Lyrics for Baba Yetu (For those who want to sing/read along)

I meant that

AWESOME!!!!! thanks for the translation ^_^ :D

Weeeee thread necromancy! :)

Hi I am Vögelchen. A long time lurker and reader but its my first post here. I am singing for a very small christian gospel choir and I am searching the notes for this song Baba Yetu. It should include all three (or four) voices, a piano and drumms. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance,
Vögelchen

Furthermore, you again contradict yourself. You just told me you would not like the song if it was sung about Osama Bin Laden, and you don't agree with the ideals of his group. Now you are saying that not liking a song because of this reason is "wrong IMO". I don't care if you are christian or a fruit-loop scientologist, hypocracy is hypocracy.

I made a very simple argument, that was in fact supported by one of your own statements. If a song can mean more to you because of the lyrics, it can certainly have the converse effect(or is it affect? I never know which) and mean less.

However you said that a song can only mean more to someone due to lyrics, and not mean less (or they're a bigot, in your eyes). Then you go on to say you would not like the song if it was sung about Osama. Well... color me confused. :crazyeye: Did it ever occur to you that maybe a christian themed song is offensive to people as an Osama themed song is to you?

Heh, so, being similarly offended by the teachings of Jesus is completely equal to being offended by doctrine Osama Bin Laden, else a person is a hypocrit? Quite honestly, how foolish.

"Did it ever occur to you that maybe a christian themed song is offensive to people as an Osama themed song is to you?" Honestly, who cares if they do? I find that weak and baseless. Unless your some holocaust survivor that the pope himself nearly cast into the oven, were bit by a Saint Bernard, then got run over by a pastor in a street sweeper, that "offensive as Bin Laden" claim is rediculous!

You say I'm a hypocrit? Listen closely, Laden is, a, murderer! I'm sorry if some Christian whizzed on your cornbread... but dat-no-meany Jesus+Osama=equal

That rich-boy nutcase doesn't Care about afghans OR saudis, he won't even obey what they tell him to do. Just boo hoos like a little freakin' girl because he wants power. Well that spot's already taken by saudi nobles and afghan warlords.

Unfortunatly his little girl "temper tantrums" involve killing 1000's of civilians.

Comparing that guy to Jesus? One who taught to love your enemies, be humble, sincerly worship God, turn the other cheek, and would have the sheer guts to *GASP!!!* tell you flat out when your being immoral? I don't care! It's immature and foolish.

I really don't care if that hurts your ego. Guilty as charged, and proud too. Thats my honest opinion. And, I'm right. Call it trolling if you want to, I'm being sincere with you. Osama and Jesus do not a moral equal make, and being as sensitive as some people are to religion is simply rediculous. Your freedom of expression and belief ends where another persons lips begin. There is no freedom "from" religion. Hurts to see so many grippers.

Methinks the game's civilopedia(sp?) excerpt on "freespeech" covers some of the issues here, quite gracefully.

amina Brother!

love the song.. i can envision this song in a huge epic blockbuster movie...

Speaking of which, i just saw a trailer for Avatar, and could easily see this song played in that movie towards the end or in the credits.. just saying.. heres hoping Hollywood is taking notes...

the song has such an epic feel of hope and salvation... Like the species in the movie.
Spoiler :
A human infiltrates the aliens for spying purposes, but then turns on his fellow humans after learning to respect and love the species they are attacking and to help save them

Here (http://arbitr-nn.ru/private/Baba_Yetu_One_Line.pdf) I've sketched the (mainly) upper voice notation of Baba Yetu, for those who'd like to play it themselves. Of course, it's not as valuable as (somewhere here promised) original orchestration by Christopher Tin, and my ears, I should admit, are also far from perfection, but nevertheless… as Romans said: feci quod potui, faciant meliora potentes.
Special thanks to MSTK, Smotsholle and Waterchan. My chords version slightly differ from MSTK's one, but then I've written both variants. And sorry for my old-styled H instead of B and B instead of Bis.

Baba Yetu is certainly a beautiful song, it is powerful, but calming. It captivated me the first time I heard it, and has since it occupied a place in my "Favorites" playlist on my iPod. It's pretty weird to hear it playing in the midst of all the Japanese rock music, but hell, the song's so good.

a thought:
With Civilization 5 looming not too far ahead, I'm starting to wonder if they'll be able to choose something equally fitting and magnificient.

Ode for BabaYetu in Dubai

dubai fountain - Burj Khalifa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_GQYI9brGs

I can't put HTML code ?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M_GQYI9brGs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M_GQYI9brGs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

A similar prayer exists in Danish. We call it "Fader Vor", which fits with the "Baba yetu". It's a catchy tune I agree, though. If I ever get a country to lead, this'll be the national anthem! :)

How about Kia Hora Te Marino also by Christopher Tin? The last few notes are the first few of Baba Yetu.

Hah, coming across this song on Youtube actually made me want to buy the game. At first, I noticed Beyond the Sword screen didn't have this song, but fortunately there was an option to change the title screen, and all was good. ;)

At the risk of starting a religion debate.. I felt compelled to point out that Christianity isn't a polytheistic religion.

lol

Try to convince a Jew, a Muslim, a Buddhist or just about anyone not Christian about that. You worship 3 (or 4) gods: The father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. The fourth godd(ess) is the Maria worshipped in a rather religious mannner by the Catholics. A Hindu, belonging to a religion with quite a number of gods, would immediately recognize the claim that they are ultimately one.

Haha best theme in the game, I sometimes listen to it for hours while looking in civilpedia :p

Top Bottom