Love that manual

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Quagga, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Quagga

Quagga Former Dictator

The game manual appears to be a bit of a rush job.

I especially appreciate in the list of shortcut keys the explanation for Group Save: "no idea what this does"!!! :lol:

2. sneaky

sneaky Prince

The manual is way too short, doesn't even list what the new units, building and wonder can do and is full of mistakes. :(

3. DarkSchneider

DarkSchneider King

Perhaps Firaxis realized that besides you two, no one would read the manual? :p

As long as the Civilopedia is alright, I'm good. That's the first thing I did when I got it, I read the new civilopedia entries.

4. Quagga

Quagga Former Dictator

Have to have something to read while I'm on the "throne". ;) Sorry, I know that's Too Much Information!

5. Chrispy

Chrispy Warlord

I picked up the manual while I was installing and patching BTS last night. Went to the corporations, saw the benefits were different from what the civlopedia screenshots described, and gave up on the manual. I remember similar problems with the Warlords manual when it came out.

6. aberwak

aberwak Mapper of the world

The manual even says how to kill "pies." (pg. 16). Those poor pies, dying needlessly. Don't they know they could join my empire? They'd be put to good use.

7. Brother Vicar

Brother Vicar Chieftain

Is it really that bad? Normally Civ is good at manuals.

8. Danielos

Danielos Emperor

Anyone remember the days of Civ 1 and 2? When games were distributed in big boxes with large manuals instead of DVD-cases with pitiful manuals with tiny text. Civ 1 manual even had an entire chapter about "The Advances of Civilizations". Those were the days... :(

9. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

:gripe:
    Paper's expensive, man. Why you wanna kill trees like that? Don't you know Al Gore invented global warming?!?

10. Bast

Bast Protector of Cats

If I'm doing any reading these past few days it's Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Enough said.

11. homan1983

homan1983 King

When I first got Civilization2 I saw the manual and it was beautiful.
    The page size was custom made, the cover was in full colour gloss.

I read that manual 3 times even though I had thoroughly played civ1.
    When a good manual comes with a game these days, its a sign of a great game; what makes a great game isn't just a good game design but also the care and "love" that's gone into the game.

I can these days instantly tell something which was rushed through as a business and something developed as an art form where the business is secondary.

I still think that Civilization4 and the expansion are great, and I love the civilopedia - its the best concept I've seen for along time and it was designed in civ1. :goodjob:

The civilopedia is very complete, but what if they hadn't made it? And what if someone is new to civ4? You take it for granted all the stuff you know but sometimes when you see someone new try this game you realize just how much the basics are hard to grasp let alone the beginner, inter and advanced feature.

My friend took a LONG time before he even grasped how to simply move the units using the numpad.

The great thing about civ4 is that at the start, the settler and worker blue circles, and those city advisers which always show crap unit/building recommendations and the worker automation (as well as city worker automation) help beginners infinitely.
    As time goes by they can then start to slowly slowly get more of a manual grip on the various aspects of the game.

12. Skavenrot

Skavenrot Chieftain

Same here. If I'm sitting at my computer, I'm usually playing. I'd like to be able to glance through the info while watching TV or something.

13. Rince

Rince King

And why don't we read manuals anymore? Because they are crappy.

I used to read the Civ1 manual before going to sleep. No kidding.

Rince

14. aberwak

aberwak Mapper of the world

I would gladly read a manual. In fact, I still use the manual that came with vanilla Civ IV. That seems to be pretty decent, with lots of information, charts, etc. The BtS manual, however, just says to see the civilopedia (which I personally don't like the layout of).

15. Kael

Kael Deity

In the Italian version of the manual the Fall from Heaven team and I are all listed as "Singers". :eek:

16. NikNak

NikNak Warlord

I pine for the days of yore when manuals were part of the product rather than part of the packaging.

17. komodo

komodo Chieftain

The manuals put out with the Firaxis games are among the worst in the industry both in actual quality and editing. My Warlords manual fell apart the first day I owned it. Why can't they put just a little bit of money and effort into them. The CIV2 manual was great.

18. largedarryl

largedarryl Prince

Yeah I actually think a manual for civ is kinda useless. It ussually becomes irrelavent anyways, after a few patches some things get changed and then only the civolepedia is correct.

19. necbone

necbone Chieftain

I still have my civ1 manual<3

20. Haha! That's awesome, now I can put "singer" in my resume as well. :lol: