1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Lux's for peace?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Xethorsiph, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Xethorsiph

Xethorsiph Chieftain

I've noticed something very irritating of late. When ever I go to war with a civ, come time for the peace treaty they are almost always running low on gold and gpt, and since I embrace the rogue state theory, they rarely have a tech. No problem though, they have plenty of lux's and resources, that should be perfect!

But no, the game wont let me trade luxuries or resources as part of a peace treaty. Why is that, and is there some way to make it possible?

2. Kaidonni

Kaidonni Chieftain

You need to have viable trade routes to the other civ. Be it roads or by sea/ocean, you need the route open. You probably know that you need all of your cities connected for them all to gain access to a resource, and this is really an extension of that - you need to connect to at least one city of the other civ. Now, I've never had maritime trade, so I can't help you out there much, but it's probably a similar issue, needing the necessary technologies (not sure if they need the same ones, they might do, although they don't need any particular technologies for the trade of resources by land, so I could be wrong) and an open route to the other city (or cities), which also means they have to border the coast.

Hope I was of some help.

3. Xethorsiph

Xethorsiph Chieftain

unfortunately that doesn't help.

My most recent example was against the aztecs. I had several deals with the to get some luxuries to keep my people happy, but I got tired of paying out the nose for it and decided to self supply with their land. After I conquered half their empire, I had all but one of the luxuries. I figured with as much damage as I had done, surely I could get it for peace.

But no. When I go to the bargaining table, the luxury was greyed out and inaccesable. However, once I made peace and went back to make a deal with the, I WAS able to trade for it.

4. The Professor

The Professor Emperor

Unfortunately, the game is programmed so that you can't get luxuries or resources in a peace deal, as you've already seen. There is no way around this, unless you've beaten your opponent so thoroughly that they are willing to give you the city with the luxury as part of the peace deal. Usually, they won't give more than small tundra cities for peace, but if you've really smacked them down, they will sometimes give you a decent city, but don't count on it.

5. Lord Emsworth

Lord Emsworth Emperor

You need a viable trade route. And as long as you are at war with a civ there is no trade route. So, it is simply not possible to trade for luxuries or resources while still at war.

What is possible though, is to tie a peace treaty to a lux/resource deal if you use renegotiate. To do that you must have been at peace 20 turns or more though.