1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

MadDjinn - Deity Babylon Pangea

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by MadDjinn, Jul 13, 2012.

1. meteo63

meteo63 Chieftain

Does the Renaissance/Rationalism as second policy timing work with other civs besides Babylon? I mean, you were off by one turn, but it clearly is easier with Babylon and the free GS. If we were not Babylon, what is necessary for that timing?

Also, speaking of "timing", it would be great to see you do a LP as the Mayans. I wonder what you'd do with the Great People from the Long Count. I think the Mayans are great for a science/religion game, but I really have no idea what we should do with the Long Count, since it increases Great People costs and forces you to get Great People that you don't need for your particular VC, like an Admiral or General.

Thanks for your LPs; they're really great way to improve at Civ V, so I hope you can show us your strategy for the Mayans sometimes.

2. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

With the Mayans, I'd go very wide and go with mass CS allies (if possible)/full Patronage. Since the costs increase as you get 'free' GPs, you can sometimes have a hard time producing a single GP normally (depends on when you hit Theology). So getting 'free' GP from CSs just adds to that. The super wide plan just means mass GP faith purchases in the end game.

As per the timing - yes you can still hit Acoustics with other civs, but obviously Babylon has the advantage there. Try to not go down other tech paths unless you have to, or expand a bit more (a 4th city would have slowed it down enough), etc.

3. The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim Deity

Something I wanted to ask a long time ago. Why don't you ever delete roads to CS after completing their quests?

4. Monthar

Monthar Deity

Thanks for uploading the starting save. I just finished it with a turn 250 science victory. That 4th city did set the timing for the 1st policy after Tradition to the same turn Acoustics was completed.

I ended up taking two policies in Order so I could get a little more boost out of that last RA. All parts were built in the capital, took 3-4 turns each and I only had to wait 3 turns for the last part's tech to finish.

5. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

nice.

I wasn't quite able to get to Planned Economy, so didn't get the boost I needed for the last few RAs/bulbs to hit that early.

6. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

that might be a throw back to vanilla. There was this idea that they wouldn't give new quests if you deleted the roads, so I rarely did. I'm sure that's not the case now, so maybe it was laziness ;)

7. Monthar

Monthar Deity

It'd be interesting to find out if deleting just one of the road tiles got them to give the road quest a 2nd time.

8. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

if it did, then that would get patched out pretty fast.

9. Ljb123

Ljb123 Chieftain

After watching your vids I don't really ever see you going for early wonders or really beelining to any wonders, you mostly just try to pick up wonders that the ai seems to neglect alot of the time. Is this because you think wonders aren't that important, it's detrimental to developing your civ when you beeline or sacrifice growth to get the wonder, early wonders are just too hard to get on deity, or you you just don't go for most just because and you feel like you can do with out. Do you ever go for the gl or Stonehenge on deity or any other early wonder?

10. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

The AI will beat you (in most situations) to every early wonder, so it's not worth trying for - especially the GL. The 'easiest' early wonder to try for is Stonehenge though, but you need the right start to build it fast enough.

11. Ljb123

Ljb123 Chieftain

Ok I was just wondering I am on my way hopefully to a first time win on immortal via domination so I have never even attempted to play deity, but I usually get the gl 3/4 times on immortal, but the fact that I have never won on immortal says something.

12. The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim Deity

Was it? Never heard of it. :crazyeye: Now I feel an urge to double check this. Thank god for my laziness. :D

You don't need wonders to win. Any wonder. At any level. Personally I believe you become a better player if you learn how to play without them. I know I did. You'll be pleasantly surprised to find out how much production and growth freed up by not gunning for wonders. Some of them are quite beneficial, of course, but these are only bonuses that shave off turns from your finish date. Not game breakers. You can cherry pick 2-3 and beeline for them. That's fine. But leave early ones for AI.
    Especially the GL. It's the ultimate trap. First of all, AI will snatch it. Second of all, despite the fact it's a bit better now than in vanilla, you still can't get high valued tech through it. You'd better invest these hammers in settlers and workers instead.

13. meteo63

meteo63 Chieftain

Oh, that's a really interesting strategy. I hope you can show us that sometime, maybe on your next LP or stream. So, what about rationalism? Does that work with the Mayans if you want a science victory with a wide empire, or does the 25% science from CS allies under Patronage work?

14. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

I have to agree dude - Gatlings and Machine guns are awesome. Especially when you are fighting Samurai Riflemen.

15. JRambo

JRambo Chieftain

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Ragusa changed its name to Ragasu!

Full story:

The Adriatic city of Ragusa, also known as Dubrovnik, decided to change its name to Ragasu. A vote was on Sunday, and 62% of citizens voted for the name change. Mayor Andro Vlahušić was asked to comment on that:

"The city of Dubrovnik is a popular tourist destination, and most of the foreigners used to call it by its Italian name Ragusa. As of lately, the tourists started calling it Ragasu. It was even spelled Ragasu in some tourist brochures. We have investigated the problem, and it lead us to a Canadian blogger called MadDjinn. Apparently, MadDjinn seems to call our city Ragasu in his videos, and his videos are so popular that some history book publishers are considering to change the city name to Ragasu. Since tourism is our primary income source, we've decided to change the city name to go along with that trend."

Ragusa, now Ragasu, has a rich history, being founded in 7th century, and has achieved a high level of development during the 15th and 16th centuries. Nowadays it is a prominent Adriatic tourist destination. Here is how a young Ragasu citizen Petar Božović comments on a city name change:

"As an avid Civilization V player, I tend to watch MadDjinn's videos, and I'm really glad we changed our city name. I got a little tired from using both Ragusa and Ragasu names at the same time. I hope some other cities, such as Kayoke, pardon Cahokia, will take notice."

16. _invy_

_invy_ Warlord

I noticed that you in most of your games ignore building Barracks completely or until very late in the game - even when you are fighting AIs. You tend not to build/buy military units until needed, but still..

Any particular reason behind this?

17. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

units cost gold and if you don't actually require them on that turn, then they're just costing you. It is good to add some units to be ready to be attacked, but I tend to try to 'get away with' less units so that I can use the gold on something else (and production time).

18. ense7en

ense7en n7

Haha :lol:

And yay for more Babylon LPs :)

19. meteo63

meteo63 Chieftain

Now that your Babylon LP is nearly done, what's your plan for your next game? I'm hoping that you do the Mayans, actually, if only to see what you choose for the free Great People, but it would also be cool to see you try a cultural victory too.

20. _invy_

_invy_ Warlord

I'd like to see some kind of Mongol rampage :), which includes fighting, bullying, annexing (or puppeting) of city states to put in use Mongol UA. Maybe on a map with lots of mountains, hills, preferably not continents map.
    Would be nice change from Babylon game.