1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

MadDjinn's Deity LP - Rome

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by MadDjinn, Jul 8, 2011.

1. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

yes, of course.

I try to mix it up so that it's not all warmongering.

Given the changes, I'm definitely going to focus on an RA/GS strategy soon while trying to play 'nice' with the neighbours. :mischief:

2. CivBattle

CivBattle Chieftain

That statement gives me the "shivers" and makes me start thinking about your Siam LP where you nearly lost your spaceship to a nuke. Being to "friendly" to Civ5 AI is just asking for trouble. Would be fun to watch. Maybe we'll see that 100 unite army?

Thanks for the Roman LP

3. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

Rome was primarily a peaceful builder game up until modern, so why would you want more than that? He could've easily gotten UN and won that way but it was great to see how one effectively fight with modern units against modern units. All "peaceful" games are just as tedious as all-out war games and Civ has always been designed to provide a healthy mix of both. Please keep it that way.

4. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

Well, I did say RA/GS focused, not necessarily 'VC -> here'

you'll have to see how it works out VC wise though ;)

5. DuBstepHERO

DuBstepHERO Chieftain

Thanks for posting these :) I came back to Civ 5 recently (last played in October), and was cruising around on Prince. After watching this I wiped out a pangea-worth of AI on Emperor without breaking a sweat!

Looking forward to more.

6. Karpyan

Karpyan Chieftain

I was interested to see that MadDjinn used exclusively fighters, then atomic bombs for the Rome domination instead of using bombers. I tend to have a couple of fighters for interception/air sweep, and then a ton of bombers for taking out the cities and units. I couldn't work out why (other than maybe the way the tech tree pans out) and not much else on the forums on air combat that seems to help. How do you guys handle the air combat aspect?

7. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

well, I mostly used artillery, then Abombs, with a few fighters. The fighters were meant for sweeps/interceptions, but the AI never bothered to play.

8. Karpyan

Karpyan Chieftain

I guess by then the artillery had so much XP, it was doing equivalent damage to a bomber anyway; and you hadn't lost artillery with the same level of skill as I seem to do...

9. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

bombers are a really good plan as well. Especially given the new patch change where air units can get XP from barracks/etc.

10. Karpyan

Karpyan Chieftain

Yes, barracks + armory = siege x 2 and four or five of those with some fighters to lock out the anti-air units and it's usually game over for the AI quickly. I like the artillery approach, tried it tonight on emp and if you get the 2x attack p/t they are deadly.

11. black213

black213 Emperor

I wouldn't call a Domination victory a peaceful game :lol:

12. Randall Turner

Randall Turner King

Yeah, I was thinking that he was a lot more aggressive than I normally play. He only stopped actively anticipating wars after he'd fought a handful and set up a good sized infrastructure base. (Don't remember the early uploads that clearly, iirc many of them were AI initiated.) The lesson I took from it was that I might want to be more aggressive early.

13. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

The Dom VC was just how I decided to finish it. I could have had any VC type by that point, but I hadn't shown a modern war in a long while, so why not.

Most of the game was 'peaceful' insofar as I had the space to expand and grow. Though that was the middle part.

I could have been more aggressive up front, but I didn't want to expand that way in this series. Normally I would have ensured more legions and ballistas before going for another war.