Low cost sellouts

Hygro

soundcloud.com/hygro/
How do we fight this? If you want to chase money, you can get a whole lot of it. But if choose an honorable profession, and rise to authorial gatekeeper of knowledge, you can sell out that position … for a smaller amount of money by magnitudes than if you spent the same effort just going for money.

So now instead of amoral business you’ve corrupted an institution for less personal gain.

What motivates these worst of villains, who aren’t even successful enough (even if famous millionaires) to be aspirational in their villainy, and use malfeasance as their method?

Like, one can understand the exec at Exxon mobil to cook the planet in exchange for great riches. But the academic fraudsters who made a few million by giving them the pass?

why do they do it, and what could we do?

I suspect a lot of it is to do with the human propensity to believe that which is in our benefit. As in, if one has spent ones whole career working on X, it is more easy to reject the idea that X is bad than accept it and change careers. If one has nothing to fall back on, there is even more incentive to keep what you have than if you are a capitalist with millions anyway and just want millions more to add to your "score".

If you ever do come up with a policy solution that a) stops corruption and b) might pass as law, let us know. Because you are mostly calling out generic corruption.

If you ever do come up with a policy solution that a) stops corruption and b) might pass as law, let us know. Because you are mostly calling out generic corruption.
Actionable plans encouraged, non actionable plans welcome.

non actionable plans welcome
Well, if non actionable is allowed I shall put in not putting the requirement to have a successful career as a prerequisite for eating and having a roof over your head would be a good start, but of course that is just fantasy.

People sell out for far less. Many sell out for no money at all - sometimes just attention. Why do we have collaborators? There are "sell-outs" at every single level of society, who aren't thinking further than getting out of their current debt.

How do we solve this? The full answer is basically to create a fully equitable society where no one is struggling to survive or to be treated as equal. It's easier for weak-willed people to hold on to your principles when you're not worried about how you're going to feed your children or pay for their college.

Larry Summers was never starving. The Bank of Sweden never needed to award William Nordhaus a prize.

People with less give more. Like more more, not relatively more. Maybe it's like medicine. Poisonous when applied out of dose.

People sell out for far less. Many sell out for no money at all - sometimes just attention. Why do we have collaborators? There are "sell-outs" at every single level of society, who aren't thinking further than getting out of their current debt.

How do we solve this? The full answer is basically to create a fully equitable society where no one is struggling to survive or to be treated as equal. It's easier for weak-willed people to hold on to your principles when you're not worried about how you're going to feed your children or pay for their college.

Coming from the "I love Amazon" poster lol.

How do we fight this? If you want to chase money, you can get a whole lot of it. But if choose an honorable profession, and rise to authorial gatekeeper of knowledge, you can sell out that position … for a smaller amount of money by magnitudes than if you spent the same effort just going for money.

So now instead of amoral business you’ve corrupted an institution for less personal gain.

What motivates these worst of villains, who aren’t even successful enough (even if famous millionaires) to be aspirational in their villainy, and use malfeasance as their method?

Like, one can understand the exec at Exxon mobil to cook the planet in exchange for great riches. But the academic fraudsters who made a few million by giving them the pass?

why do they do it, and what could we do?

Ideology is a helluva drug. If you or someone you know is on conservative ideology, please call the number at the bottom of your screen and get the help you need.

People with less give more. Like more more, not relatively more. Maybe it's like medicine. Poisonous when applied out of dose.
Yeah it's really definitely not something we're gonna solve by addressing poverty. These low cost sellouts are still mildly rich. Just not nearly as rich as they would jump ship to industry the moment they decided to sell their souls and their discipline.
Ideology is a helluva drug. If you or someone you know is on conservative ideology, please call the number at the bottom of your screen and get the help you need.
We need term limits on bank accounts.

It’s a deep problem. They only solution I can think of is to live more aspirationally than they do. We need to get sexy fast.

Yeah it's really definitely not something we're gonna solve by addressing poverty. These low cost sellouts are still mildly rich. Just not nearly as rich as they would jump ship to industry the moment they decided to sell their souls and their discipline.

Solving poverty isn't supposed to make the world blowjobs and puppies. It's supposed to solve poverty.

I am not poor. But I am really, really, tired. Two steps up on the social ladder has really been sapping my energy. Got half a day off today, didn't really help. I'm guessing it'll take another two months to clear the most recent personality/class-tax. I'm not kidding, it's for all the marbles. Then I'll probably have energy again, or I will at least be done. :p

Top Bottom