1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Loyalty system already doesn't seem right

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Brian LeClaire, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Loderingo

Loderingo Chieftain

I haven't got R&F yet as I'm in the process of getting a new computer. Has anyone tried a tactic of reducing an enemy's loyalty pressure by pillaging their luxury resources and entertainment districts?

2. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

I just started a game on a earth map as the Netherlands, with France as my neighbor. Within the first 10 turns i see France has been defeated. Turns out their capital city became a free city, then came over to me.

Japper007 and Mr Jon of Cheam like this.
  3. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Chieftain

Really? Cool! ;) What difficulty level was that?

Mr Jon of Cheam likes this.
  4. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Warlord

It affects loyalty, not loyalty pressure. In other words, you could use this to turn enemy cities, not protect your own.

5. Mr Jon of Cheam

Mr Jon of Cheam Chieftain

Not yet but that sounds like fun, but I'm going to try a passive-aggressive loyalty expansion game next I think.

6. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

Warlord, and im sure its a bug. Im just going to take the city and be happy but i hope the rest of the world don't start flipping.

7. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Chieftain

Maybe your civ is just outstandingly cool and the french can't help but transform! :goodjob: Resistance is futile!:assimilate:
    Maybe Warlord helps, too?
    Or they have been slain and since it's a capital it hasn't been razed but "liberated"? Is it possible barbs took the settler? :hmm:

8. VGT

VGT Chieftain

I'm during my first session and I already love loyalty. Before R&F my flow for looking new city spots was:
    - find some new luxuries
    - place city in good location in vicinity of that resource
    - if it's creating empty space in my empire, look at it with disapproval and/or place filler cities

Now I need to wonder, how loyalty will affect my border cities. I'm trying to have more continuous area when it comes to my empire. It gives me strong vibes of culture from civ 4, where it was accumulating on tiles through whole game and placing cities near someone elses border was making it hard to have whole fat cross available for your city. Missed that part strongly when switched from 4 to 5 in the past. Now it's not about single tiles, but whole cities... still, I really like this change.

CPWimmer and Mr Jon of Cheam like this.
  9. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Yes, did not reduce enough to make a difference

10. Cagarustus

Cagarustus Chieftain

I didn't have an issue with that. I took 3 of Egypt's cities without having the capital and managed to retain all three cities. I then declared war on Egypt and took the capital, wiping her out.

11. Mr Jon of Cheam

Mr Jon of Cheam Chieftain

Could it help tip the balance if you're exerting plenty of other pressure?

12. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Chieftain

I'm loving it too, I like that suddenly something as banal as settling an area became a challenge that is more than just trying not to piss off the AI.. I think I have an easy solution for it though. I'm about to unlock Alliances and Greece, which seems to be the highest source of pressure, is my friend. I guess I'm getting a cultural alliance then...

13. Janskey

Janskey Chieftain

I don't understand how Japan keeps flipping and dying in my game. Ho-Joe has only one city and I've resurrected him thrice already. There's no visible loyalty pressure from anywhere (my own cities or governors should not cause pressure because I liberated/resurrected him, at least that's what the game tells me) and I even tried gifting him 1000 gold so he could buy a unit if that would help (of course he bought a builder and nothing else). I could go on a killing spree and just keep resurrecting him every 5 turns to negate any warmonger penalties, taking the rest of the civs one by one while keeping the others friendly.

14. RushjobDK

RushjobDK Chieftain

I think the loyalty system is a little bit too complicated at this point.

What about just razing the cities? In early game you don't get that great a warmonger penalty, or? (sorry, I'm a builder ;p)

15. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Chieftain

I don't think this is a thing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but AFAIK, aside from cultural alliance there's no mechanic that completely negate your pressure to other Civs cities. Where did you see that the city wouldn't get pressure from you?

16. Janskey

Janskey Chieftain

It's in the dialogue box to keep/liberate the city:

17. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Chieftain

I guess you just found a bug then.

18. Bosque

Bosque Chieftain

As suspected, Shaka is seriously OP. In my first game at King level on a Tiny map, he rolled through the Scots, Dutch and Georgians like a hot knife through butter. And I never had any problems with loyalty in spite of my warmongering. I had Full Loyalty in all but one city, and that was quickly taken care of by placing an impi corps and a governor in that city.

Even at Deity, I don't see how the AI will stand a chance against the Zulu in the hands of a human player. Definitely needs some serious nerfing.

19. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Chieftain

Loyalty's a powerful and flexible system newly introduced to the game. It's going to take some time to get it right, but I'm looking forward to seeing what can be done with it as the game evolves.

I think Loyalty could be even better if tied to some form of "ethnic identity" for individual population units, much the way population has a religious identity that can be swayed and altered. I can understand why they've abstracted it above this level for now, but a city with divided loyalty, some pining for their old nation (or independence), others firmly committed to their current government, would offer a world of game play options that would tie nicely to existing systems (policy cards, religious beliefs, government types, governors). It would also make managing your conquests more interesting, although at least the current Loyalty system is an improvement over vanilla in that regard.

20. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Of course it could... normally +3 so not a lot lost

I just settled 2 cities in a -20 area next to each other with governors... no chance both will fall before I can can get enough in there....I really needed Reyna to get RNDY in them fast and there was nothing to chop up their populations.
    Certainly in the future I will not worry if someone parks a city next to me once the game has gone on about 50 turns, which is really what this is all about.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018