MAF-ing out, or other C2D issue

vasi

Chieftain
Hey all,

I know this may have been discussed to death, but I'm wondering if I'm having a specific problem since I'm still having MAF errors even with graphics paging.

SVN version 7854
Win XP (32)
Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz, 12MB L2 cache)
4GB physical (3GB useable)
3GB allocation allowed
8GB page file
Nvidia GTX 650

I can load a tiny map and crash after a turn, but anything larger crashes during load. I remember reading somewhere to set memory usage to system cache, but it made no difference.

I tried deleting the BTS cache in My Documents. I tried scrubbing Civ4 from my system, doing a fresh install, manually patching BTS to 3.19, and redownloading C2C, and it makes no difference.

I tried logging, but I can't seem to generate a file. I'm wondering if it's because I can't get a single turn in?

Thoughts? This isn't an anemic rig, so I feel like I'm missing or forgetting something.

If you're using a 32 bit XP system you need to use the 3GB Switch (search for the thread on this and it should reveal itself quickly on this forum.)

If you're using a 32 bit XP system you need to use the 3GB Switch (search for the thread on this and it should reveal itself quickly on this forum.)

Sorry, I forgot the right term but that's what I meant by 3GB allocation allowed. I've done that already.

Best thing to do is download the NEW version v35 and go from there. . . . games are still compatible.

This didn't work. I sat on it for a bit and came back to it yesterday.

Updated to 8124, set up a 2nd display and looked at system usage. I tried loading a large map. The video card wasn't being stressed at all which makes sense. The CPU it was using was maxed, which makes sense. RAM jumped up to ~500MB, and slowly climbed until the game CTD around 512MB. I have 3GB RAM and 8GB page file, and around 700MB being used by the background system, so it's not an out-of-memory issue.

Next steps?

1) once I've made my next commit, update again.

2) if and when it crashes, send me the save game if you have been able to generate one when you started the first turn assuming you could get that far, and/or the minidump file. This may give some insight... maybe.

Best thing to do is download the NEW version v35 and go from there. . . . games are still compatible.

How do you install .35? I'm trying to go from .33, which works fine, to .35 but I can't figure out the install order or how to do it

Delete the old file and replace it with the new one via 7zip extraction.

Top Bottom