1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Lying To Get a Job

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Commodore, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Simple question: Have any of you ever lied to get a job? I'm not talking about the small embellishments we all tell during our interviews, but just a straight-up bold-faced lie about your skills and qualifications to get a job you wanted.

If so, how did you feel about it afterwards? Did you feel like to cheated someone more qualified out of a job or were you just happy you didn't get caught in your lie?

2. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

No.

I don't make small embellishments in interviews.

I would immediately fire anyone who I found out had lied in order to obtain a job.

Edit: But what do I know, I'm a puritan.

3. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

No, because:

-It might get me doing stuff that I don't know how to do because I told the boss I could
    -I'd be paranoid there would be a hole in my story and I'd get found out
    -It's just flat out dishonest

4. Commodore

Commodore Deity

As would I. Of course I'm a little more lenient when it comes to small embellishments because I don't see anything wrong with a little bit of harmless self-promotion. It is the complete lies that I have a problem with.

5. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

I wouldn't lie either for these reasons. From a practical standpoint it doesn't help me much.

6. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

Nope, but I've caught multiple people lying to get jobs.

7. ywhtptgtfo

ywhtptgtfo Emperor

I once lied about having advanced C++ skills when interviewed on a game development internship - I am/was good at Java and unwisely thought I could improvise. Got bombed out of the water and the interviewer quietly laughed his ass off as he watched me messing up on the white board.

From then on, I just restricted myself with reasonable exaggerations of my skill.

8. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Would you mind telling us the most ridiculous of those lies, if any of them were ridiculous?

9. Commodore

Commodore Deity

Were they at least semi-believable lies or were they just absolutely crazy ones?

10. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

Nothing super outlandish. People either lied about qualifications (which quickly became apparent), about their ability to pass a background check (which again, easy to check), or where they had worked before/their job title. The funniest example was from somebody trying to sell their previous job as promotions and marketing, but a reference check showed that the candidate was actually a stripper. My client was...not happy.

With most of the big stuff, you're going to eventually get caught. Lying about where you went to school, where you worked, your salary level, and major, mission-critical job skills...that's all typically relatively easy to verify.

11. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

Well I mean, she could have been working two jobs at once, revealing ads on her body as she stripped.

12. ywhtptgtfo

ywhtptgtfo Emperor

She's marketing her body and offering promotion on her physical services.

13. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

That makes sense; they are pretty easy to verify, especially nowadays with a quick internet search. I would guess the only lies that one could get away with are those concerning personality/attitude/etc., but one would have to be a very skilled actor and be able to keep up the facade.

14. Kennigit

Kennigit proud 2 boxer

I make sure to lie to myself first before I lie to other people.

"Yeah Kennigit, you kinda know what you are doing!"

15. dusters

dusters Emperor

I have been struggling with this for a while now. I have some unfinished degrees, and it pains me to say- well i studied there and there, but things got boring, so i left.

Also - kung-fu. Kung-fu doesn't have black belts. We have grades from grade 1 to 12, with 12 as best. And then grades for Masters. But grades mean something only to some organisations. Others just ask who is my sifu's sifu.

How the heck i prove somebody, that i have trained in kung-fu for 10 years and i'm competent to teach others? There are no tournaments in kung-fu either.

16. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

I wouldn't even think of it. Especially if you lie about your skills it's going to come out sooner or later and then you'll be out of a job very soon....And if the lie's provable you might even get a immediate discharge...

17. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

Link to video.

Of course You do not need "skills" to get into the IT department ^^

18. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

Absolutely not. People will figure it out eventually and you'll get let go without a backup plan. Much better to just be honest and be turned down while having your old job.

19. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

Yeah well people lying in their CV is an absolutely known fact ! I mean the CV is just a ...... well let's not get into that crap .... :/ In other words the whole glorified concept of a "bottle nuggin'" CV is crap -> You know man when You see him ! ....and that's that ! For God's sake !

20. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Never needed to.