1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mac Version

Discussion in 'Civ4 - The Ancient Mediterranean MOD' started by thamis, Jul 24, 2006.

1. thamis

thamis King of Kish

We've got a simple zipped version on the TAM website for Mac users to download. I have no clue how to install the Mac version (have no Mac), so it would be cool if a Mac user could tell me. :)

2. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

@Thamis:

I've already been in contact with you. You asked me to tell you what was needed to make this mod Mac-compatible. I emailed a detailed reply, the most important issue being that it contains a CvGameCore.dll that the Mac version will not handle. I also fed back fixes that you need to do to the XML to make it play nice with the Mac version, and I've had no response. If you didn't receive my email, please let me know and I'll send it again. Alternatively, check your spam bucket in case that's where it finished up.

3. thamis

thamis King of Kish

Hey, AlanH!

Thanks for your reply. I searched through my spam bucket which is actually where it ended up. I added you to the exception list now. :)

Thanks for your answers. I'll work on fixing it up so that it runs on the Mac, at least without the SDK.

4. AlanH

That's a relief! I was wondering what I'd said to offend you .... now I wonder what I said to offend your spam filter :mischief:

What will be missing without the CvGameCore.dll?

5. thamis

thamis King of Kish

AI changes I think, but we should best check with Seven05, as he's our SDK god. ;)

6. AlanH

That would presumably stop Mac players joining multiplayer games that use TAM, but they'd still be OK to play single player games.

7. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

Well, you know, any talk about macs is spam :)

From an AI standpoint you'll miss out on some fine-tuning aspects in the DLL right now. If we continue with other AI changes I'd like to make it will be missing more but should still be very playable, much like it is in its current state.

8. thamis

thamis King of Kish

I've uploaded a new Mac version 1.951 for all Mac users out there. It's zipped (therefore about twice as big), and I removed all special characters from the XML (I think). Let me know whether it works!

9. AlanH

I've downloaded and installed it and played a few turns on the small map scenario. Seems to be fine. Well done :) :goodjob:

Installation:

• Expand the zip file (just a double click if you have Stuffit Expander)
    • Move the /TAM_v1.951 Folder/Mods/The Ancient Mediterranean/ folder into your /Applications/Civilization IV/Mods/ folder
    • Move the files in the /TAM_v1.951 Folder/PublicMaps folder into your /Applications/Civilization IV/PublicMaps/ folder.
    Running the Mod:
    • Start up Civ4
    • Select Advanced in the main menu
    • Select Load A Mod
    • Select "The Ancient Mediterranean" in the file selection screen
    • Click OK. Agree to the reload message.
    • When the Civ4 main menu reappears you should have the Ancient Mediterranean splash screen
    • Select Single Player
    • Select Play A Scenario
    • Select one of the Ancient Mediterranean scenarios
    • Continue as usual to select the game parameters.

10. von Tirpitz

von Tirpitz Chieftain

Thanks a lot for the Mac Version, thamis :)

I really enjoy using it...

11. AlexandrNyetski

AlexandrNyetski Chieftain

I am going to give this a try. A PC-using friend of mine loves this mod. However, he tells me that the AI changes are actually critical for the playability of the mod - that without the AI changes, the AI is unable to address key aspects of the scenario and plays stupidly as a result.

Can you give me more information as to what AI changes are missing?

12. thamis

thamis King of Kish

It's just some fine-tuning, but most of it should work as expected. Give it a try!

13. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

As of 1.951 the only DLL change for the AI that has actually been released is a change to the way the "Aggressive AI" game option works. We have several others in the que but they haven't made it intoa release yet. The biggest AI changes right now are all XML based so you'll get everything the PC users are suffering through right now :)

14. Josh Wolf

Josh Wolf Chieftain

Cool, thanks for bringing this to the Mac! Looking forward to trying this out once my current scenario ends :).

15. AlexandrNyetski

Looks great, of course a lot of docs aren't in place, but, that's no biggee.

16. AlexandrNyetski

Also, AIs seem effective enough -

17. thamis

thamis King of Kish

What do you mean by "docs" not in place?

18. captainmajestic

captainmajestic Chieftain

yup, I've got the same errors that MickeyKitsu has.

(There's two XML files that fail to load:
    Assets/XML/Text/Hittites.xml
    Assets/XML/Text/TAM_Civilopedia_BuildingsProjects.xml

And the other obvious error so far is that if i select the Thrace civilization, the game crashes to the desktop.)

Also, when I build the Persian hero the game instantly crashes. I'm using 1.97 version, the latest one for the mac. Is there a more stable version or any ideas how to fix these problems??

help much appreciated. From what little I played, the MOD looks the . .. .. .. ..

so help, help, help!

me beg!

please!

19. GarethBeaumains

GarethBeaumains Chieftain

I posted this under the Mac forums, but I thought it would be best to post this under TAM:

Any ideas what could be causing the meltdown?

20. thamis

thamis King of Kish

Look in the TAM BTS thread... the error seems to be the same for PC. It's being looking into.