[VidLP] MadDjinn's Deity LP - England Victoria

MadDjinn

Deity
PC build: 1.0.0.129 [no mods]
Game seed: -9728815
Map seed: -9728814

It's time to be semi historical and build the empire around the world!

Playing as Victoria/England on an islands map.
I seeded in as opponents: Germany, Brazil, Norway, Japan, Australia, Spain. The last AI spot is random.
All other settings random/standard/default.

Find the whole playlist here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIn-J5vZXOJNu4tHZbQg817oiYb9BjuWn

Hi Maddjinn:

General:
Do you think England is top tier now because of the trade routes?
Is Great Zimbabwe part of your strategy?
Do you think it's the best civ for a tourism victory?

Vid 1:
Why didn't you settle NE of the stones (on coast, between two mountains)? It would only have delayed settling 1 turn.
Why didn't you heal up your warrior (instead of being vulnerable to getting killed, like it did)?

Just trying to learn, thanks,
MIS

No, England has functional issues that prevent it from being top tier. Sure, the extra trade routes help roll into decent money and then allows for the museums to shine into a culture vc, but both unique units have problems not of their making.

The red coat can't be upgraded into, so it limits use. In vanilla you can just ignore it and go right into infantry instead.

The sea dog has the problem that the naval production policy for it comes after the ship is available. Also, it's a late Renaissance boat which is equal in stats to the early Renaissance caravel and frigate, but those both can be upgraded into instead of built from scratch.

Wrt the warrior, that's just me not playing it safe with it.

The great Zimbabwe would be very nice for a mass trade route plan, but you need that cow near the river for it to work. It's not needed, but helps a lot.

Tourism vc - artifacts and sea resorts/etc is the common way to go, so packing in more per city is nice, but it's not that much different from some of the other bonuses that other civs get. Ofc with redcoats and a fleet you could go 'borrow' all of the writing and art made by others to speed it up as well.

For settling location - moving up to the coastal mountains would have added more water and less land. Despite the new benefits to coastal hexes, it's not worth giving up land for a coastal city.

I have no problem with England not being top tier but the most powerful part of England in my view is Pax Brittanica. Combine this with redcoats early enough and it's scary. Even early Pax can shine.
Agreed seadogs are generally useless but mainly because you do not need them.
The redcoat is a very strong unit, it comes at a time of armies and once you have a few cities taken you have quite a wave of infantry.

You didn't settle in the south next to the two mountains (and river between), because it's too close to Brussel.
But it's a different landmass, so the three-hex rule doesn't apply, does it? (I'm not sure if this is also the case in Civ 6 as it is in Civ 5)

It's interesting seeing England played on islands, thanks for these Mad Djinn. I only played island once, normally continents. It reinforces to me the fact that England is pretty similar to other players for Naval apart from the useful +1 movement which I guess is more value for MP.
I played a continents game last night where I built no navy, took some cities early (including 5 free swordsmen from Pax Brittanica) then settled down... when I got redcoats I built 2 tundra cities to get rid of the -18 off Brazil and Russia for taking cities (which gave me 2 free redcoats) then proceeded to attack again and within about 20 turns I had 2 armies of redcoats and a corps, just frightening... and I never built a single redcoat. Redcoats mix well with Pax Brittanica and IMO makes them one of the most powerful UU, especially when you use them and realise how strong they are.

Just because dockyards are strong, does not mean you have to have a Navy

Last edited:
I have no problem with England not being top tier but the most powerful part of England in my view is Pax Brittanica. Combine this with redcoats early enough and it's scary. Even early Pax can shine.
Agreed seadogs are generally useless but mainly because you do not need them.
The redcoat is a very strong unit, it comes at a time of armies and once you have a few cities taken you have quite a wave of infantry.

yeah, my problem with England isn't the English bonuses, but the underlying design that undercuts their units.

no upgrade into redcoats: bad, just like every other UU that isn't a direct replacement. But the Red Coats themselves are good, especially due to Englands ability to get them for free.

Sea Dog: If the Industrial Era policy card for naval unit production was moved to the early renaissance (to be available when renaissance boats come online; just like with the ancient-classical boat policy card) *and* the Sea Dog was given slightly better stats (late renaissance boat) by 5ish points on each, then it'd be worth hammering them out.

if those two design issues were fixed, then England would get bumped up the tier list a little.

You didn't settle in the south next to the two mountains (and river between), because it's too close to Brussel.
But it's a different landmass, so the three-hex rule doesn't apply, does it? (I'm not sure if this is also the case in Civ 6 as it is in Civ 5)

I could have, but then my cities in that space would not have much in the way of hexes to use, the layout I ended up with still uses most of the area without packing in too close. I still prefer some space between cities to maximize tile coverage, vs just packing cities in.

I agree to a certain degree on the seadogs but I rarely build a redcoat and end up with lots in no time and they can hold off mechanised infantry to a degree off continent.

The seadog as a single armada not upgraded to subs can capture missilery cruisers especially when you can get a flanking bonus of +10 relatively easily. The main problem with captured ships is they need repair and if you do not have the technology it's a bit meh.

I noticed when you attack ships you move them in and shoot... if you move them in and only shot once all moving is done you get better flanking bonuses

These can really add up if you have the +1 movement point to flank more units. The +1 sight helps later for battleship range spotting units, especially inland, also spotting the odd sub. I tend to just have 1 unless I have lots of caravels

Also you should be able to upgrade to frigates in an allies waters (Carthage)

Loving watching these, they are great. Tx!

Last edited:
I noticed when you attack ships you move them in and shoot... if you move them in and only shot once all moving is done you get better flanking bonuses

These can really add up if you have the +1 movement point to flank more units. The +1 sight helps later for battleship range spotting units, especially inland, also spotting the odd sub. I tend to just have 1 unless I have lots of caravels

Also you should be able to upgrade to frigates in an allies waters (Carthage)

Loving watching these, they are great. Tx!

yeah, I think I overcompensate in believing the AI will put up a naval fight, so aim away from the scouting promotions. And yup, I should be mass flanking before attacking.

Nah, you not not need a zillion ships, there is no need. I personally find 5 shooters and 2 protectors plus an armada of non upgraded sea dogs is enough for any situation you will currently find at sea. The RNDY and great lighthouse give +2 movement to get anywhere fast. You do need an army and spare gold aplenty for other reasons.
To me a Venetian Arsenal is just overkill, it ends up with ships parked everywhere, you own without it. The seadogs will get enough to make the armadas.

The mausoleum is much more OP.

MD, I was wondering why you don't run the +2 builder uses policy.

Hi MadDjinn, when do you decide which victory type you are going for? It would help me understand what you were doing. Or is your goal to beat the AI at everything?

Thanks,
M

Hi MadDjinn, when do you decide which victory type you are going for? It would help me understand what you were doing. Or is your goal to beat the AI at everything?

Thanks,
M

I haven't really decided yet. Partly these new wars are to trim up the AIs advantages, partly to play yoink of their stuff.

I have in later episodes started thinking about going culture via art pillage. Seems sort of historical :D

So is your goal to: a) maximize your chance of winning b) win as quickly/ efficiently as possible (with a given victory condition) or c) show off how to use as much of the game as possible?

Top Bottom