1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

MadDjinn - Deity Babylon Pangea

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by MadDjinn, Jul 13, 2012.

1. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

[G&K v.705 PC]
    DLC - all
    Settings - Deity - Standard map size/speed - Pangea map

Having troubles with a tech VC in Gods & Kings? Babylon will show you the way.

This time we've got Babylon on a Pangea map with the chosen opponents of: Huns, Celts, Ethiopia, Carthage, Austria, Sweden and the Mayans. The chosen civs are mainly to round out showing off the new civs under AI control.

We'll try to aim for a peaceful Tech VC, but who knows if the AI will let us.

Link to video.

edit: added the autosave.

Attached Files:

2. A Rabid Dopsis

A Rabid Dopsis Warlord

I do like the "I'm not aiming to annihilate everyone" LPs. There's less trudging around from capital to capital in the late game.

That said, all your LPs are pretty awesome.

3. tithin

tithin Merely Marauding.

Mayans - They think you're a warmongering menace to the world. You've got about two units and haven't attacked anyone or taken any cities

That's comedy.

4. Helldritch

Helldritch Chieftain

Ho boy... finaly found where the files is. I'll download it at home to give it a try.

5. ense7en

ense7en n7

Nice, as always, love your LPs.

6. Tabarnak

Tabarnak R.I.P.

Hey Mad don't forget to take Religious idols on this map. I made up to +8 fpt when i was under unhappiness a bit earlier. +5 early on is still pretty nice! Thanks for sharing this map :goodjob:

Edit : Well i only saw your start after my playtime. You said no religion but i can tell that with silver mines around you should try the opposite. Maybe another time? :)

Waiting for your next steps.

7. Moriarte

Moriarte Immortal

That must be the worker snatch, made Mayans unhappy.

8. Zet

Zet Warlord

Yes, stealing a worker upsets other civs (sometimes?).

9. Denkt

Denkt Reader

Yes, you get warmonger penanalty even if you dow CS just to steal a worker and then make peace the same turn.

The parteon chose was pretty bad if you could pick religious idols which would help you alot more then monuments to the gods and even stone ciricels would probably be better.

10. Moriarte

Moriarte Immortal

But maybe it is possible to turn Mayans friendly again (in theory) by liberating their worker from barbs or denouncing Atilla or other enemy they have?

11. The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim Deity

Assuming that you (and the rest) haven't actually seen the video, he's trying to make a point and show that you don't have to found a religion and can do without it just fine. Therefore he chose a pantheon with minor effect that won't last for long.

12. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

I would definitely go either Religious idols (all silver on map in one location) or for the Quarry faith (faith boosters are always good if you've got enough tiles).

but yeah, doing this without religion just because. Religion could easily reduce the VC turn time by 20-30, depending on choices.

As well, choosing Monument to the Gods allows me to utilize it very early, and not have an AI choose it as part of a religion. It therefore leaves the other possibly useful (to me) pantheons open for an AI to pick (if they have a similar starting resource spread).

Monument of the Gods is only useful for ancient/classical wonders, which is exactly what I wanted to get (especially doubled up with Aristocracy) - and prevent an AI from wonder spamming even harder.

13. EEE_BOY

EEE_BOY Deity

+2 faith from quarries maybe more sustainable for faith generation. Either will work.

14. The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim Deity

Well, good luck preventing AI's wonder spamming. :crazyeye: Although you did get the Mausoleum and I haven't seen new civs wonder whoring too badly so far. But it probably changes from game to game. Other than that, it's much sneakier plan than I initially realized. :cool: And I think it's great you're not relying on your religion. People seem to be a little obsessed with it, and considering it's hit or miss on deity, an evident proof you can live without would do nothing but good.

Waiting impatiently for more vids. :)

15. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

You had 2 workers at you're capital and you allready had alot of improvements their While you're third city kugzalia need a lot of improvements : the cow, farms, and calender So a extra worker there wouldn't be bad

I see a lot of player's do it I somethings do it olso its usaly better to move a worker to a other city that needs more improvements capital will not be able to work all of the tiles (besides you are going to run scientistst)

SO far good lets play

ANd seriously the AI needs to pick their targets better they shouldn't not only look at military strenght or wonders but the position on the map what benefit has pacal for going to war with boudacia? WHO IS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD They would ols not put their useless time (units) into going to a war wich doesn't help them

And why in gods name is baudacia wants to backstab you you olso are on the other side of the world?

I've never had this on lower dificulties (king emperor ) it seems the AI jsut goes beserk at deity and immortal with wars

16. meteo63

meteo63 Chieftain

I saw that you didn't build the Great Library, presumably because you're playing on Deity and it would be pretty difficult to build it. Plus, you were focusing on food and growth for science, rather than the big production needed to crank our the GL. Still, for a tech game, when would you go for the Great Library and what would you use the free tech if you could? Philosophy? Is it possible to use the free tech for Theology, or is it impossible in Gods and Kings?

17. ense7en

ense7en n7

You can go for GL on Emperor and lower.
    It's not worth the risk on anything higher, and IIRC in the LP, it went right around schedule @ turn 30 or something, which is nearly impossible to get as a human player.

You can best use the free tech on Philosophy/Drama and Poetry or Iron Working unless you are playing on some insanely low difficulty where the AI never builds the GL.

18. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

this. Ofc, for a tech game, the best choice is Philosophy, as you can use the time building the GL to grab other techs (lux/etc) given that the build time of the GL < tech time of Calendar + Philosophy.

19. Syntax Error

Syntax Error Prince

Missed out on the Renaissance/SP timing. So, earlier does not necessarily mean better. You got screwed by a culture goody hut. Can't really believe that happened. If you weren't DOW'ed by Atila you could probably had built a Library at Dur-Kurigalzu. If it would make a difference, I'm not sure, but you were pretty much trying everything you can to get it.

20. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

one turn is one turn, and that can really hurt sometimes.

There were plenty of things I could have done, but didn't, to ensure that timing. Each was a small decision, rather than big ones. Otherwise, it's still 'ok' to get there a bit later, but the speed of the win will be later.