1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Lots of CtD's

Discussion in 'Rise from Erebus Modmod' started by Otiose, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Otiose

Otiose Chieftain

anyone else having this problem? The mod runs fine for a few hundred turns and then... blam! ctd one after another, every game :confused:

2. Sarisin

Sarisin Chieftain

Same for me and I'm hoping the next version cuts those down. I've tried the following and they help sometimes:

1. Dial down your game specs. I went from Huge maps to Large maps and now I play Standard sized. Likewise, no more Marathon or Epic speed games for me. Normal speed seems to work better.

2. Lower the number of civs in the game. I find as the map is settled and filled, I get the CTDs and MAFs a lot more, in addition to the time between turns increasing.

3. I save after every turn. When I get a CTD, I will go back 3-5 turns and replay. I try to do things differently. Sometimes this actually works and I can play on...until the next CTD. ;)

4. I don't use special terraforming like Earth's Bosoom, Create Forest, Create Haunted Lands, etc. These (and a few other things) cause me CTDs every time.

5. When all else fails, I take my last save, put it in a folder and start a new game. Then, later, I go back and try to play it. This seems to work about 50% of the time for me for some bizarre reason.

Two other comments:

1. I recently upgraded my video card from 256mb to 1 gb thinking this would help. It hasn't. I have 4 gb of RAM, Win 7 Home Premium and a good processor. I shut down everything else when I play RiFE.

2. I just downloaded the Wild Mana modmod and tried it. I liked it except for one thing: the animals are not as nasty in it and I was faced with an old problem that RiFE solved - the AI expanded like crazy and in no time the map was full leading to slowdowns and an occasional CTD.

Again, wait a little longer, keep your fingers crossed and let's hope the new version being tested now will be better with the CTDs. :)

3. Otiose

Otiose Chieftain

I'm not the only one! Okay I'll give it a week or two and hope a few of these issues are resolved :)

-map size/number of civs could be my main problem. running on a lower end machine. Let's see what happens on a duel map and work my way up from there

4. Sarisin

Sarisin Chieftain

It is very frustrating.

I played a little over 300 turns today as the Kahdi, a civ I haven't played much. They are a lot of fun with their Vault Gates.

Anyway, I was cruising right along and then just crashed and burned. I tried some of my own suggestion and none worked, so I put the saved game in my Dead RiFE Folder. I'll start up a new game in a day or so and try that Kahdi game later.

I have to add that one common denominator for me is if the D'Tesh are in the game (either I am playing them or the AI), I can be sure of CTDs at some point.

5. CarnivalBizarre

CarnivalBizarre Chieftain

Yeah, I too get ****loads of CTD in the late game, some that can't be avoided by reloading earlier autosaves either...

I hope the patch helps and that it is released soon.

6. admtanaka

admtanaka Chieftain

QFT.

I love the mod, but I've never finished a game and can't bring myself to start a new one when I know it's going to CTD every 3 or 4 turns in the mid-late game.

7. Ornedan

Ornedan Chieftain

Do similar crashes occur with FFH2? At the same frequency?
    The problems feel like there's a memory leak somewhere in the game DLL and it'd certainly be easier to track down if there were a non-problematic version to diff with.

8. leikk

leikk Chieftain

Here's some tips:

Play on tiny maps, where you can end them in about 4-500 turns
    AVOID THE FOLLOWING CIVILIZATIONS:
    Austrin, Kuriotate, Dtesh, Jotnar, Scions, Frozen, Basium, Infernal, Doviello, Illians.
    Turn off animal invasions and the like
    Use No Settlers (Add the amount of civs you want before hand, on a tiny map about 10 will fit easily)

9. Sarisin

Sarisin Chieftain

I've been able to play BtS, FFH, and Orbis without these crashes. They come in FF, but not as much. I tried one game with Wild Mana and although I had no crashes, the map filled up so fast the game slowed down a great deal between turns.

To be clear, RiFE is my favorite of all of these. Having said that, I finish perhaps only one out of 4 games and that is usually due to an early Conquest, Altar or Culture Victory. I have never made it to a Timed Victory in RiFE (Normal speed or slower).

Still, I enjoy the 3-400 turns in RiFE so much I'd rather play that and end up with a dead game that play the others all the way through. I'm not sure exactly what that says about me or RiFE!:crazyeye:

10. Sarisin

Sarisin Chieftain

I agree with what you are saying about map size and game speed being important in how long your game goes without a CTD. I also agree with the civs you mention as being problematic and maybe causing CTDs.

I haven't had a problem with Animal Invasion on and I don't care for the No Settlers option.

I have mentioned in the past I always get CTDs when I terraform (Earth's Boosom, Create Forest, Haunted Lands, etc.), try to spread Ordo religion with an Adeptus, or move a Mechanos fort. There may be others.

The key is that others don't seem to have these problems, though. It is inconsistent as to what exactly is a causing all the CTDs, but what is clear is that many players get them. All you can do is report them in this forum and hope the mod designers can come up with a fix.

One thing that seems true is that it doesn't matter much what kind of specs your machine has as you can still get the CTDs with a high-end machine playing RiFE.

11. (name here)

(name here) Chieftain

I noticed that I could avert one CtD I got by changing the number of battles I was in, to alter what random value would come up later. I suspect that a random event may cause some of them.

Also, no problem with frozen, but have noticed a problem with Infernals and/or Sheaim.

12. Valerarren

Valerarren Chieftain

I'm also having these issues. Constant CTD's and MAF's after I get to a certain point in the game.

13. Ornedan

Ornedan Chieftain

I think I've managed to get myself into one of these problematic situations :D
    Could someone give me pointers for setting up a debugging environment? I'd like to take a look at where it fails. I've looked at a few guides, but they're outdated in that the M$ dev packages they say to get aren't available anymore (or in one case fail to install).

14. Ornedan

Ornedan Chieftain

Welp, got the dev setup working, just had to reinstall Windows.

Next issue before I get to actually take a look: there's behaviourial difference between the debug and release compiled dlls. Debug crashes on an assert while loading XML, release works OK.
    Edit the 1st: This seems to be because asserts are disabled in the release build. So there is an error in some XML file?

15. Aline

Aline Cat

One solution is to enter the worldbuilder and delate all citys that produce nothing, it works for the CtDs that occure allways at the same point(not MAFs)