MadDjinn's Deity LP - Spain

MadDjinn

Deity
patch .383, PC, no mods

Ok so here we go with Spain.

You won't see the Super Skilldorado (1000g for Spain) or the Epic Fountain of Youth (20 happiness), nor will you find a 'zero' natural wonder start. While it's obvious that 'too much' is very easy, not finding a single natural wonder doesn't really show anything either.

So we're off to a Continents map on the usual settings (standard speed/map size, quick combat).

Enjoy.

Link to video.

Exactly infinite awesome points for
Spoiler :
not only repelling but taking a city from the Romans.

Gonna start me a Spain game right now. Thanks.

Nice :) Love the strategy! Havent gotten around to getting the Spain civ, but if conquistadors rock the boat I'll definitly buy it and have a go myself :)

Nice :) Love the strategy! Havent gotten around to getting the Spain civ, but if conquistadors rock the boat I'll definitly buy it and have a go myself :)

Conquistadors are better than Songhai's Mande Cav.

They have the same 'no penalty vs. cities' and embarked defense, but then go on to have +2 sight range and the ability to plant new cities (on other continents... kinda useless outside of the scenario, really).

So yeah, they're kinda powerful.

You're awesome MadDjinn. Love your games and have learned a lot from them (I've managed to get Sciency Victory with Babylon, on Deity, but I guess that's the easy stuff).

About the current LP series - I'm really looking forward to see how you will manage with Napoleon monster, especially as your game style with Spain is more natural to me, then previous ones.

Good job and good luck :)

And hello to everyone :)

You're awesome MadDjinn. Love your games and have learned a lot from them (I've managed to get Sciency Victory with Babylon, on Deity, but I guess that's the easy stuff).

About the current LP series - I'm really looking forward to see how you will manage with Napoleon monster, especially as your game style with Spain is more natural to me, then previous ones.

Good job and good luck :)

And hello to everyone :)

My primary concern with Napoleon was the Great Wall, but Knight type units are good against that due to still being able to move 2 tiles/turn.

Once I owned his capital, and got the Great Wall, I just needed to catch up in military techs and push again. So I took his advantage, then used it against him.

Just wanted to mention that its great that you announce on your twitterfeed when you upload something new. Appreciate it! :)

Just wanted to mention that its great that you announce on your twitterfeed when you upload something new. Appreciate it! :)

that's one of the new additions to YouTube (or at least I noticed it after the change). Unfortunately the Facebook integration doesn't post to my public page, like Wordpress does (or more specifically, I get a choice on wordpress, re: where to post it on Facebook).

Really great lp's defintly helped me alot, dont ever play anything but pang, so it will be interesting to see you take your entire army after monty/alex after france and seeing as you have no navy yet be nice to see how you handle that.

Oh also post #12 :)

Really great lp's defintly helped me alot, dont ever play anything but pang, so it will be interesting to see you take your entire army after monty/alex after france and seeing as you have no navy yet be nice to see how you handle that.

Oh also post #12 :)

yeah, I was really behind on the navy, which can really slow things down later on.

I confess I find your LPs interesting - but replicating their success is incredibly difficult as I never have any luck balancing production with growth with a military. I've always played a strong mix of culture/ science early game and heavy military production in the late game.

Any advice? Do you believe in low growth cities for most of the early game? Do you believe aiming for world wonders is a viable focus for early game on deity, or do you feel that wonders are a waste of hammers better served by focusing on a military?

I confess I find your LPs interesting - but replicating their success is incredibly difficult as I never have any luck balancing production with growth with a military. I've always played a strong mix of culture/ science early game and heavy military production in the late game.

Any advice? Do you believe in low growth cities for most of the early game? Do you believe aiming for world wonders is a viable focus for early game on deity, or do you feel that wonders are a waste of hammers better served by focusing on a military?

wonders take up a lot of production time (i not using a GE), so they tend not to be as spammable as on lower levels.

You could put that time into military, or other buildings. Either way, the AI usually will build most of the wonders long before you could try to get them anyways (except a few early wonders and a few late ones if you're teching fast enough).

Don't bother with heavy culture unless you've got spare turns to build things. Only in a culture game will you need to actually produce much of it.

As per city pop sizes, it just depends on how much happiness you have available vs. the space you need (for lux/strat resources/etc). You will need a few cities ~8-10 pop to be able to start producing GSs and keep them semi-productive. Once theatres and/or some happiness related SPs are available, you can continue growing your cities.

I've enjoyed this series a lot. I really like Spain - they are a fun civ that encourages some adventurous strategies (exploring more, trying to conquer City States with Natural Wonders, building cities in far off places near Natural wonders, etc.) and unpredictable results. In contrast, I play Babylon in a much more cookie-cutter way, which has gotten a little stale.

Thanks for doing this LP, been really fun to watch. Have to cringe at the Napoleon A.I though being at war with Korea, China and you all at the same time. You just know he's battering away at their last few cities while he's losing his core cities to you. The A.I might be more of a challenge if it could choose one war and stick to it.

Also is there any reason why Alex hates you in this game? Or is it just he was randonly predisposed to be hostile.

Thanks for doing this LP, been really fun to watch. Have to cringe at the Napoleon A.I though being at war with Korea, China and you all at the same time. You just know he's battering away at their last few cities while he's losing his core cities to you. The A.I might be more of a challenge if it could choose one war and stick to it.

Also is there any reason why Alex hates you in this game? Or is it just he was randonly predisposed to be hostile.

Yeah, I would have liked Napolean to make peace treaties with China/Korea (after he took their caps) and brought everything back to fight me. It only makes sense.

As per the Greeks, we were fighting over CS allies (along with the Persians and Monte), plus I built wonders he wanted, and so forth. So he disliked me doing what he wanted to do.

Conquistadors are better than Songhai's Mande Cav.

They have the same 'no penalty vs. cities' and embarked defense, but then go on to have +2 sight range and the ability to plant new cities (on other continents... kinda useless outside of the scenario, really).

So yeah, they're kinda powerful.

But they can't move after attacking.
That seems to be the only possible argument that they would be not as good as Mandu Cavs.
I do agree that conquistadors are better.

Top Bottom