MacLordsv01 ~ By Any Means Necessary

This messy little war is cleaning up well. :)

Order of Play:

dojoboy (UTC -5)
willpax (UTC -5)
Welnic (UTC -7) - just finished
Aoxomoxoa (UTC -8) - up :whipped:
Ankh-f-n-Khonsu (UTC -8) - on deck
Onagan (UTC +1) - warming up

I feel like the trash player, while Welnic cleans up. How do you capture cities so quickly?

With the current WOTM, I'm feeling incompetent at war as well. I seem to be missing something basic that warmongers seem to know about how to campaign effectively.

I feel like the trash player, while Welnic cleans up. How do you capture cities so quickly?

With the current WOTM, I'm feeling incompetent at war as well. I seem to be missing something basic that warmongers seem to know about how to campaign effectively.

Hey, pass me that burger wrapper please, and what ever is left in the soda bottle over there.

You're not alone. ;)

Turn 1 - 1580 AD - Mao has a couple stacks heading toward Utica. They are pillaging. Moving troops toward Utica, big stack off of Xian is healing, cats bombarding. Traded wines to Liz for 3gpt.

Turn 2 - 1583 AD - Razed Xian, lost a cossack, but collected 180 gold. Held fast in Utica, then have put a hurt on his stack depleting it. Reinforcements on the way. A Great Engineer is born, parking him in Moscow for Oxford. Our Greenpeace Explorer pillaged Mao's Whaling boats.

Turn 3 - 1586 AD - Looks like Mao sent most of his troops to Utica, where they are failing miserably. I'm gaining reinforcements and picking off his stack w/o losing any. Hadrementum looks safe, Cossack picked off a single Knight on the way there. When I get rid of the stack, going to get that little town in between.

Turn 4 - 1589 AD - Liz won't trade Econ 101, Alex will but for waaaay too much (Nationalism & Chemistry). Gems appear on a mine in Rostov! Pillaged 120 gold. Whittled his stack down to a Knight.

Turn 5 - 1592 AD - Knight gone, our stack now moving toward Kaifeng. our south stack is pillaging while the Cossacks heal. There is obviously a town in the fog to the North..

Turn 6 - 1595 AD - Picking off his strays, I got weedy and forgot and he got a couple workers i got greedy in trying to get those wines hooked up. Another 87 pillage gold.

Turn 7 - 1598 AD - Fairly quiet turn, killed a couple more stragglers including a General. Still sending troops toward the fron with Utica has the mustering poing. After we get Kaifeng, a pincer movement from the north and the south to get that city east of Beijing.

Turn 8 - 1601 AD - Kaifeng is razed. South stack is still healing north stack moving toward Haifeng.

Turn 9 - 1604 AD - Great Scientist born, sending him to build academy in Novgorod. North stack closes in on Haifeng. A caraval moved in from the sea and killed one of the south Triremes, the other is running away.

Turn 10 - 1607 AD - Traded whales to Gandhi for 3gpt. Traded Constitution to Caesar for Econ 101 and 550 gold. Research is still 30% but we are now +2 and we have 1758G in the bank. Troops enroute are heading to Utica.

Printing press is due in 3 turns, I've started some Universities, I imagine we can whip those soon. the Great Engineer is in Moscow, Great Scientist on his way to Novgorod for Academy. Haifeng has 1 Knight, 2 longbows and something else, so it should go down pretty easily.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/12410/MacLordsV01_AD-1607.CivWarlordsSave

Aoxo

Order of Play:

dojoboy (UTC -5) - warming up
willpax (UTC -5)
Welnic (UTC -7)
Aoxomoxoa (UTC -8) - just finished
Ankh-f-n-Khonsu (UTC -8) - up :whipped:
Onagan (UTC +1) - on deck

Man, some people get all the fun! Great report Aoxomoxoa. :goodjob:

Good work, Aoxomoxoa! Sounds like a well run campaign.

Looking at the schedule, it seems possible that my turn would come up the first week in June. I will be out of town (and without a Civ-capable computer) from 30 June until 7 July. So, if my turn comes up in that window, I will need a pass.

A few items:

(1) I feel we need to increase our research rate while the treasury is bloated.
(2) We can trade clams or silk to Augustus for 3 gpt; Elizabeth & Gandhi are "alright w/ him."
(3) Mao is ready to pay well for peace, but he'll probably not have the gold or gpt next turn.
(4) Unless Mao's cities are "choice," we should begin razing.
(5) Do we want to reloacte our capital w/ the Great Engineer?

Attachments

• west_central_maclords.jpg
    west_central_maclords.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 59
IMO, relocating the capitol without the Great Engineer shouldn't be a problem. We have some very productive sites.. I still think the GE (since it seemed to be a gift) for Oxford. That will have a big effect on our science rate. Just got to get Univ's whipped.

And speaking of universities, grats to my alma mater for winning the College World Series for the 2nd year in a row. Go Beavs!

As far as the campaign, I was left with a great position by Welnic from which to operate from. Wish I hadn't gotten weedy with those workers, but combination of greed and lack of patience on my part. Luckily we have alot of workers..

Another good round; thanks, Aoxomoxoa. I expect to look this over tonight and post a pre-turn if it seems necessary; much appears pretty straightforward atm, I think.

I agree the research rate should be cranked up, unless there's some impending need for lots of cash. I also agree it's time to start razing cities. I wouldn't take Mao's peace offering until our troops are too exhausted to continue ending any chance the Chinese have of victory. Finally, I agree that the GE should be saved for Oxford. Should we start work on moving the capital now? Anybody have a location in mind? Any thoughts on the next science target?

Istanbul might make a good location for the capital, but is that far enough west. Or, maybe we want to wait until Elixzabeth is gone and use one of her cities.

Didn't have the time last night I thought I would, so will play this evening. I have had a look, though...

I think I'll raze Hangzhou, and then perhaps we should end the war after all. Our forces are thinning out, and it's probably time to rebuild the economy without the cost of war at our back. Anybody opposed to peace after knocking down one last city? Mao will give us all his gold (790) and all his available gpt (8). Not throwing in his one tech, DR, but who cares. Maybe he will after razing Hangzhou, but I probably wouldn't notice if we never acquired it.

Istanbul looks a good capital site to me, too; I'll start building there once the grocery is up and running. Planning to set science to Democracy after Printing Press -- we're starting to deal with emancipation issues. Once that's researched we'll have a major revolution on our hands; we probably have awhile before another major campaign requiring military civics.

How do you guys feel about the mechanics of burning the surplus on science? 60% would be -95gpt, 70% is -128gpt, and 100% is -193gpt. We currently have 1758g. I've seen players crank to 100% in this sitch, for as long as possible. I tend to go for 60-70%. I have no idea how the math compares.

I'm certainly weak on the mechanics of scinece too. What I typically try to do is find a sweet spot where the expense makes a big jump, then settle below that.

Another option would be to crank the science and continue the war, but focus on pillaging for money (I tend to be a bigger pillager in solo games). Mao has many tiles that can give up alot of gold. At least for some more turns.

Aoxo

I overlooked one of our stacks when I reviewed the game earlier. :mischief: As a result, decided definitely to push on toward Beijing, pillaging all the while. We'll raze Beijing, I imagine, but will need more siege afterward, some of which is on the way or being built.

Mao sent a couple stacks our way, easily defeated. Once in awhile he sends a knight on a suicide mission, I have no idea why. Besides garrisons, I think his forces are entirely depleted.

We have more workers than I know what to do with. I look forward to Railroad.

Cossacks are almighty.

Major events:

1610: Sold clams to Cæsar for 3gpt. Whipped the university in Moscow. Discovered printing press.

1613: Hypatia constructs an academy in Novgorod. Scientists turn attention toward democracy.

1616: Mao snagged one of our workers; sorry. The university in Carthage was whipped. Hangzhou's walls are breached.

1619: At the cost of a single treb, Hangzhou is razed.

The years 1622-1634 were bleak ones for the Chinese, as our army pillaged the land en route to Beijing. One of our cossacks had his head crushed in by a maceman after I carelessly left him alone, injured.

1637: Our forces arrive at Beijing, and begin the siege. Our sixth university is built; GE heading toward Istanbul to build Oxford. I should have sent him earlier; Onagan will have the great pleasure of erecting the new wonder.

Spoiler :
Turn 340/660 (1610 AD) [26-Jun-2007 21:45:11]
While attacking in Russian territory at Hadrumetum, Pikeman defeats (4.08/6): Chinese Knight (Prob Victory: 91.0%)
While attacking in Chinese territory near Hangzhou, Cossack defeats (14.70/15): Chinese Maceman (Prob Victory: 96.9%)
Tech learned: Printing Press
Moscow finishes: University
Istanbul grows: 16
Yekaterinburg finishes: University
Carthage grows: 9
Hadrumetum grows: 5

Turn 341/660 (1613 AD) [26-Jun-2007 22:02:16]
A Farm was built near Hippo
A Farm was built near Yakutsk
A Pasture was built near Hadrumetum
Novgorod finishes: Academy
Confucianism has spread: Utica
Research begun: Democracy (19 Turns)
Yekaterinburg begins: Market (14 turns)
Moscow begins: Cossack (8 turns)
Moscow begins: Trebuchet (5 turns)
Moscow grows: 14
A Town was built near Istanbul
Yaroslavl' finishes: Cossack
Hippo grows: 6
Utica finishes: Stable
While defending in Chinese territory near Utica, Worker loses to: Chinese Catapult (5.00/5) (Prob Victory: 3.1%)
While defending in Roman territory near Neapolis, Trireme defeats (1.12/2): Chinese Caravel (Prob Victory: 42.2%)
Civics Change: Gandhi(India) from 'Free Market' to 'State Property'

Turn 342/660 (1616 AD) [26-Jun-2007 22:14:23]
Cossack promoted: Combat I
Cossack promoted: Pinch
A Mine was built near Utica
Yaroslavl' begins: Cossack (6 turns)
Utica begins: Cossack (9 turns)
St. Petersburg finishes: University
Carthage finishes: University
Yakutsk finishes: Cossack
Hippo's borders expand

Turn 343/660 (1619 AD) [26-Jun-2007 22:26:37]
While attacking in Russian territory at Hadrumetum, Cossack defeats (9.60/15): Chinese Knight (Prob Victory: 100.0%)
While attacking in Russian territory at Hadrumetum, Cossack defeats (11.70/15): Chinese Knight (Prob Victory: 100.0%)
While attacking in Chinese territory at Hangzhou, Trebuchet loses to: Chinese Longbowman (5.16/6) (Prob Victory: 0.5%)
While attacking in Chinese territory at Hangzhou, Trebuchet defeats (0.88/4): Chinese Longbowman (Prob Victory: 4.6%)
While attacking in Chinese territory at Hangzhou, Cossack defeats (8.25/15): Chinese Musketman (Prob Victory: 96.9%)
While attacking in Chinese territory at Hangzhou, Grenadier defeats (4.80/12): Chinese Longbowman (Prob Victory: 96.7%)
While attacking in Chinese territory at Hangzhou, Musketman defeats (7.65/9): Chinese Pikeman (Prob Victory: 97.1%)
Christianity has spread: Hangzhou
Captured Hangzhou (Mao Zedong)
Razed Hangzhou
Hangzhou lost
A Farm was built near Rostov
St. Petersburg begins: Grenadier (2 turns)
St. Petersburg begins: Trebuchet (2 turns)
St. Petersburg begins: Buddhist Temple (4 turns)
Carthage begins: Forge (23 turns)
Yakutsk begins: Cossack (7 turns)
Novgorod finishes: Harbor
Carthage grows: 6
A Village was built near Hadrumetum

Turn 344/660 (1622 AD) [26-Jun-2007 22:40:37]
While attacking in Russian territory at Hadrumetum, Cossack defeats (2.70/15): Chinese Knight (Prob Victory: 99.0%)
While attacking in the wild near Hadrumetum, Cossack defeats (8.70/15): Chinese Knight (Prob Victory: 99.0%)
While attacking in Chinese territory near Jaipur, Cossack defeats (14.70/15): Chinese Knight (Prob Victory: 99.9%)
Trebuchet promoted: Barrage III
A Mine was built near Utica
Novgorod begins: University (30 turns)
Leptis finishes: Lighthouse

Turn 345/660 (1625 AD) [26-Jun-2007 22:48:11]
While attacking in Chinese territory near Jaipur, Cossack defeats (5.70/15): Chinese Knight (Prob Victory: 99.9%)
While attacking in Russian territory at Utica, Cossack defeats (15.00/15): Chinese Musketman (Prob Victory: 98.7%)
While attacking in Russian territory at Utica, Cossack defeats (15.00/15): Chinese Musketman (Prob Victory: 98.9%)
While attacking in Russian territory at Utica, Pikeman defeats (6.00/6): Chinese War Elephant (Prob Victory: 98.8%)
While attacking in Russian territory at Utica, Cossack defeats (15.00/15): Chinese Catapult (Prob Victory: 100.0%)
A Mine was built near Carthage
Leptis begins: Harbor (15 turns)
Moscow begins: Cossack (7 turns)
Moscow finishes: Cossack
St. Petersburg finishes: Buddhist Temple
Istanbul finishes: Grocer
A Village was built near Warwick
While defending in Chinese territory near Jaipur, Cossack loses to: Chinese Maceman (2.24/8) (Prob Victory: 16.2%)

Turn 346/660 (1628 AD) [26-Jun-2007 22:54:26]
While attacking in Chinese territory near Jaipur, Cossack defeats (15.00/15): Chinese Maceman (Prob Victory: 100.0%)
A Mine was built near Carthage
A Farm was built near Carthage
St. Petersburg begins: Grenadier (2 turns)
St. Petersburg begins: Cossack (3 turns)
St. Petersburg begins: Cossack (3 turns)
Moscow grows: 15
Istanbul grows: 17
Utica finishes: Cossack
Hadrumetum grows: 6

Turn 347/660 (1631 AD) [26-Jun-2007 23:04:31]
Utica begins: Trebuchet (6 turns)
St. Petersburg finishes: Grenadier
Novgorod grows: 9
Novgorod finishes: University
Yaroslavl' finishes: Cossack
New Kerk grows: 11
Utica grows: 6
Hadrumetum finishes: Courthouse
Civics Change: Elizabeth(England) from 'Mercantilism' to 'Free Market'

Turn 348/660 (1634 AD) [26-Jun-2007 23:11:25]
Cossack promoted: Combat I
Cossack promoted: Combat II
While attacking in Chinese territory near Hyderabad, Cossack defeats (13.05/15): Chinese Cho-Ko-Nu (Prob Victory: 98.0%)
Novgorod begins: Bank (150 turns)
Yaroslavl' begins: Trebuchet (4 turns)
Hadrumetum begins: Library (7 turns)
Rostov finishes: University
Yaroslavl''s borders expand
Yakutsk grows: 9
Yakutsk finishes: Cossack

Turn 349/660 (1637 AD) [26-Jun-2007 23:20:17]
A Winery was built near Utica
Rostov begins: Trebuchet (7 turns)
Yakutsk begins: Cossack (6 turns)
Yakutsk begins: Grenadier (5 turns)

Attachments

• MacLordsV01 AD-1637.CivWarlordsSave
    292 KB · Views: 47
I suppose we should raze Beijing, but it might be a nice one to keep. However, having 2-3 stray cities in the west will make defense of them difficult.

Order of Play:

dojoboy (UTC -5) - on deck
willpax (UTC -5) - warming up
Welnic (UTC -7)
Aoxomoxoa (UTC -8)
Ankh-f-n-Khonsu (UTC -8) - just finished
Onagan (UTC +1) - up :whipped:

I have to withdraw. My Daughter felt ill last night and is taken into the hospital.

As you understand I don't have the time and interest for playing Civ IV right now.

ps. I would make Mao a Vassel.

Onagan, sorry to hear of your daughter's illness. I will cover her in prayer, as well as you and family. When you get a chance, let us know how she's doing. :religion:

Order of Play:

dojoboy (UTC -5) - up :whipped:
willpax (UTC -5) - on deck
Welnic (UTC -7) - warming up
Aoxomoxoa (UTC -8)
Ankh-f-n-Khonsu (UTC -8) - just finished
Onagan (UTC +1) - withdrawn

Onagan, let us know if you wish to return. :)

Top Bottom