Lux Resource problem

Keroro

Dororo: Ninja Frog
The solution to this is probably really simple, but I can't get the attached luxuryicons_small.pcx to work in game. Every time I try to zoom to a city that has the Gold luxury the game crashes to desktop with no error message. This doesn't happen with any of the other luxuries I've used, and it's driving me crazy. :wallbash: Anyone got any idea what I'm doing wrong?

As always, any help is very, very appreciated. :)

Attachments

• luxuryicons_small.pcx
    4.9 KB · Views: 82
Gold is normally a bonus resource, and if you only click "luxury" in the Natural Resources page in Editor, then add the icon to Luxiconssmall as you did, you'll offset the program's inbuilt data array.

I think that's like shifting all the data over one, but nothing in the program tells itself that the data is all shifted now, so it crashes.

What you have to do is DELETE the Gold resource, then create a new one, coincidentally called "Gold" and make the icons from scratch and call the NEW resource a luxury resource...

(uh, by "delete" I mean just click the delete button for Gold in the editor, you can still use the gold icon when you make your new luxury resource)

Hmmm... good, I´ll have to do the same too!

FinnMcCool said:
Gold is normally a bonus resource, and if you only click "luxury" in the Natural Resources page in Editor, then add the icon to Luxiconssmall as you did, you'll offset the program's inbuilt data array.

I think that's like shifting all the data over one, but nothing in the program tells itself that the data is all shifted now, so it crashes.

What you have to do is DELETE the Gold resource, then create a new one, coincidentally called "Gold" and make the icons from scratch and call the NEW resource a luxury resource...

(uh, by "delete" I mean just click the delete button for Gold in the editor, you can still use the gold icon when you make your new luxury resource)

Thanks for the response, FinnMcCool. I actually already did that. I was originally going to get rid of Gold from the scenario, but then decided to add it back in as the eighth luxury. So it's been deleted then created afresh.

Do all the luxury resources have to be together in the editor? Is it hardcoded? Or perhaps a palette problem somewhere?

no they dont have to be all together...anything you "add" is stuck in at the end...

I made you a new one from scratch...tell me if it works...if not there is a "bigger problem" as I have tested this one in game

also, you dont have to delete and add a new res...I have changed Elephants to Strategic, and gold to luxury without deleting and readding...as well as added several res...(camels(s), Jade(l), cocao(b), coffee(l))

Attachments

• luxuryicons_small.pcx
    4.9 KB · Views: 48
@ Spacer one - That's great. :goodjob: Thanks very much. I will check it tonight (I hope) and let you know the results.

:thanx:

OK, so I've tried to get it working with the new luxicons that Spacer One did for for me, and then tried it with the default civ 3 icons too, but I'm still getting the CTD whenever I try to zoom to a city with Gold. I guess that I can forget about the palatte as being the problem. Anyone else got any ideas? :please:

EDIT - Tried changing Gold to a Strategic Resource, and no CTD occured. Wierd. Anyhow, I'm to bed now.

Generally, for any change, if you plan to (or have) deleted anything, it's usually a good idea to do it BEFORE you start putting them on the map. If you put any resources on the map before you took Gold out of Bonus, then your lists will be offset and you might need to start over.

That's start over. But all you really need to do is import everything except resources to a new biq then delete gold, then add your resources...

Pallette hasn't ever caused a CTD for me, only color depth. If I forget to make it 256 in the first step, I usually just start over. Doesn't take long.

One other possibility: have you checked the search folder in Scenario Properties? I sometimes forget to update that when I create a new game folder, and that causes all kinds of crashes.

The resources took me ages to place... :rolleyes: Never mind. I'll downgrade Gold to a bonus resource for now, and maybe redo the resources altogether if my scenario ever makes it to v 1.00. But that's some way off for now.

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help, you're all stars. :goodjob:

Keroro, if I remember well, there were reported a lot of troubles with luxury resources in former times. There were problems with the number of luxury resources, with the resource shadow file, phantom resources and a lot more.
May be you should post your complete resource file and -if you use it - your resource shadow file. Do you have gold as your default money resource in your general settings?

Thanks for the suggestion Civinator. Did I ever tell you that I really like your new avatar?

Civinator said:
Keroro, if I remember well, there were reported a lot of troubles with luxury resources in former times. There were problems with the number of luxury resources, with the resource shadow file, phantom resources and a lot more.
May be you should post your complete resource file and -if you use it - your resource shadow file. Do you have gold as your default money resource in your general settings?

I'm using Cassus Belli's collection of resources here, but had a problem with the shadows showing up white, so I left them out for now. I have put a few extra resources in which seem to work fine. I'll post the actual resource.pcx when I get home tonight if anyone is interested in having a look.

What does the default money resource actually do? :confused: ATM I have it set as 'none'.

AFAIK, when you enter a barb camp or goody hut, the resourse shows up in that spot.

Keroro said:
Thanks for the suggestion Civinator. Did I ever tell you that I really like your new avatar? I'm using Cassus Belli's collection of resources but had a problem with the shadows showing up white, so I left them out for now. I have put a few extra resources in which seem to work fine. I'll post the actual resource.pcx when I get home tonight if anyone is interested in having a look.

Hi Keroro,

First: If my avatar could speak, I´m sure he would say some kind words.
Second: Quinzy gave a good explanation for the default money resource.
Third: Concerning big resource files in Civ 3 C, I think not all is discovered yet.

Sometimes they work and sometimes not. Sometimes it helps if they are placed in another sequence.

Here are some links from my Civ 3 archive, concerning problems with resources:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=105217
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=69769
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=59068
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=17371

Especially the posts 15, 31, 32, 34 from the last link could be interesting for you. Here crashes with luxury resources are debated that don´t happen, when they are turned to strategic resources. But the postings are pre-C3C.

How many luxury resources do you have ? Is the gold-resource that crashes the game, be connected to a city by a road? In http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=17371&page=3 post 52 there is a picture how the working luxuryicons_small.pcx looked in DYP.

You're a well of knowledge Civinator. :hatsoff:In answer to your questions -

Civinator said:
How many luxury resources do you have ?

I have eight luxuries, I dropped ivory and furs, and added Olives and gold. The olives work fine.

Civinator said:
Is the gold-resource that crashes the game, be connected to a city by a road?

The gold resource is connected to a city by a road at the beginning of the game.

Having read some of those links in your post, I have decided that I should cut all the resources I'm using out of Cassus Belli's giant compilation, and create my own resources.pcx. I'll report back after that.

I got the problem fixed by cutting and pasting all the resources I'm using into a new resources.pcx. I put all the luxuries together (numbers 7 - 14) and that seems to have sorted things out.

Massive thanks to everyone who took the time to offer their advice. :goodjob:

Congretulations! :D

Top Bottom