Luckiest you've ever been in FFH2?

ElMikkino

Warlord
It sounds weird coming from someone who made a thread called "Why do I have such bad luck?", but what's the luckiest you've ever been in FFH2? (Actual luck starts in 6th paragraph, everything before is backstory.)

Mine was like this: I was Garrim Gyr of the Luchuirp, and I had started out in a corner of the world. Southwest of me, through a mountain pass, were the Ljosalfar, and southeast of them first was a big wilderness, and then the Bannor. The rest of the continent was blocked off by some mountains. I couldn't directly reach any more of the continent withotu going through the Ljosalfar, because a giant mountain range cut the continent in half, except for one little chokepoint where the Ljosalfar met the wilderness.

So, I conquered my corner, which actually gave me a pretty big chunk of land, but I wasn't satisfied. I declared was on the Ljosalfar, and after three successive wars, I had three new cities, including their capital. They were now relegated the jungles that used to be below them. Now, Sabathiel (who was Bannor), had built the Mercurian Gate in a city northwest of where he had started, and Basium and the Mercurians spawned there. The Sabathiel/Basium team then went in a seemingly endless war with the Ljosalfar, but it was going nowhere.

Anyways, after I took the three Ljosalfar cities, I declared war again, and marched across the chokepoint. I was about to take another Ljosalfar city, but, Arendrel Phaedra, the Ljosalfar leader, suddenly decided to capitulate to the Sabathiel/Bannor team, even though she just took one of Sabathiel's cities. So, I automatically made peace with her, so on our part of the continent, it was basically me vs Ljosalfar, Bannor and the Mercurians.

So, I just decided to sit back, and win myself a culture victory. But, I decided to get Omniscience before I did so. On the turn I get it, the big team declare war on me. They march a stack through the chokepoint, but because of a misplaced Dwarven Hornguard, all of their catapults either die or are very weak (they attacked it with all their catas first, followed by an assasin (who STILL lost after 6 catas) and then finally being killed with a Confessor). I attacked his now very weak stack with my stack, which I never bothered to disband, and I completely destroy it.

I now start marching to the chokepoint, but then I remember that Arendel has at least 2 mages in every city of hers with Air II, which would weaken my stack considerably before they were able to fire on her. I told myself I'd just have to bear it, and started marching, but here's where it gets lucky:

Earlier in the game, I had noticed a group of terrain features on one part of the big mountain range that went mountain-hill-plain, so if that mountain wasn't there, I could have crossed there, too, but since it was there, I couldn't. But, in the time between then and now, that mountain had turned into a volcano, and that volcano then somehow dissapeared (it blew itself up?). Now, there was a second way into the lands of the team, striking right at Basium's only city.

I withdrew my stack, and started going the new way, but when I got through the pass, I was confronted by Basium himself, all alone. Unfortunately, none of my units except Bambur could even make a dent on him if I attacked, but I saved and decided for fun to see if I could kill him. So, I sent a few Arquebusiers...not a scratch, though only one unit died, the others withdrew. Sent in my Mary Morbus (got her from an event), and she didn't scratch, though she also was able to withdraw. Sent in a cannon...withdrew, no scratch. So, I finally see that only Bambur could make a scratch (5.8% chance of killing Basium), so I sent him in to see if I could take on Basium with a Clockwork Golem after Basium had taken a few hits from Bambur. But, against all odds, Bambur won and killed Basium! :eek:

This really through the Mercurians off guard. I started marching ever closer towards the Mercurian city. The Mercurians still had some Angels, but for some reason, they didn't attack me. My Hawks then saw that Sabathiel was sending another stack at my cities through the old chokepoint, and the Mercurians were sending in a stack of their own angels. Arendel was also sending in some tigers to help defend the Mercurian's city (who's leading them, anyways, I killed Basium...).

But, I then realized that the city was defended only by 6 Angels, and 1 Priestess of Leaves. I decided to attack it right away, but I was still two squares away from it. I moved forward a bit. I then saw that I could still move my Baron Duin Halfmorn, and my Arquebusiers. I had 14 units of those attacking altogether, so I just decided to go for it, even though the odds weren't good (20% chance of winning the first battle). But, I won that battle...and then 2 more with also the odds less than 33%. The odds then got better, and in a few more battles, I had taken the city, even though Baron and some other guys died (hurray for Blood of the Phoenix!).

With that, the Mercurians were destroyed. Sabathiel was forced to release Arendel, who I immediately made peace with for some gold and stuff (that group of tigers was still there, and even though they were only an annoyance, I didn't wanna deal with them). Next turn, she became a vassal of my best buds on the other continent, the Elohim. Its now just me (3rd most powerful, but definitely the most advanced) vs Sabathiel (6th most powerful out of 7, and the least advanced). His stack also was forced to withdraw out of Ljosalfar lands after I made peace with Arendel. So, now he can't surprise me by going through Ljosalfar lands, and his cities now look awfully weak...:goodjob:

This was only on Warlord, but still pretty nice (I'm moving up a level next game.).So, what about you? What's your luckiest moment?

My luckiest moment... hmm..

Well, I'm not sure on the luckiest moment. There have been quite a few. But, I do remember when a situation ended up being very, very lucky for me.

I was playing Bannor after not having played in quite awhile. The new SOD patch was out and I was experiencing it full thrust. I had successfully conquered most of my area of the Pangea continent. My area was a large, Africa shaped slice with a tightly packed region, equitable to Egypt/Syria that was between me and my major foe, the Confederation of Calabim States... A huge alliance made up of mostly Calabim cities and their Luchirp flunkies...

His output was massive. He could field huge SODs and keep them coming. I had a defensive line right at the chokepoint and was severely hard-pressed to counter his concentration of forces. Even in Crusade, I was getting hammered pretty hard and it was constant fighting, every turn. He'd get some units through into my backfield (Had Raider too..) and I'd have to hope my ocassional pops of new units would cut them off before they did too much damage. If he had ever managed to get an SOD into my backfield, I was done for.

But, without Donal Lugh, I would have been giving the Calabim my firstborn children... Yeah, he's not that great on his own. But, he can generate troops out the wazzoo if he gets to kill undead.. and in this war, he couldn't miss. Donal would run up to the front, get a couple of finishing whacks in on a spectre and then rush off to my largest city to create gobs of horseman, assassins and rangers and a few champions.. Those fast moving units were the backbone of my reaction forces. Without them, the Calabim would have pillaged me to death.

Eventually, I created a Maginot Line of cities and fortifications that withstood everything the Calabim would launch at me. Every few turns or so, Losha would show up again with another SOD full of nasties and I'd crush her. This went on for days while I assembled the forces necessary to not only man that defensive line of fortifications, but to launch a massive counterattack.

Sadly, I had to quit that game because the time between turns was simply far too long. But, it was one of my most memorable. If it hadn't been for Donal Lugh and my luck at having the Calabim attacking me instead of another Nation, I would have easily lost.

Top Bottom