1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

MadDjinn - Deity Carthage Large Islands

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by MadDjinn, Jun 23, 2012.

1. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

[G&K v.674 PC]
    Mods - Pastafarianism
    DLC - all
    Settings - Deity - Standard map size/speed - Large Islands map

Here we go with the first LP of the GaK xpac for Civilization V.

The settings were mostly derived from the suggestions on my blog.

We're Dido on a Large Islands map with 7 enemies that know what they are doing on the water: Byzantium, Netherlands, Korea, Denmark, Polynesia, England and the Ottomans.

It's unfortunately not a 'great' showing for the AI, but it does show a lot of the new features and the new map.

Link to video.

Attached Files:

2. The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim Deity

:banana::banana::banana::banana:
    Sorry, but it took you too long. People started to lose hope... :mischief:

3. S.K. Ren

S.K. Ren Prince

That was an amazing call moving your settler 1 space west. It got you 2 more sea resources for your already healthy looking capital. I would have gone for God of the Sea for your pantheon though (or was it taken? I may have missed that.)

4. tithin

tithin Merely Marauding.

Was already taken.

5. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

I primarily did it for that other potential city, but yeah, it worked out great.

6. Cytokinesis

Cytokinesis Chieftain

Yay! Upload more asap please :)

7. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

Don't know why you did go philosophy before mining and masonry you are going to settle you're third citie and it has to build a library from scratsh So why go national college?

8. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

I could have done that, but I somewhat hate delaying the NC by even more time to go get Masonry for 1 lux.

As well, there was no real way for me to buy the library before the NC was ready to go and building it from scratch isn't really a good option at that point.

Wasn't the best planning, but it still worked eventually.

9. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

My experience its a myth that you need the national college verry early to survive at higher difficulties(i play immortal) I usaly build 4 cities and build the national college if you have more cities you have more beakers especial if they all have a library after a few turns.. However you do eventualy need it and you can't delay it for to long if you are entering the medieval you should allready have it or building it

But every one has its other playstile still thinx its kinda of a myth or build order :p

10. mike678

mike678 Warlord

The step up in difficulty from emperor to immortal is quite a lot as I'm sure you know. It's that same huge step when you go to deity so you cant really compare options that are available for immortal.

11. The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim Deity

Increasing cost does hurt a little when capital is so small. Other than that, I agree it's a matter of personal play style. 4 cities NC start proved itself as perfectly viable on deity. Often, not always, more cities means more luxes. Thus you actually can buy a library in the slowest one. And even if you don't, I had games when NC was built deep into medieval (not intentionally, had to survive first :rolleyes:) and somehow still managed to catch up. Without abusing RA's. On deity that happened later than on immortal, but still happened.
    The main reason I usually want to get it asap is that I can remove it from 'to do' list and move on to real stuff.

12. Zet

Zet Warlord

Some things you could have done better in my opinion:

Early on, Pagodas to help with happiness issues are better than +2 happiness from temples because it takes a while to get 5 followers in a city. I would do Pagodas first then improve the temples when religion is enhanced.

Stronger missionaries as enhancer belief is basically worthless. Messiah is a much better choice, great prophets are far superior to missionaries/inquisitors for anything.

13. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

Pagodas cost more faith, so it leaves you with a choice of spreading the religion or not spreading it and having the Pagodas. I went with spreading it (founder belief) and took the temple bonus because I knew I could maintain the happiness and I could build them all at the same time to get the bonus sooner (1 Pagoda = 1 Missionary). Not to mention 'natural spread' was pretty slim given that this was an islands map.

I leave Messiah for games where I want more Holy Sites. Give or take the era, it's not a great plan for converting civs that don't have a religion in the first place (my targets). Higher strength missionaries ensure more followers are converted/shot == more tithing.

It's all a matter of preference, but this one was mine.

14. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

You could spread pasta to vatican city and then use the gold from selling the marble to get ally

or spread it to korea doesn't it cost 200 for a missionary?

15. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

Given that the Vatican was surrounded by my cities, the only reason to use a missionary there would be to do it 'fast'. It's valid choice, but my preference was to let the cities around it pressure it into the pasta maker. :mischief:

As pe missionaries:

200 faith in Medieval and then it goes up by era.

16. Andulias

Andulias A Stranger on a Train

MadDjinn and Quill18. Those were the two G+K LPs I wanted asap. Thanks a lot, mate :)

17. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

All Right! I have dowloaded all three parts with my handy dandy youtube downloader. BTW Carthage is an excellent choice.

Welcome to Sea Gull Island!

I watched the second part. MadDjinn you probably should consider taking out Korea. They have two dyes and wine, well, that I saw. The island is not nearly as bad as the one you spawned on.

18. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I indeed stared at that Marble for the 5-10 minutes it took you to improve it, wondering why you weren't. :p

19. RedRover57

RedRover57 Emperor

I've been really looking forward to a new MadDjinn Let's Play! I have to say though that I found Carthage to be so overpowered on an archipelago map and Emperor difficulty that I have no doubt that MD will cruise thorugh this LP on Deity even with that bad map (capital will be decent but surrounding land is crap).

Beeline Navigation, build a massive navy of +1 range-promoted Frigates (upgraded from Gallaeas) and Privateers, and proceed to destroy everything in your wake.

20. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

That is a good idea. Then if you conquer Korea at some point, things go easier when you conquer cities that are following your religion.