1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mafia Game: The Lord of the Rings (Game Thread)

Discussion in 'Mafia/NOTW' started by Camikaze, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

Well this was a pleasant night outcome to wake up to. :)

I do agree with Earthling that we can't yet say for sure who is who in Isengard. But I'd say that the most logical conclusion to be drawn is that Autolycus was Ugluk, and we killed him. And if that is the case then I'm guessing that Saruman will tonight gain the ability to kill on his own someway.

Not sure who to vote for right now. I'll need to think it through.

2. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

When someone is completely unreliable, it doesn't matter whether they are speaking the truth or not. Cassandra syndrome :)

3. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

May I quote that?

4. Arakhor

I think you just did :)

5. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

I meant in my signature.

6. Winston Hughes

Winston Hughes Wrathful Warlock Retired Moderator

I must say well done to Earthling for keeping up the act, even now that the wheels have come off.

7. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

For now, the tally is
    Earthling (TheLastOne36, Takhisis, Winston Hughes)
    Takhisis (Earthling)
    Beefy187 (Beefy187)
    Not voting: Lord OST, Renata, Snerk, CCRunner v2.0, classical_hero, DrumStudent.​
    My dear Earthling, you're toast.

8. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

I dunno, I just can't seem to picture Earthling as mafia. Would he go to those ridiculous lengths to save (presumably) scummy Autolycus, who've probably just would've been lynched today if not yesterday? I'm not saying he's definitely innocent, I'm just saying that right now I want to even it out a little. So, Takhisis then.

Besides, you scotsmen are a shifty lot anyway. :mischief:

9. Winston Hughes

Winston Hughes Wrathful Warlock Retired Moderator

@ Snerk

Sure, it's possible to construct scenarios in which Earthling's behaviour is the product of foolishness rather than guilt.

But why take those in preference to the much simpler and more plausible explanation that the guy who's spent the whole game acting scummy as hell is, in fact, a scummer?

Having seen how well he played in TFA's NotW game, and looking at some of the clever little manipulations and misdirections he's used in this one, I'd say he's far smarter than people have been giving him credit for. Indeed, it seems to me that that's been his plan all along.

10. Renata

Renata homicidal jungle cat GOTM Staff

Post 2122, from day nine.

vote: Earthling

11. Earthling

Earthling Chieftain

Wow, Renata, I’d really like to say I’m sorry you’ve wasted your time so much. Reading through the thread for non-clues, apparently you made some massive vote-spreadsheet that’s worthless and all. Nothing against you, I just know you’ll be majorly disappointed what a waste of time it all was. :(

Anyway, I do like the idea of starting with the premise that “Earthling is smart.” I can work with that. Obviously the problem now is you all have an additional premise “Earthling is Mafia” which leads to the conclusion that “I’ve played smart tricks on you.” When I die you’ll find out this is false, you must be crediting me with some superhuman omniscience if I’ve really been Mafia and able to fool you all this time, but when the notion that I'm Mafia is proven wrong it seems like that could lead to progress.

So when we have both “Earthling is smart” and “Earthling was Innocent” then perhaps you guys will see that I’ve been trying to help the Innocents as much as possible and piece together what I can. For the record, I think I HAVE done better than Winston/random other Innocents in figuring out what Beefy is up to, can’t be sure it’s 100% right but I think I do have the best theory. As it stands:

Bad Player was likely Wormtongue
    Beefy is Saruman, can't be lynched until he's the last one. Also purposely refrained from killing last night I'm thinking.
    Autolycus was probably Innocent; as am I of course
    Ugluk is likely Takhisis, though could be a surprise from someone else here.
    Winston may be corrupted.

We’ll see how many of those I’m right about, or at least more right than everyone else, a nice way to test how smart I’ve been or if I’ve managed to play well enough. But thanks Winston anyway.

Then again, I do hope like I said before that you are corrupted and trying to juggle both Isengard and some “Corrupted Ringbearer Victory;” if not it’s a little sad but I guess it’s your problem. The one thing I do expect to come out at the end and I’d like to head off now is people blaming me for poor play/distracting the Innocents. Clearly, several other Innocents even have enough logic to figure out or guess I’m not a threat, like Snerk, and I don’t have any real influence over others myself. So, especially if the Innocents lose and people are angry and want to blame someone at the end, it’s been Winston who’s leading the Charge of the Hobbit Brigade here. At any rate, I know it will be absolutely major LOLZ for me to read the Fellowship Quicktopic at the end for instance...

As for my fate now, like I said, I am happy enough to die today if that gets the Innocent act together. Though I would rather have liked to die yesterday instead of Theoden though and am a little peeved I didn’t have that chance, if he was Innocent, and I’m guessing he was. But if everyone gets their votes in I’m happy to even ask to end the day early, shave off 10 or 12 or 20 hours or however many Camikaze can, I have no reason to stick around and drag things out. Also has the advantage of making it night for “Caturday” and making Takhisis’ spam worthless, and when you see I’m Innocent you can kill him tomorrow. And Takhisis gets to see what happens when you strap toast to the back of a cat and drop it.

So I guess this is it, in retrospect it certainly could be said I never expected I lived this long and this game went places I never would have imagined. I realized I hadn’t thanked Camikaze for great GMing in my last post complimenting various folks (and if anyone is smarter than people have been guessing, it’s Isengard. Don’t underestimate them, get rid of Takhisis please asap), so thanks again Camikaze, I probably won’t even be posting while dead; I want to keep things a surprise for myself on this one, no Laroth to rebell against ;)

Haldir bids farewell: “It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known."

12. Arakhor

Why do you keep insisting that Winston is aiming for a Corrupted Ringbearer victory? Do you have even the slightest shred of evidence for this occurrence?

13. Earthling

Earthling Chieftain

"Sure, it's possible to construct scenarios in which Winston's behavior is the product of foolishness rather than guilt."

I'd rather give him more credit than just having so many epic fails for the Innocents though. So if he's not made a bunch of crazy mistakes by accident/generally being incorrect then there must be some ulterior motive.

But I really don't have much else to say, I think every bit of info I have is out there already and I've answered all questions about myself; we especially can wait to talk until we're both dead ...I probably shouldn't answer pestering by the dead anyway.

14. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Chieftain

What I don't understand, is that Autolycus was lynched, and the Ugluk deaths stopped tonight, and Saruman was weaping over his lost.

Camikaze even gave a hint that Autolycus was Ugluk in the update!

I don't see how Autolycus being innocent is likely, he is mafia in my books.

15. Renata

Renata homicidal jungle cat GOTM Staff

I'm feeling so much more kindly toward you now that it seems likely you were mafia all along. :)

That would be the same Snerk you were accusing of having an implausible and suspiciously-applied ability, just yesterday? :)

Actually this part I do agree with. If Ugluk kills again after you die, and/or we are unable to lynch Beefy to finish things off, then Takhisis would be next on my list.

Indeed -- again, assuming you are Mafia -- you have been a worthy opponent. I think this game will be remembered more for you than for anyone else, no matter the outcome.

16. Earthling

Earthling Chieftain

Actually, maybe this wasn't fully out there, but it comes on top of being rather sure that Bad Player was Mafia:

I know for a fact that I am not Mafia, TLO. If Autolycus was, that means there were THREE of them alive yesterday. Looking at everything that happened in yesterday's vote, if there were three Mafia it should have been a piece of cake for them to avoid Autolycus being lynched. Instead, he was lynched, and top suspects for being Mafia (say Takhisis) directly contributed to lynching him. In short, when you see me dead/find out I'm Innocent, you'll see how it doesn't really add up that Autolycus was Mafia; if so, he both wasted his own ability and his whole team had a huge fumble in letting him die to such an easily avoidable lynch. Of course if Isengard is playing this sloppy then maybe they'll just mess up again and make an easy Innocent win; I don't just want to assume that though.

And Camikaze's post still strikes me as an incredibly obvious attempt NOT to confirm what actually happened, who is alive, and whether Isengard CHOSE not to kill. Camikaze wouldn't confirm any of these things if we ask though...and of course he Can't confirm things that aren't true. But I don't doubt at all that if Isengard specifically told Camikaze they weren't going to kill, and furthermore to try to hide that they chose not to kill, Camikaze probably let them do so and the result would be much like what we did get last night.

Edit for xpost: I'm really sick of people really not even reading things properly. Yes, it's the same Snerk who hasn't been 100% verified Innocent from any source I know. But I said several times and for multiple reasons, that even though Snerk was not 100% scanned Innocent, I didn't think it was him. It'd be silly however, not to at least consider if someone who hasn't ever appeared in a write-up/done something good as an Innocent MIGHT be faking their ability. I do think it's not Snerk now as it's too likely it's Takhisis or classical hero or something; but hey, Snerk still isn't clearly as Innocent as you or TLO and someone had to be Mafia. Also, for Snerk being Innocent either he or someone else is majorly at fault for wasting all of his uses of his ability; being able to scan Theoden or Bad Player for instance would have been a huge boon.

And yes, you're certainly correct about something. I would hope to be remembered for being right the whole time even while I had a weak, near-powerless Innocent role and people hated me the whole game, including several Mafia attempts to frame me/get people further annoyed and suspicious about me. I would consider that an accomplishment, thanks. But I see before I ended on a nice Dickens quote and now I don't have something suitable, so I'll have to fall back to Wordsworth.

Since I'm thinking I'm right, and hope the Innocents pull through..."And then my heart with pleasure fills/And dances with the daffodils."

17. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

Link to video.

18. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Refrained from killing? You don't deceive anyone. Whenever someone with the ability to do so didn't, it was explained either as being protected/roleblocked, or simply as 'X did not kill anyone'
    I like the idea. I'll borrow my cousin's cat and see what happens. Does it have to be a male or a female cat?
    See above. Camikaze always confirms whenever a kill ability is not used.
    'weak, near-powerless'? Didn't you have some protection ability on behalf of Théoden/Uglúk?
    Wrong flower. It be daisies, and 'stead of dancing wiv 'em, guv, yeh'll be pushing 'em up from yer grave.
    Die, devil, die!!!

19. Arakhor

Earthling, claiming that you are not a Mafia is irrelevant, as everyone will do that!

20. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

Go ahead.