Luxury rate in early-early game

albatros13

Chieftain
So do people here raise luxury rate in very early game? Pros vs cons.
What i'm talking about is that in the regent-monarch(for example) game, there are 2 people who are born content and from 3rd they become unhappy by default. Thus, by raising the lux rate to 10%(or 20% if you are really unlucky with money), a player doesn't have to use military police to deal with unhappiness. This would enable ultra-early granary build(no warrior start) or more exploration(all warriors go out exploring).
I find it much more appealing, cause in early game money is almost worthless and everything is about food-shield(in that importancy, respectively). Money just 'comes along' after quick expansion.

Commerce is important to leave despotism ASAP. That may to some degree outweight sacrifices in shields and sometimes even food. In order to maximize commerce however one needs to expand with settlers and that is mostly limited by food.

I use the slider, because the shields and food wasted early on does not outweigh the money.
I can do without money, but not without food, shields or science early.

So yeah, I use the slider early on and replace it with lux/wonders/improvements/mil police asap.

My flowchart on entertainers vs slider:

Are there only few cities of many that will benefit from the slider? yes Hire Clown

No

Use slider

Top Bottom