1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Love it or hate it? CAN'T DECIDE

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Atlanto, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Atlanto

Atlanto Chieftain

played about a half dozen games now, and am experiencing a love hate relationship with this game!

Yes some of the graphics are great (still expected alittle more imporvement/innovation from civ 4) but the dimplomacy and AI are abismal! At one point i recall liberating one of ramses' cities only to realize that he was hostile and wanted to declare war (i swiftly reconquered the city and razed it!)

Is anyone else experiencing this? loving it one minute, then wanting to DELETE it the next.

2. dmieluk

dmieluk Chieftain

I feel ya, man, exactly the same stuff going on over here.

I love the basic feel, with the hexes, 1UPT, and streamlining, but I feel really disgusted that the AI, particularly where it comes to war and diplo, is so bad.

But I still boot it up every day... I can see the potential... I know they are going to try to patch it but to be honest, I'm not... I am optimistic, but I just think there is too much for them to do. I can't understand why I feel addicted to the game in spite of the fact that I often feel so disappointed while playing it... They must have done something right for me to feel this way, but it's just that the mistakes are sooo much more salient.

Today I got told by the AI (Ramses) that he couldn't trust me, and cited as proof the manner in which I had betrayed Napoleon... That would be fine except for the fact that I was playing as the French...

3. pagh80

pagh80 Warlord

Its funny but i feel the same way.
    Overall i like the game and i love many of the features.

But at the same time there is stuff that annoys me to no end.
    Abyssal AI on all areas.(city management, combat, diplomacy)
    Ridicules requirements for a turn based game(why oh why does it has to be this graphic intensive.)
    And a whole lot of missing features(Examples: no worker automation options like "dont override existing improvements", or no regenerate map")

4. Atlanto

Atlanto Chieftain

A couple of other things that are starting to really annoy me:

- My eyes are starting to hate me. Strategic view is abstract and makes my eyes :crazyeye: game view is causing major eye strain, sometimes having to zoom in/zoom out constantly to see whether a unit is garrisoned inside a city or sitting in the tile behind it

- The interface has been polished up to look 'nice', but it is not fluid and feels very rigid! buttons, 'clonk clonk' mini-map, and poor access to vital info

- No victory movie. Now I didn't think this would bother me, but after plaing 36 hours and finally beating AI on immortal, I was expecting alittle more than a trophy icon.... I decided to 'play another turn' and declared war on all the city states I was allied with out of spite.

Having said all that, I'm just about to fire up another game! ;)