1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

MacArthur as a tank Great General?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Grand Admiral Edward, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Grand Admiral Edward

Grand Admiral Edward Chieftain

Why do you have MacArthur as a Great General that creates a tank when used? He was never a tank commander compared to his contemporaries. If you have a Great General creating a tank, it should be George S. Patton, Erwin Rommel, or Heinz Guiderian.
    I maybe could see why you wouldn't include the latter 2 (particularly Guiderian, due to possibly being banned in Germany for "Glorifying Nazi Imagery"), but having Patton as the General that creates a tank would be a better fit. Or if you wanted MacArthur as a Great General, maybe make his bonus something like units don't receive the amphibious penalty for going from coast to inland (to represent his ability to storm beaches). If that's too weak (because it would be fairly niche AND redundant with a melee class promotion), maybe also make it so embarked units also get +1 movement or something.
    I nitpick at things like this because little things like this irritate me. I once ranted about how you treat(ed) Ships of the Line in Civ 5 and Pirates. You treat them as just upgraded Frigates, when they were the Battleships of the Age of Sail. Frigates acted as cruisers, doing things like hunting down commerce raiders, blockade duty, and in peace time, showing the flag. Ships of the Line were expensive to operate (and build), vulnerable to smaller ships, and were too high value to risk anywhere but the line of battle (hence Ship of the LINE). Pirates does it even worse by having "ships of the line" being just big frigates with 48 guns. The SMALLEST ships of the line had a bare minimum of 64 guns

2. Haig

Haig Deity

I wouldnt even have him as a Great General in any form! Or if you want to roleplay him, just "retire" him at the sight of first enemy attack while leaving your troops to their own fate..!

hhhhhh and 8housesofelixir like this.
  3. Grand Admiral Edward

MacArthur Was a competent general (his retreat from the Philippines was ordered by Roosevelt, btw), if a bit grandstanding. His attack on Inchon during the Korean War was brilliant (and he also knew the Chinese would intervene when the North Koreans lost). Maybe a bit nuke happy, and loathed Truman, but was atleast a decent commander. He was on the same level as Nimitz, which caused some politicking on who actually got to command the planned operation to invade Japan, and was also considered for a 6 star rank.

4. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

MacArthur was an arrogant SOB who thought he didn't have to obey his civilian superiors, and got sacked by Truman as a result. In WWII, he was a very slow learner, coming up with the 'Island-Hopping" campaign only after getting two divisions butchered at Buna. Certainly not among the Great Generals, which is what the game supposedly includes.

As for a great tank general, may I suggest a short list:

General Hoeppner - commander of 4th Panzer Group in 1941, came closest of any German commander to Moscow, was executed by the Nazis for taking part in the 20 July 1944 Plot, so is 'politically correct' even in Germany

General Balck - possibly Germany's best armored tactician as a panzer regiment, division, corps, and Army Group commander by the end of the war

General Hoth - Balck's only competitor for the best armored tactician title in the Wehrmacht

General Katukov - his 4th Tank Brigade gave Guderian's panzers a bloody nose at Mtsensk in 1941, gave the Germans another bloody nose as commander of 1st Guards Tank Army at Kursk in 1943, commanded tank units from Moscow to Berlin

General Pavel Rotmistrov - similar history: tank brigade commander in 1941, tank army commander in 1943 - 44, Chief of the Armored Directorate of the Red Army in 1945.

General Chernyakovskii - tank division commander in 1941, tank corps commander in 1942, by late 1944 the youngest Army Group (Soviet Front) commander in any army in WWII.

Marshal Tukhachevskii - before Stalin had him judicially murdered, he literally wrote the book on deep strike armored operations, the Soviet PU-36 Field Regulations

5. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

I think most of us will agree that the great people lists aren't the most meritocratic ever; especially the generals & admirals. Some of the choices are...very out of left field.

6. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

I would have thought Erwin Rommel would have been alright for German audiences. He was involved in that July plot to bump off Hitler after all.

For those of us who don't like the choices that Firaxis have made with respect to Great dudes, we can always rename them. I have Isaac Asimov as a great writer and Stephen Hawking as a great scientist. I couldn't tell you who they replaced though, I was probably drunk when I edited the UI file.

nzcamel likes this.
  7. Grand Admiral Edward

And yet some of them are pretty good, and make some sense. Most of the Great Admirals seem to have the appropriate effect for what they did. The only one I sort of have a problem with (and not as much as I have with MacArthur simply because Nimitz did use subs) would be Nimitz granting bonuses to submarines. A bonus to Aircraft Carriers would be a better choice imho.

nzcamel likes this.