1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Mac user love / hate mods

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Macintosh' started by Henri P Michaud, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Henri P Michaud

Henri P Michaud Chieftain

Hi, I'm new to this site, don't know why it took me so long to join. Been a civFanatic since Civ 1. Cheers.

Civ 6 has been the first civ game where I've started using mods. Oh gosh I do love them! cgui and moar units and many others. But damn if they don't break my games more often than not. I feel like what happens is that the PC world gets a civ update and mods get updated and because I mod through steam I end up with mods that are not compatible with my civ version. Is this possible?

I'm in a game now which is super fun to play and where my civ is really doing well. But I open the game and now I can't see build palettes anymore or some of the other required UI elements are gone. Also can't build lighthouses. This game is at epic speeds with large maps, so needless to say, I invest lots of time in my games. I'm starting to think that I'll have to play without mods... but then I also think, how can I play without cqui?

What are your thoughts on this? Any tips? I don't want to lose another game mid way through the renaissance are!

2. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

Right now, Us Mac-ers are between a Rock and a Hard Place with Mods. Many of them are being Updated for Rise & Fall, which we don't have yet. In my experience, that means an increasing number of Mods will no longer work with the Pre-R&F version of the game we are still playing, even if they worked just a few days ago. The number of Mods I regularly use has been cut by almost 2/3s in the past two weeks, and I expect it to get worse before before we see the Mac version of Rise & Fall and 'catch up' with the rest of the Civ VI Universe.

3. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

It's actually surprising that mods aren't separated into R&F / no R&F options. It would hurt no-one if the last version of mods before the expansion would stay around on the workshop. Not just for mac users, but also for players that didn't buy R&F (yet).

4. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Keep in mind that the "last" version in the Workshop would be the version before the free vanilla patch (the pre-R&F patch) was issued, so to keep the mod current for both vanilla players and R&F players, the mod creator would have to both update the vanilla version of the mod for the last free patch and spit out an R&F version. Certainly do-able, but a bit more work for the modder.

iamliberal and Siptah like this.
  5. iamliberal

iamliberal Chieftain

I tried cqui mod last year and it looked great but there was a bug with my starting units had directional lines going off into fog of war for no reason, so I deactivated it. I read somewhere that you can download cqui from its own website with various version numbers. So you could restore your cqui mod version from that. But tbh I found it confusing and not worth it - but search around see what you find. Nothing worse than an interruption to a great epic or marathon Civ game. Good luck!

6. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Warlord

Quick update for everybody: DO NOT believe the many Mods that now say they are "Rise & Fall" compatible. Some of them are apparently compatible with the March Update, which us Mac-Aronis don't have yet. I went wild reloading a bunch of my favorite Mods when I got R&F day before yesterday, then had to disable a bunch because they don't work with the 'Mac Configuration' of R&F - yet.

Premier likes this.
  7. Premier

Premier Dept of Isthmi & Tombolos

Personally, I find the Mac version and mods a mixed blessing: when there's a PC update, I'm sure to replace all my mods from a TimeMachine backup. This keeps them working and avoids issues once the mods begin getting updated for said PC patch. By the time the Mac version of a patch rolls out, all the major mods are usually updated.

This used to be more seamless/on point with the timing in CiV (and a couple other games). The only kicker for now - as Boris Gudenuf points out - is that they've rolled another PC patch out, so we're still one update behind.

That said, almost all of my essential mods are working, with the exception of CQUI, which isn't even updated for PC yet, i.e., the March patch or R&F for that matter.

8. Pnothy

Pnothy Chieftain

It is possible to get CQUI working, for the current vanilla Mac version there actually is a CQUI release that works. See the post in MODS that work on Mac. It might also help out other people with specific needs.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  9. tarafran

tarafran Chieftain

CQUI is almost working on Mac R&F
    The only major bug for me is that the tech tree is not working (ie nothing happen when clicking on the tech tree button)
    The rest of it looks and works great