1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

MadDjinn's Deity LP - Rome

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by MadDjinn, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Schalke 04

Schalke 04 Knappe

finally some whacking action against Egypt! :goodjob:

Maybe I'm wrong, but it looks to me, that you are making a slightly slower progress in warmongering, than you did in your previous vids.

What do you think the reason could be for this?
    - Changes with the patch?
    - ICS-style?
    - another reason (oil... :D , runaway Egypt, etc)?
    - or I'm totally wrong with my feeling

Ah, and on a sidenote, which doesn't have to bother you: I find your 30-minute wake call very annoying :D

2. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

lol, I do to, but that's the best one on my iphone :mischief:

as per progress, I started with a basic war, then went expansion. So due to not sticking to a smaller core empire and making puppets/annexing, I had a lot less time to make units to go push into the AIs earlier. Had I ignored the expansion, with the exception of a few key cities, I would have had a lot more units and could have pushed through the Siamese and Askia a lot earlier.

I don't think the Egyptians tech progress really affected the game. They weren't really 'runaway', except on techs. Even then, a few of the other AIs ended up warring with them, which slowed their RA progress. (at 100% median beakers)

The lack of Oil kinda broke my plan of upgrading all of those Cav to Tanks. Otherwise, the artillery slow march still works just fine. Though, breaking into Gao was hard due to it's location. Askia had 2-3 tiles of bald hills to shoot from, so I'd have to 'take' the first two sets of hills under fire before my cannons (at the time) could be used. Much harder than it sounds.

Also having a lot of the CSs in the way + mountains made for less early wars. (that mattered) And well, I wasn't keeping as many infantry units alive as I should have.

3. Randall Turner

Randall Turner King

Late comment. Just got back from a long road trip.

This is the replay I was looking for - a "real" Deity win. Thanks, MadDjinn, I was getting depressed that it wouldn't be possible. Blew that theory!

One thing that leaps out is that being hung up on science-type development vs. REX is counterproductive. You wasted basically no time trying for science-specific infrastructure, I have to get away from it (trying for early science wonders, limiting growth early for NC, etc.) Not sure if that's a universal axiom, but a pretty strong data point here.

I don't think you should take time off for irrelevant real life stuff when a patch comes out, dude. :)

ps - still having the problem of not being able to click & scroll around on your replays, btw.

4. Furycrab

Furycrab King

Just caught up, btw, I really like getting Repair first with my air units as a first promotion (after the first 2), since air striking even weak units (like artillery) will deal 1 damage to your air units, it lets me use my air units with almost complete impunity and makes the next promotion that much quicker to get. It feels almost like Logistics for a while since even if you strike say 3 turns in a row, you'll have to wait just as long for the unit to fully repair.

5. Vo01985

Vo01985 Warlord

Combine that with a heal unit next to the city the planes are located in and your planes will heal double as much, they can pretty much keep going nonstop.

6. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

I am montezuma and i give you all my gold for a lot of gold per turn and then declare war on you :rolleyes:

free money

Montezuma is a real friend :goodjob:

7. Furycrab

Furycrab King

I think what ends up happening in a lot of games is that AI get caught up a lot in these "I'll DoW him in 10 turns" and shouldn't be negotiating/accepting deals with you if it doesn't plan on being nice with you for long. Well that... and it values terribly the value of GPT and resources vs straight up gold...

Wouldn't surprised me if the Incans or Siam asked Monty to DOW him for the equivalent of a bag of chips and a donut seeing he was willing to DOW egypt for 100g.

8. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

yes, rather brilliant of the AI with that one... Of course I was planning on fulfilling my end of the bargain, but he got greedy. Or not, given that he gave up a lot of gold.

yeah, value for DoWs seems to have gone way down lately. It's really cheap (gold cost) to get an AI to DoW, when they're in that mood.

9. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

I'm up to #4 and I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoyed this. Your thought process is similar to mine but you process things much more quickly. Keep up the great work!

10. peddroelm

peddroelm King

Hi

Just found out about your Deity LP Rome and I'm very excited to find out how good players go about using Romans on deity difficulty.

Here is my theory about playing the Romans

"This is how I view the romans.

Remember that the +25% production bonus is received by all cities BUT the capital, and that it only works for buildings already up in the capital.

To best (ab)use this bonus [DEPLOY THE LATEST RESEARCHED BUILDINGS IN A FEW TURNS AFTER UNLOCKING THEM EMPIRE WIDE] [think +11 universities in under 6 turns from researching them [beware of maintenance spikes]; think +11 banks[will not add much on a mostly production based empire but it will still be significant] within 10 turns after researching them; +11 walls in 1 turn and +11 castles 2 turns latter +11 Arsenals 4 turns after that [+33 happiness in 7 turns] - PROFESSIONAL ARMY(HONOR)] you need to :

a. Have many production cities - [most of them] - look for hills and forests before settling. Improve the production tiles. Build the production relevant buildings on most cities[will add maintenance costs ...] ...[unless the 25% percentage bonus applies to a big production base it will not add much to be significant]

b. No matter how much you pimp Rome's productivity :
    -you either start production of the new critical buildings on the same time empire wide and chances are some will built it ahead of Rome [better position, railroad bonus,..] and the others will just use the bonus for a few meager turns. wasted bonus.
    -you delay starting the production of the critical building on the empire until Rome finishes it. Now you are using the 25% production bonus BUT you delayed the deployment of the critical building empire wide for a significant period of time.
    -you purchase the newly developed critical building on the turn its unlocked in Rome so the rest of the empire can start deployment using the full power of the 25% bonus from the same turn.

c. You will run into maintenance problems having all those production buildings. Dropping advanced buildings *X number of cities empire wide will generate serious maintenance spikes. You will need a few gold focused cities to keep up with the maintenance problems. Rome with some luck can be turned into a gold focused city to take advantage of unlocking commerce.

+
    The high production capabilities can/should generate solid military.
    Production focus should generate a few Great Engineers to net you a few world wonders.
    -
    Culture will suffer - you might not afford the maintenance for the advanced culture buildings.
    Budget and number of policies available will suffer - you will not be able to maintain many CS allies..

Favors domination victory. Science victory also possible because of the quick deployment of the science buildings and many production powerhouses to build the spaceship parts.

About the Legion - the ability to build roads might come handy.
    -freeing the workers to improve productivity tiles
    -building roads will remove the movement penalty for rough terrain [forest,hill] for your land armies[mobility around the battlefield is a great tactical advantage] while preserving the combat bonuses[again without having to displace a worker to do it].

Same for the build fort ability - build forts on borders[useless desert tiles] during peace time - workers will replace them latter if the land is valuable .
    ."

First 3 minutes of the first video first contradiction :) -> to me it seems better to focus Rome on gold if the terrain is suitable ...Having a lot of cities with a lot of base production - this part we agree on :).

11. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

I'm up to part 13 and it has felt like I'm playing the game myself (which was one of the points, since I'm not playing civ now). Ever since part 5 I thought how are you going after the Egyptians, seeing that there were 2 eras ahead. Now you are ready to start the war and I still have that same question (esp. seeing your tough time against Gao). I'm hoping that they will be too scattered, distracted and fight piecemeal. This had been one of my prime motivations to follow along, despite getting through the cycling of workers nearly every turn. :)

12. weakciv

weakciv Prince

If I remember correctly (it could have changed within the last 2 patches), while you are razzing a city you could still sell one of its buildings each turn. I know it's not much but when you are pumping that many units/CS every gold counts.

13. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

One of the things that attracted me to this particular game was the approach to ICS. That is the opposite of how I would like to play but I wanted to see what an ICS game looked like. Turns out, not much different actually. Just more things to do each turn.

14. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

yeah... and I eventually got bored of settle->trade route + 2 culture buildings->wait on happiness->settle [...] forever.

In theory, I could have kept it up until the time limit, but that gets really boring.

effectively, you're going for more pure gold/hammers/etc rather than working with the multipliers.

on a totally unrelated note:

I'm trying to get the 25th video up, but Youtube/my connection isn't helping. It is the last one, but since it's 45 min long, there's some weird issue going on with the uploads. I've gotten it to 100% (or so it says) on both upload and processing, but then 10 min later its not up and drops to 'failed upload' status. :wallbash:

15. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

I'm sorry, when you got Heliopolis, there was video proof they fixed something. What was it?

16. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

I think that was the Tomb Raider achievement working again.

17. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

That was it. I don't play with Steam on so I didn't notice the popup in the lower left.

18. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

Finished. Four things that I learned:

1. Be patient when warring - don't feel you have to destroy everything as quickly as possible (which means to drastically reduce the use of insta-heal and to cycle units to the front/rear)
    2. Have a line of super-promoted Artillery, they can pick off anything that moves in close
    3. Always have your front still in your (expanding) territory except when going in for the kill
    4. Use as many City-States as cannon fodder to help distract a large enemy (or enemies)

This was how I expected a pangaea game to go (quite reminiscence of Civ4 games). Not my favorite, nor is ICS but this was so addicting. Now I'm going to find a LP more closer to my style (tall, smaller/snaky landmasses). Very nice work, thanks for taking the time to put this together.

19. Misterboy

Misterboy Modern Major General

@MadDjinn

Just finished watching your LP. Wanted to say thanks for all the recording and uploading. It's got to be a royal pain in the arse for you. It's very much appreciated and your LP's are always a huge pleasure to watch and learn from.

Keep up the good work, and thanks again!

20. black213

black213 Emperor

Mad, will you ever make a peaceful Deity LP (post-patch)? I'm more of a builder myself.