1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LotR27 Science-Scorning Spacists

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Arathorn, Dec 8, 2009.

1. ZPV

ZPV Short for ZPVCSPLFUIFDPEF

Here are a couple of thoughts for preliminary dotmaps, of the area closest to us.

2. ZPV

ZPV Short for ZPVCSPLFUIFDPEF

Yes, we are at the happiness limit, although I haven't revolted to Hinduism yet.

I was referring to which techs a lonely AI will be willing to trade us. Since neither Alpha nor Monarchy allows any units or buildings, the AI see them as having no monopoly value, and are willing to trade them to us.
    As for what we would trade, I'm not entirely sure. Code of Laws and Metal Casting are possibilities. The time we would have to wait for Alpha or Monarchy to be available in trade is a concern, however.

3. Jabah

Jabah Emperor

Regarding your dotmap, I would send a WB around the islands (starting with the small 1 tile one) to see if there are anymore seafood.

IF you have more sea food around the tiny 1tile, it could be a good Moai city, as it cold borrow 2tiles with good production.

4. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

I agree on the need for an exploring workboat or two. We need/want to map those islands to our east, too (and see what's south and try to circumnavigate and ... and ... and ...). There might be a good site or two over there. Can probably find something. I'd wait until after GLH, though.

I'm not hugely jazzed by either dot map, but I'm not necessarily seeing another worth walking 20 turns for either, except maybe that copper (upkeep costs are as crow flies, aren't they?). I think I have a preference for map 2, though. Not sure why -- probably faster growth of red dot. We miss an isthmus city that way, but I don't think the sail around Cuzco will be that bad.

Whip settler for two pop and put all overflow into GLH sounds good to me. If we go with second map red dot, it can borrow crabs and maybe make another worker or a workboat on its own while Cuzco completes GLH (hopefully quickly with marble and overflows).

Good turns and we just have to keep moving on. Game is still pretty standard now (except no library and scientists for great scientist). Writing is reasonably devalued for us because of that. Start pushing towards Metal Casting next? I'm in love with forges. GLH will help with immediate economic crash of expanding so I don't think we need to push Currency just yet.

Arathorn

5. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I'm hesitant with 1SE of the rice when we don't know what lies to our east. Granted, I'm not happy with the other options either. I agree on the whip-to-fill the GLH and will start on a WB after that. I haven't loaded the save yet, so I don't currently have an opinion on tech path.

6. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

Was that a "got it", Methos? Do you know you're up? 15 turns should go pretty quickly at this point.

7. Methos

Yes, that was a got it. My mistake.

8. Methos

Turn 50 - 2000 BC: Whip Settler

Turn 51 - 1960 BC: I let the overflow drop into the Great Lighthouse.
    Turn 52 - 1920 BC: Research The Wheel -> Pottery (required for Metal Casting)
    switch production to a WB and start on a road on the cow.
    Turn 54 - 1840 BC: Tiwanaku is built and begins work on a WB.
    Turn 57 - 1720 BC: Hinduism spreads to Tiwanaku.
    Turn 58 - 1680 BC: Stonehenge is built in a faraway land. We come across a barb archer, though we successfully repel his attack. We also complete Pottery and start on MC.

I did pop one GH and got a map. We have two WBs out exploring and Tiwanaku is almost complete with their WB. Cuzco needs to be MMed. We just had all of the unhappy modifiers drop off, so we need to build up our pop again. Cuzco also just completed a unit, so I haven't switched off the GLH yet. I figured the next player can make that decision. The soldier is heading to Tiwanaku for defense.

Here's our empire so far.

Attached Files:

9. Methos

Roster:
    • Arathorn
    • ZPV
    • Methos (Just played)
    • Rex Tyrannus - Up Now
    • Ozbenno - On Deck

10. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Nice work.

I'd leave GLH to complete at the moment, do we want to try for Oracle after that? Metal Casing means a Forge and maybe Colossus in the capital! The extra commerce from the ocean tiles will help alot with the variant.

Next city should probably be a blocker in the north-east but can't see any really good sites (maybe next to the lake and cows as shown by blue dot in ZPV's map?).

11. Rex Tyrannus

Rex Tyrannus 280lbs of gross stupidity

Yup. I'll play in about 24 hours. 15 turns?

12. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

Yes, Rex, play 15.

"UGH!" on city sites. If we had a galley, I'd be highly tempted to settle on the grass hill east where we could pick up copper, cows, and rice but Pericles will certainly beat us there. We can get some clams on the islands eventually, maybe.

Next city, though, is a challenge. A reach city by the stone and floodplains or the rice and cow? But we'd need culture to get all three. It's a tough decision, though terrace is a fantastic first building for us. Sigh. I don't think it's worth trying to get in a settler (whipped or not) before GLH finishes though. We don't want to miss the GLH econ for any city site I can see right now.

Arathorn

13. Methos

For those who haven't checked the save, there are approx. three copper resources and all of them are within reach of Pericles. In fact, one of them will be within his borders once the city pops its first culture borders. Pericles currently has three cities that I know of.

14. Rex Tyrannus

So, first off, as I had said in the discussion thread, I'm really really rusty with this whole Civ thing. Sorry. I hope none of my decisions set us back too far. Feel free to kick me off the team if I did. :)

A couple of things happened this set. For one, we own a rather stunning candle.

And then I explored...

...a lot...

Two workboats and two quechuas cover a fair bit of ground and I think we've explored just about all we can. But that's not to say I didn't hit a few snags. Like this one, where I took a step and BAM! Barb archer.

I stepped right in front of the bastard, but he didn't attack. He went the other way. Cool, I thought. Charmed life. So, having dodged that bullet, I plunge on--the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single...

Son of a crap! Barb soup. This guy, unfortunately, isn't as dumb as the last and I brace to lose our Quecha.

Hey! Alright! That little dude is tougher than I thought. He is injured, though and two more barbs are close by. So I sent our little Schwartzeneger up to a nearby hill to heal. He's got a promo to spend for an emergeny quick-heal if needed.

Anyhow, other less-exciting events...

1320 BC Tiwanaku borders pop
    1000 Christianity FIDL and Oracle BIAFAL on the same IBT

975 The Great Wall BIAFAL on the very next turn

900 a settler finishes in Cuzco and I switch to a Terrace. Tiwanaku popped another Quechua the next turn and both units are just north waiting to build the blocker.

I struggled with worker assignments this turn. I usually don't like to chop forests very much when I play for their advantages in later eras. But we can't really do anything else right now. I hooked up the marble at the capital and built a mine, but then I really just had him road up toward the next city. When I was about to outpace any protection, I had him start a cottage on our one non-jungle tile. Sorry for less-than-stellar (ab)use of free labor.

Attached Files:

15. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

Roster:
    Arathorn - On deck
    ZPV
    Methos
    Rex Tyrannus (Just played)
    Ozbenno - Up Now (15)

Not many comments right now.

One thing, in Civ4, forests provide better defensive bonuses than hills (though they do stack). If our little quechua had the choice, cowering behind a tree is better than running up a hill where everybody can see him. :)

Lotsa islands and seafood. I think we should plan to claim those spaces ... eventually. But there's probably no big hurry. Soon, though, I guess that may be all we can claim.

More thoughts tomorrow, I hope.

Arathorn

16. Ozbenno

Got it. Will probably be 2 days before I can play, might load it up and have a look around in the meantime.

17. Rex Tyrannus

Sorry, my previous screenie was in the middle of the IBT. Here's the decision I was faced with by the time it was my turn to act...

I thought the hill to the left was my best chance at saving our guy.

18. Jabah

Jabah Emperor

With the Great Lighthouse, you should settle 3 cities in the smaller islands relatively quickly.

The 1tile just offshore West has 2 fishs and can borrow the marble, so I would make it priority #1 and slave quickly granary, lighthouse all with big overflow into Maoi.

For the other 2, the islands south could provide some locations with 2 foods and forrest/hills for production.

19. Ozbenno

I was thinking of working to get a settler out into the islands quick as well. Should be playing tonight.

20. Kylearan

Kylearan compound eye

Nice turn report, Rex! This lurker approves. :)