1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

LotR27 Science-Scorning Spacists

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by Arathorn, Dec 8, 2009.

1. ZPV

ZPV Short for ZPVCSPLFUIFDPEF

We have one settler, near Cuzco, and two axes on a galley headed towards the south of Pericles.
    I used Corihuayrachina to build it and a worker, since there was wood there, and it isn't good cottage land.

edit: There aren't any settlers in production - that city is now working on a Missionary to pop some borders.

2. Rex Tyrannus

Rex Tyrannus 280lbs of gross stupidity

I'll be out of pocket through the weekend on a business trip. As I'm on deck, I'm soliciting a swap or skip this round.

3. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I take the swap with you Rex! Haven't seen Methos around for a few days but hopefully he can pick this back up.

4. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

I exchanged some PMs with Methos. He's asked for a 24-hour extension to try to get everything up and running. That's fine, and hopefully we'll continue to be in communication. For now, let's just take a deep breath and cross our fingers. :)

5. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

Roster:
    Arathorn
    ZPV - just played
    Methos - indefinite skip
    Rex Tyrannus - on deck
    Ozbenno - UP NOW

Methos is on indefinite skip. If anybody reading wants the spot, let me know and you can have it. If/when we fill it and Methos comes back, we'll go with 6.

Arathorn

6. Kylearan

Kylearan compound eye

Hi,

any progress? ;)

-Kylearan

7. Ozbenno

Oh dear, I somehow didn't realise I was up here, thought I was on deck. I will play tonight.

8. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

Oz, you'd accepted Rex's trade. About a week ago. I'm just waiting for anybody to play.

9. Rex Tyrannus

think I can play tonight. Let me check something.

10. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

Uh..Rex, Ozbenno has it claimed right now, I believe. See his post just above mine. As bad as nobody playing is two people playing the same set. YIKES!

11. Rex Tyrannus

Fair enough. Sorry. I thought it had been longer since Oz grabbed it.

12. Ozbenno

We make a couple of trades with Pericles.

We pop another GE, that makes two, no wonders open to us, they will bulb Engineering.

Speaking of wonders, Notre Dame, Parthenon and University of Sankore go to the AI. :mad:

We researched Optics and Civil Service selected with no beakers.

We should ge a caravel in the water asap and see who is building all these wonders.

We found the crab/fur city as well, we have a free worker that can be sent down.

Another settler is started as well to fill in some island cities.

Attached Files:

13. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

Roster:
    Arathorn - on deck
    ZPV
    Methos - indefinite skip
    Rex Tyrannus - UP NOW
    Ozbenno - just played

We got some furs. Definitely need to get contacts, though, like 20 turns ago. Get the caravels out. More contacts equals more trading opportunities and more espionage possibilities.

I second the CS research path.

14. AutomatedTeller

AutomatedTeller Frequent poster

Do you guys need another player? I'd like to give it a shot. It seems like a fun thing to try.

15. Ozbenno

What do we want to do with the 2 x Great Engineers? Not sure what wonders are going to be available short term so do we want to bulb some of Engineering? We can go down the Chemistry --> Steel route for some cannon fun!

16. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

Hmmm...I guess I didn't prohibit using Great People as lightbulbs. I wonder why I didn't do that. Oh well. I suppose we could try the cannon route. I'm up for just about anything. I'm surprised Hagia Sophia fell so fast. Wonders are thin at this ponit. The AIs are kicking our collective rear ends.

AutomatedTeller, you are in.

Roster:
    Arathorn
    ZPV
    Methos - indefinite skip
    Rex Tyrannus - UP NOW
    Ozbenno - just played
    AutomatedTeller - on deck

Rex, you out there? You're up, you know. About 12 hours or so to claim and then I'll give it to AT.

I don't have good ideas for the Engineers with no wonders. Seems a waste to use one on a Golden Age. Settling them without Representation seems silly. I so rarely am without wonders, I don't know. If we can get some contacts soon, can we trade/steal a tech that has a wonder we want?

Dunno. I'll try to look at the save file tonight.
    Arathorn

17. Rex Tyrannus

I'm playing now. I'll keep the GEs camped.

18. Ozbenno

I re-checked the save and it looks as if I got the wrong wonders falling in my set.

Parthenon, Sankore and Angkor Wat went (easy to confuse with Hagia Sophia I know :rolleyes:).

Hagia and Mausolloss are still around. Mausollos is pretty useful (extra Golden Age turns) and Hagia adds to our Engineer points. Calendar is 4 turns so might be a worthwhile diversion Rex if you haven't played yet.

19. Rex Tyrannus

Great news, folks, I'm 83% certain that I didn't break any of the variant rules this go around. The bad news is that, in my set yesterday in an all war game, I'm pretty sure I lost three fights with 83% or better odds. Sigh.

Anyhow, this set was considerably more boring than that game. My biggest crisis was in managing anger issues amongst our citizenry. Fortunately, for the moment, we can just build more troops and that keeps us going. This was a primary strategy of mine throughout. That and courthouses. Fits with the tech stealing we might actually someday do.

My other goals were as follows:

1) Beaver patrol. I've got a galley with a worker almost there. Keep in mind, next player, that there've been several barb ax men come a'pillaging down there. We've whooped em every time, but it'll be harder to manage with workers and improvements.

2) Settle an (undescribed, un-pointed-to) island. Well, I have a settler and an ax headed in a galley SE of the capital (sorry, no screenie). The galley is on a go-to to drop the pair off on the tile I'd planned to settle. If there's a better spot, cancel my stupid go-to.

3) Caravels. This, I did, and well.

Did you notice the orange-ness? Next turn, we'll make contact. Hopefully, we're not three epochs behind them. Or, rather, hopefully we're not three epochs behind them, the wrong religion, and staring at an aircraft carrier and six transports full of marines.

I also have another caravel with a missionary right behind.

This, I figured, was the best way to espionage up the world. Missionaries are little more, in my opinion, than sanctified spies.

There were two world events in my set...

1) People who probably now hate us have leapt into heaven from atop a rock...

and 2) Someone's got a free tech for us to steal (someday)...

That's it. Sorry, Ozzy, I had played before you posted your plan to get us to happy little wonderland. I did just park the two great engineers. Let's come up with a plan for those guys sooner, rather than later.

Attached Files:

20. Ozbenno

Wow, Liberalism gone before 1140AD and the AI possibly took Divine Right, well played (to them)! If Maussollos still there, that would still be good. Can use the second one for Taj Mahal hopefully in the future.

Now we can make contact with Mr Orange (Willem I assume), we can claw back some trades hopefully.