1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mac or Windows?

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Creation & Customization' started by Sanotra, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

Is Civilization Colonization and the mods posted here compatible with both Mac and Windows. Reason I ask is because I just switched to a mac.

2. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

The answer is the same as for Beyond the Sword. Aspyr ported to mac and they didn't add support for modded DLL files. This means any mod changing the DLL will not work. If the change is in python and xml only, then it will work.

To my knowledge, all colo mods do mod the DLL. That's not the same as colonization is unplayable on mac. You just need a way to play the windows version, which can be done with Bootcamp , virtulization or Wine. Do note that they are sorted based on performance with bootcamp being the fastest.

Sadly none of those solutions are HD space friendly and they require setup, particularly wine is difficult to get right. OSX is a great OS for games, but developers aren't really using it. If you plan to play games other than those from AppStore or open source, then I would recommend Bootcamp. Some games (like Wasteland 2) are released as a windows game concealed in some emulator, meaning the mac version runs slower than the windows version on the same computer and sometimes with mac specific bugs.

The issue with Apple and games is due to John Sculley. As CEO of Apple, he had the idea that the big money was in business solutions and that being able to play games on a mac was a sign that it was a toy and not serious. He actively tried to kill games for mac, preventing positive game reviews and stuff like that. Meanwhile Microsoft tried to move from the office environment to the more profitable gaming world. Even though John Sculley left Apple in 1993, Apple never recovered. That's the guy you should blame whenever you have problems finding a mac native version of a game.

najan likes this.
  3. MDoulos

MDoulos Chieftain

Thanks Nightinggale, that answers my question. I've since installed bootcamp with Windows and it works perfectly.

4. Nightinggale

Nightinggale Deity

I have an update on the mac port, which I read the other day. Aspyr decided that unlike the windows version, the mac version should not include python. Instead it should read the python preinstalled in OSX itself. It's useful for keeping the file size down (and some other stuff), but Apple has since updated python meaning they no longer provide the version needed by the civ4 releases. It should be possible to install the old version yourself and get the game to use that one. However since that won't fix the DLL issue, I say forget about it and use the windows version.

5. MDoulos

MDoulos Chieftain

Works for me. No reason to try and install on mac now that I've got a working setup with bootcamp on the macbook. The 13 inch macbook isn't good for the higher graphic settings though.