lumber mills on river forests should have advantage

Qwan

Warlord
The latest patch (6/18/2019) version 1.0.0.0.328 changed the requirement for lumber mills from Machinery to Construction (i.e. earlier) AND made all lumber mills +2 production instead of +1 off-river and +2 on-river. I liked that lumber mills on river forests had some advantage. I think both these changes go a bit too far in making lumber mills too good.

My suggestion: have Construction allow lumber mills on river forests only, and with just +1 production. Then with Machinery, allow lumber mills on off-river forests as well, and add +1 production.

That way the first lumber mills appear next to rivers.

P.S. If this can't be done with the same improvement, then make two improvements: lumber mills (on-river) and logging camps (off-river).

I'd agree that the lumbermill bonus on rivers was a good mechanic, both historically and because it added a bit of interesting detail to strategic evaluations of terrain. I would have preferred to see them keep this and use other levers to adjust the science/production balance. And even without this change, lumbermills would still have gotten a bit of a boost from the IZ change.

Top Bottom