Luck sometimes makes the AI a real challenge

Natura

Warlord
So I'm playing Al Falah on Apollo and doing rather well. It's around turn 150, I'm Supremecy/Purity 10/9 respectively, and I've just finished a successful war against Space Russia. During the war KP declared war on me, but she was on the other side of the map, so I thought nothing of it.

Suddenly a trio of KP Screamers showed up next to one of my coastal cities. No matter I thought, it's got two defensive buildings and a Virtuoso in there, I can weather this.

I spat off my ranged attacks then felt somewhat puzzled. The Screamer, having taken two volleys from an end-tier ranged unit, had lost around 10 health. I moused over one of them to see what the story was.

+100% against ranged attacks.

Yes, KP had won the Artifact Lottery, and she was knocking on my door.

What followed was a grueling battle that completely sapped my energy reserves as I frantically bought Barons and set my inland cities to science to try and rush to hover-tanks. The KP death-machines seemed invincible; only city attacks made any dent in their nightmarish hulls. They auto-healed each turn too, their wounds closing over before my eyes. My coastal city fell, then they turned their attention on my sole aquatic city within their reach, a super-city in an amazing position with wonders giving massive production and science on coast tiles. Naturally it was fortified.

The KP bio-organic monstrosities cared not one bit. Soon my most prized possession was theirs.

But then I had a ray of hope. An explorer finished an expedition in the frozen north, and found an artifact. I had enough to roll the dice, and what came up made me grin.

+50% strength, +3 range for air units.

Now the tides turned. Tier 3 aircraft began saturation bombing runs, targeting the wounded ships, combined with cheap battlesuits being embarked into the water to act as barricades against the invincible sea-raiders. I took back my coastal city and threw sacrificial suits into the water; their sacrifice would be remembered. I rush-bought Barons and pressed back towards my captured city, whose population had nearly stopped resisting. Whilst I prepared re-education camps for these thought-traitors, my aircraft continued their relentless assault. One by one the god-machines of KP fell, until my ships took back what was mine.

I left the war for now, fearing that this is but the calm before the storm. My colony is battered, and I am weary, afraid even, for who knows what the next tide shall bring? In my fear I have allied myself to INTEGR and the NSA, an unholy alliance that has seen me at war with much of the world, but it seemed the only choice. KP refuses to surrender of course, and for now, all I can do is stockpile my forces for the inevitable counterattack.

Artifacts are crazy.

Now I understand why some of the AIs just plain died to me when I got that +100 bonus against ranged attacks. :lol:

Gotta say, I think this is the first time I've heard of the AI actually getting an artifact reward. I thought they cashed in artifacts immediately, so they never save them for combos. Assuming that's true, I guess they got 3 artifacts on the same turn through nests and digs? If so, sounds like a very rare occurrence. Either way sounds like a fun(and surprising) game. ;)

Does it tell you anywhere what artifacts each player has cashed in? Seems like an important thing to know.

If the AI knows how to use and combine artifacts, it is a real plus for the game's competitiveness in solo play. I'm heartened to hear this. I've not seen the effect myself yet but play on Soyuz level, not sure what that equates to in Civ terms.

Yeah, after a few really tough games, I've learned never put my capital on water unless I'm playing NSA. AI spams naval melee like crazy and they can move new troops to the front faster than you can kill them.

There actually isn't any code for AI to combine artifacts, and the code will always break-down artifacts one by one.

The function DoAritfactsAI() will take the list of artifacts that the AI player has, go through it one by one, and for each one, process it using OpCode.BreakDown (i.e. turn into yields).

The code that's supposed to determine whether AI should break down an artifact consists of this:
Code:
-- Do some processing here.
return true;
i.e. the AI will always break down every single artifact.

Can we get a save? Perhaps it's possible to use FireTuner to see each AI's current rewards.

Top Bottom