final twists razing a capital. Most importantly, it had great teammates. Thanks.

Arathorn

Attached Files:

2. Kylearan

Kylearan compound eye

Hi,

congrats on the victory, and thanks for a great read all! :goodjob:

-Kylearan

3. Rex Tyrannus

Rex Tyrannus 280lbs of gross stupidity

Wow. I really didn't think we'd pull this off. Great variant, Arathorn.

4. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

It did look bleak there for a while, but espionage is pretty powerful. And it turned out that our capital with those islands nearby worked to our advantage because our distance "payments" for stealing techs were always tiny.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Glad it was a fun read, too, Ky. You need to start working on your calendar for ~6 months out! :p

Arathorn

5. arkenstone

arkenstone Chieftain

wow! wait let me intro duce myself i am arathorns son! nice job on the win guys. i have been watching this game a lot and i just decided to post and tell you guys great job i did not think you guys would play that well the nomber one rankeed guy1 that is threw the roof.

6. T-hawk

T-hawk Transcend

Awesome finish. You did it justice, both in the play and in the report. Thanks for sponsoring a great game, and to the team for letting me climb on board with you. If that's a finish to LotR SGs in Civ 4 (aside from Passing the Torch), it stands as a worthy pinnacle.

If you get a chance, would you care to post a save from just before the attack? I'm curious both to see if it could have been done with conventional weapons, and to click ahead to the win date to see if Joao's ship actually was ahead of ours.

7. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

"Passing the Torch" is not a LotR game. It's its own particular brand of game. Fun but deliberately not LotR branded.

I have a save from the turn before the attack (I don't think I saved right before the attack but I'm not sure. I'll check). I will try to remember to post tonight. Conventional weapons would be interesting. The two missile carriers in front of Lisbon make it a bit more complicated, but I'd give it a pretty high chance of working, honestly.

2 guided missiles into the defending ships. 2 into the city. Attack with our now-empty missile carrier. Work our way through the ships and bomb out the culture defense from sea, then use guided missiles to weaken the defenders. Seems awfully likely to work. Though if I were going that route, I'd've had more guided missiles in the area ready to go and probably delayed 1 more turn.

Arathorn

8. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Good job everyone, fun game. It did look bleak at various stages but never lost hope it was possible.

9. Rowain deWolf

Rowain deWolf King

Good Game :goodjob: and Congrats on the win :beer: