1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Made a new civ (CivVI - ModBuddy), no settler showing up on game start

Discussion in 'Mod Creation Help' started by Ben Ferraro, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Ben Ferraro

Ben Ferraro Chieftain

So I've made a new civ in ModBuddy using the given template, I've done the civ traits, the leader ability, unique unit/unique building. I've done EVERYTHING. No matter what I do, I cannot get the settler and warrior to show up when I begin the game. I've tried looking through the data files for the in game civilizations and there is no decipherable clues. Is there an additional line of code I need to add? Is there a value I need to change?

PLEASE HELP I HAVE A WIFE AND KIDS! (not really tho)

p.s this is my first ever mod

2. criZp

criZp Chieftain

Start units are defined here (pic). Do you just start the game with no unit whatsoever?

pic5.jpg

3. Imnimo

Imnimo Chieftain

I've had this problem to - the game just puts in you in a sort of observer mode, and you have no units. I ran into the problem after following the tutorial here:

I was able to fix the problem by following the updated tutorial here:

In particular, the section at 6:00 or so in the updated tutorial where he edits the properties of the mod and removes some of the FrontEnd/In-Game actions seemed to resolve it for me. Unfortunately, the video doesn't explain why he does any of the things he does, and I'm also brand new, so I can't offer any further insight on why exactly these steps were helpful. But maybe they'll be enough to resolve your issue like they did for me!

4. Ben Ferraro

Ben Ferraro Chieftain

Correct, I started the game with not a single unit, and in observer mode. The game crashed after about 5 minutes of me watching the AIs play it out (which was surprisingly interesting). I'm using the modbuddy new civ template, but don't know where to put in the line of code for the new units.