Loving hated civs

Khmer have a very specific niche but I always felt missionary spam banzai charge is a bit weird since I don't associate missionaries with the Khmer - I associate missionaries and aggressive proselytizing with Christianity but I guess that's just a problem of having a religious combat system that throws together pieces of Christianity (apostles, missionaries) with like Indic/Eastern religious units (gurus, maybe also warrior monks?)

I think most people also don't like the Khmer bc it's like they're supposed to have unique aqueducts and holy sites as homage to their barays and waterworks but they're just regular districts that help with growth without really providing a reason to have large population growth in the first place. You don't really need populous cities to spam out missionaries to suicide for relics for example

I'd add Mapuche to the list of unloved civs which I kinda enjoy. And I'd echo enjoying Canada and Spain. Khmer though... The only thing I like less than their game play is their music. Permanently on my banned leader list for that alone.

I was going to bring up the Mapuche in my first post here but I remembered the title of the thread was "loving hated civs" and I definitely don't love them. I like their unique unit and infrastructure, but Swift Hawk doesn't work. I think it's the worst leader ability in the game, even below Wilhelmina's.

I've always liked Norway, even if they were a bit lacklustre to start with. When I was reading through the first dozen posts, it occurred to me that I have never actually played as Kupe / Maori. I should rectify that. There ought to be enough time for one decent brawl before Portugal drops at the end of the week.

I was going to bring up the Mapuche in my first post here but I remembered the title of the thread was "loving hated civs" and I definitely don't love them. I like their unique unit and infrastructure, but Swift Hawk doesn't work. I think it's the worst leader ability in the game, even below Wilhelmina's.

Yeah, Swift Hawk really needs some work - I don't think I've ever loyalty flipped a city with it, but I find Toquí, and the Chemamull to be two of the most fun abilities/UIs in the game.

Yeah, Swift Hawk really needs some work - I don't think I've ever loyalty flipped a city with it, but I find Toquí, and the Chemamull to be two of the most fun abilities/UIs in the game.
One thing that works really well is loyalty flipping a city back to you. If your city was taken by an enemy or a city loyalty flipped, or is generally being contested in a war, you can quickly flip it. It stinks offensively, but there is some validity there. Agreed that it does need some work.

Yeah, Norway certainly isn't panned anymore. The rebalances have made them more powerful, seemingly accomplished the goal of how they were "supposed" to play, and made them a blast.

Georgia hasn't gotten as much of a public image boost as Norway, but they've improved a lot (especially with Secret Societies, because either Owls or Voidsingers can make them hilariously effective at their niche. Dramatic Ages is also fun with them (but since I exclusively play with DA on now, it's easy for me to forget about.) In any case, I always liked them even when they were the weakest in the game, power-wise, and they're only better now.

I'm not sure if Brazil has ever been considered underpowered or anything, but I feel like they get a lot of shade, which I don't understand. The UDs aren't gamebreaking, but Amazon is great, extra GP points is great for me at least, and the Minas Gereas is incredible for punching back at anyone who tries to step to you.

And Khmer is a fun niche-strategy civ, but I can never find enough rivers whenever I roll up a game with them, for whatever reason.

My problem with Khmer is there are too many turns before you can get their best strategy online.

If you’re using reliquaries/missionaries/prasat, you’re not really able to get things online until the AI has a well developed faith infrastructure with temples.

If you’re lucky enough to spawn near Japan, Russia or Ethiopia that typically happens fairly fast, but if you happen start between Germany, Rome and America it will take ages.

I like the Maya - I like the slow start, and the planning required to get the best of the bonus. Makes the early game more interesting.
The Maya are my favorite civ for now. I get the impression that many people enjoy it, although many also seem to hate it. I stated elsewhere that a theme for Maya's playstyle seems to be "initial disadvantages which can be overcome through planning and building". I also like how they play the map differently than other civs.

Top Bottom