LotR27 Science-Scorning Spacists

I had a browser issue which has prevented me from posting for some days... I'm sorry about that. :(
It looks like progress has been slow this week - I hope this is due to a Merry Christmas.
I'll get the save tomorrow, if we are still playing.

ZPV,

Bummer. Glad they're sorted. Since no one else seems to be able to make time to play, I'd be very happy for you to grab the save and play.

Christmas (and even through New Year's) is often crazy for people. In a week, everything should be sorted out and back on track. I hope.

Arathorn

OK then, Got it!
I'll play later today.

I favour the coastal Iron-Rice site, and I'll send the Quechua from M. Picchu to check for barbs.
I'm starting to lust for Pericles's land - it is very good, but that won't have a large effect on my turnset.
Already, the variant is starting to hurt - I'll see what I can do to increase our commerce.

Turnset report, t105-115.

I started off by researching Writing, figuring that the cost was not too great if Monarchy was the right move, and that it allowed other options like Mathematics.

I founded our city by the iron, on the northern coast, but the screenshot failed to take, possibly due to a malfunction of my finger in the Printscreen area. :mischief:
Its first build is a terrace (although Hinduism has spread there naturally), and workers are on hand to speed that up.

Unfortunately, bad news was quick to arrive, on t108:

I decided to whip the trireme from scratch (for 3 pop due to a rounding error), in order to save our seafood. This meant we only lost the clams, before killing the barbarian galley easily. Just as easily, another barbarian galley appeared a couple of turns later, and this one suffered the same fate as the first.

We had a bit of luck with the Great Person who popped, as he was called St. Augustine, and had a pressing need to build a shrine. Thanks to natural spread, this gives us 7gpt by the end of my turnset.

I sent the sailing quechua to pop the southern hut, but it was guarded by a fortified barbarian, so we'll have to make do with exploring that iceberg-island for now.

Our rivals have been busy in the last 10 turns, building the Temple of Artemis and founding Taoism - we'll have to be careful, I think.

I'll leave you with three parting screenshots:
Firstly, our capital.

I guess the way to go here is to whip that settler for 3 pop, overflow into the work boat, and then grow using Hereditary Rule. We'll be able to keep building Quechuas even after we hook up iron, regardless of whether we research Hunting, so military police will be cheap for us.

What we see here is a very tempting area for me. We need our cities to grow, and while Hereditary Rule is effective at pacifying the odd city, IMO a city here would be extremely valuable, giving +3 happiness in all our cities. The priority here for me is hooking up the resources in a reasonable timeframe, rather than choosing the best city site. In some sort of compromise of the two, I think I favour 1NE of the silver, which has 1st ring silver, is coastal for trade routes, and 3rd ring furs. We haven't explored the coast there yet, so there might be a better option.

Finally, I think Pericles has a little surprise coming:

We will research Monarchy in 2 turns, and at that point I recommend revolting to Hered Rule and Org Rel. That should be a 1 turn revolt for us.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roster: unclear. I'm not sure who is available.

Attachments

• LotR27 AD-0001.CivBeyondSwordSave
    167.8 KB · Views: 66
Methos, yes, you are up.

Regarding killing Pericles, I don't think that's wise, because we'll need to use him for researching at this point. Code of Laws for courthouses (and according espionage points) will be a need before too long. And Alphabet for spies. Would be nice to trade, but with only one neighbor, hardly likely.

Hey all, sorry I've been really out of pocket lately. I can continue on a somewhat normal basis now. Thanks for the patience and sorry if I dropped a ball on this game. :ashamed:

:mad: Man, I hate Windows! I'm going to need a skip for now. Between family obligations during this time of year and having trouble getting my Windows partition to recognize my network, I don't think I'll have time for a few days. My apologies, but I haven't had the time in the past few days to sit down and really figure out what the problem is.

Roster:
Arathorn
ZPV (Just played)
Methos - computer troubles
Rex Tyrannus - Up Now (10)
Ozbenno - On deck

Rex -- no worries. This time of year is rough on all of us.
Methos -- I hope you get some normality and time again relatively soon.
All -- we're past the worst. Almost everything gets back to normal Monday, so just hold in there a while longer. Then we'll get back to 24/72 and moving ahead in the game.
All -- I've not looked at the save personally (no time) so I can't comment much on the game.

Hope everybody's having a great start to 2010!

Hi to Arathorn and all the other old SGers. I was just enjoying my yearly read through LotR 10: Scouting Sid (I can't believe it's been 6 years...) and on a lark I checked for recent posts by Arathorn, and low-and-behold, he is still playing SGs, now in Civ4.

Anyways, I hope all is well with you guys and happy holidays!

Hey, Speaker! It's reading things like LotR10 that made me decide to get back into Civ4 SGs. That was an amazing game. But it's not "still", it's "again". After years off, I'm playing a bit again.

Rex, sounds good. Play well. :)

Okay, I lost track of turns, but I think I ended up at 10. Also, time is still cramped for me (and will be until the 15th), so this'll be a just-the-facts-ma'am report.

Monarchy came in on turn 2, but I didn't revolt immediately. I'd like to say I had a reason, but weed seems the best one right now.

I chose Alphabet for the next tech.

The barb galley came back, but our trireme just watched Scarface this morning. Say hello to my little friends!!!!

I don't know if this was a good idea or not, but I figured we'll have a lot of coastal cities...what the hell, right?

The colossus will be done five turns into the next guy's set, or you can whip it now for measly four population! What a bargain!

Alhpabet came in, despite my poor spelling and I chose currency next.

Again, much of what I was going for was financial and nautical in nature, thinking compass might be a good next step after currency. Of course, I'm an idiot.

With ABC's I decided to knock on ole Pericles' door.

Nuttin' huh? :):):):):):):).

We built a settler in the capital, and I realized it'd been about a month since I'd looked at a dotmap in this game. Eenie, meanie, miney...Huamanga!

This has nothing to do with my disturbing attraction to sheep. It's just that I'm tired of clams. I've got a worker at the very south of our main continent, ready to step on the galley and head over.

That's it, really. We have a stranded warrior down south and probably need another settler. I hooked up iron on my very last turn, but it won't officially tick in until the next guy presses enter and takes credit for all my hard work.

Moderator Action: please don't use foul language
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Attachments

• LotR27 AD-0275.CivBeyondSwordSave
    182.1 KB · Views: 113
We have Alphabet...spies?!? Steal a tech from Pericles? That might be our best bet. Though finding other AIs is definitely necessary, too.

Currency, then to Optics sounds pretty good to me. Though I wonder about CoL. Courthouses help with costs AND with getting our espionage up and going. With only one opponent, it might be too early to go full espionage economy (and we need hammers for things other than spies), but I think we want to start looking that direction fairly soon. Maybe put 10 or 20% into espionage and try to steal CoL while working to Optics?

Roster:
Arathorn - On deck
ZPV
Methos - computer troubles
Rex Tyrannus (Just played)
Ozbenno - Up Now (10) "got it"

Can we expand more on the mainland or are we stuck with islands for the near future? GLH and Colossus makes those coastal cities nice, but I think we'll have more competition from Pericles on land so we should probably go there first.

My $.02,
Arathorn

Top Bottom