Luxury/Amenity confusion

iamliberal

Prince
After playing every version of Civ since the first one on my Amiga computer in 1993, I’m confounded a bit by luxury resources and the amenity system in Civ 6. In previous games, for example, when you enter trade negotiation you can safely trade away any luxuries you have 2 or more of. But how does it work in a Civ 6?

It's the same in Civ 6, despite some initial confusion otherwise.

Basically one luxury resource provides +1 amenity to 4 cities (6 if you are the Aztecs). The second/third/fourth/etc. copies do nothing, and can safely be traded away.

Thanks bbbt. So I have to divide my number of cities by 4... e.g., if I have 12 cities and 5 sources of Furs, then I can safely trade away 2 Furs? I wish the trade screen indicated it somehow.

Oh, and the actual location of the luxury doesn’t matter as long as it’s worked within my territory correct?

Thanks bbbt. So I have to divide my number of cities by 4... e.g., if I have 12 cities and 5 sources of Furs, then I can safely trade away 2 Furs? I wish the trade screen indicated it somehow.

Oh, and the actual location of the luxury doesn’t matter as long as it’s worked within my territory correct?
Yes on the second paragraph, but not on the first. One copy provides four amenities (one to reach of four cities), but additional copies do not provide any more, even if you have more than four cities.

Like earlier versions of civ, you can trade away all but one copy of a luxury. But unlike earlier games, one copy only helps four cities, forcing you to get more different luxuries and/or find other sources of amenities (there's an article in the strategies and tips sub forum with all the details)

You can trade away 4 furs, preferably for 4 different luxuries. Each unique luxury provides +1 Amenities to 4 cities, with additional copies doing absolutely nothing. So 2 furs will be functionally the same as 1; you need, say, 1 furs and 1 gems to give +1 Amenities to 8 cities (it may be less than 8, as the game will do the optimization for you so if you have a particularly unhappy city it may receive +1 from furs and +1 from gems to make up for it).

Essentially, say you have cities A, B, C,... all the way to H. For non-luxury reasons city A is at -2 Amenities. When you get furs, +1 luxuries will be given to the four cities with the lowest amenities; in this case, A gets +1 to bring it to -1, and the others are tied; for simplicity's sake we'll say B, C, and D get the rest so that the totals are now:
A: -1
E, F, G, H: 0
B, C, D: 1
Then you get gems, which give +1 to your four lowest cities again. That would be A and three of the 0 amenity cities, say E, F, and G. This leaves you with:
A, H: 0
B, C, D, E, F, G: 1
Additional gems and furs will not do anything since you already have them; however, as in previous games, you can use extra copies to trade for luxuries you don't have, which would help (in this case, first to A and H, and then to the others).

Clapyourhands and Willowbrook thank you! I finally understand civ 6 luxury/amenity system.

I gather that the size of map affects the number of variety of luxuries? I just won domination victory on tiny map game on iPad last night, and I had all the luxury types available, and it was missing a lot of luxury types I’ve had on previous games (all my previous games were larger maps and later updated versions on steam Mac).

Clapyourhands and Willowbrook thank you! I finally understand civ 6 luxury/amenity system.

I gather that the size of map affects the number of variety of luxuries? I just won domination victory on tiny map game on iPad last night, and I had all the luxury types available, and it was missing a lot of luxury types I’ve had on previous games (all my previous games were larger maps and later updated versions on steam Mac).
Yes, there are four land luxuries per continent (which is different from landmass in Civ VI), and the number of continents depends on map size. (The two sea luxuries can be found by any continent.)

For some base understanding of trade, a fair trade is 1 lux for 6 GPT.
Does that also mean 1 lux for 180 Gold? I remember in Civ 5, 1 lux could get you 240 Gold, but only 7 GPT (plus another 8ish Gold if they really liked you).

Does that also mean 1 lux for 180 Gold?
Nope, it does not... if I remember my testing its about 120 hard cash up front if they are friendly. Up front cash is just wrong ATM because people abuse it before war. It should be banned, no skilled trader would pay up front for luxuries over a series of years. COD, caveat emptor, no tic are all classic trader dogma

I do remember selling grapes to Trajan for 14 GPT once, you can shop around for the best deal which can be higher. You get about 1/10 standard if you are denounced by them.

Nope, it does not... if I remember my testing its about 120 hard cash up front if they are friendly. Up front cash is just wrong ATM because people abuse it before war. It should be banned, no skilled trader would pay up front for luxuries over a series of years. COD, caveat emptor, no tic are all classic trader dogma

I do remember selling grapes to Trajan for 14 GPT once, you can shop around for the best deal which can be higher. You get about 1/10 standard if you are denounced by them.

There's some tricks in trade systems, such as a lux yields 168G originally, but if you send the AI 3 gifts of 1 Gold, it'll give you 197 for that luxury.

These trade bugs are very annoying , after figuring out such tricks I never tried to make "peaceful" victories, they're buggy and imbalanced, like playing with fools.

Lol meanwhile I was getting 1000+ Gold for like 2 luxes up front. I was playing peacefully and had loads of Alliances though.

Imo, a fair rate for luxes is about 5-7 gpt in early game. After that, that price should triple. Especially if you monopolized a luxury.

Edit: Inflation, that’s the word I was looking for

Top Bottom