Mafia Signups: The Life and Times of Atto Ngoogol

How much do you hate Atto Ngoogol?

• Whatever the answer to that one riddle was - yeah, that much!

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • A whole lot

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • A fair bit

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Hatred is an evil thing...if anything, in the end, I pitied him

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
Just sent it, Earthling… my role will certainly be interesting. Please send your answer back ASAP, so we can tweak the details…

Ok, this may or may not end up as a double post, for the reason you'll soon be getting that next intro writeup in the next, separate post. But things to answer here:

I think NPCs are out of consideration, though I'd really like more players. But the answer is, with 24 players I think I can make things work without the NPC solution - of course more, and many more players would still be fine, but I think there's another way that will do somewhat the same - result in fewer immediate player deaths early on so the numbers aren't too low...so what we'd do is simply not start without that many.

Next, some final updates on the rules and FAQ are in place, nothing major really. I don't think I'll repost the rules in the game thread though but link to this thread instead, and anytime something important would be added to say the FAQ I'll notify people in the game thread. Any more questions/comments are still welcome of course.

For the below intro, it should be regarded as official, and information on factions, characters etc... may be there. Nothing crucial or heinous, but backstory that will be relevant to some folks so paying a little attention may not hurt. (This will also be in the OP of the game thread).

Hoping to get more players then, but if we get 24 players with characters ready, we'll go within a day after that unless there's strong player objections to wait around longer (and I would like to get more characters, but waiting forever at some point has to be stopped). Contacted most every mafia player active around here so we'll see if we just get a bit more interest but thanks for the patience.

I think we'll get a few more wander over the thread or read PMs anyway, but yeah, anyone who's interested is certainly welcome. All of you all so far have really done pretty well on interesting characters and stories and I think more active/committed players would only add to the game even after we hit a point where it'd be good to go anyway, so folks are always welcome.

Introduction: A Pyrrhic Victory
Spoiler :

Gallium III, reigning Monarch of the line of Bohdan, King of Walenna, and Sovereign of the peoples of Nortion, had made a very unusual decision. It went against the judgment of his court, his advisers, generals, and allies. What of these attacks on outlying towns and villages, skirmishes along the borders, justified such a response, they argued. The King would be on a fool’s errand, chasing a mad sorcerer the army should just be left to take care of on its own; he was wasting the court’s time and would dishonor the kingdom’s allies; he was seeking glory only to prove himself in the shadow of his father. Yet the King did not budge, and he may have guessed right the threat was too dire and had to be met before it gained more momentum. So in the fall the capital city was halfway emptied as the people, now worried with the prospect of a real war, made their preparations. The largest army the kingdom had assembled in decades marched out, with the royal family at the helm. The decision was made, and the whoever sought to rebel against, or invade the kingdom would be met with concentrated, direct force.

Perhaps surprised not least of all, was Atto Ngoogol himself, who had attracted those vagabonds to raid the countryside, cause carnage and draw out humans to the slaughter, but who did not expect to achieve grander aims against the kingdom yet. Sure, the humans were weak, uncivilized, couldn't even respect the proper name of the ngomish people, and even among his own kind, well, none was excelled at magic and embodied greatness like Atto did, but he didn't expect the battle to be brought forth like this. For it was widely known that King Cedry was not the strategist, not the general, not the leader his father was – he ruled justly and with wisdom over the years, but he was never one to forge a greater empire, to solidify power. With this decision, all of a sudden, instead of months or years of skirmishes and distant battles, the fate of the kingdom would be decided in a single conflict, if the dark wizard could be driven away.

The one undeniable thing about Cedry’s rule, though, was his popularity. And so he rode to battle with the support of all his people, the soldiers of the kingdom eager, every Noble house making the utmost commitment to victory without regard for their own losses, and Walenna’s allies grateful to honor their longstanding treaties of alliance. Alongside the assembled armies of the kingdom were cunning elves, stout dwarves , brave and adventurous fighters from distant lands, and mages from halls of magic half a continent away. All together, the host was double the size of what Walenna’s human army would have been on its own, and perhaps, it was enough.

So the battle commenced as the armies met on the only major road that went anywhere in these borderlands. Ngoogol’s horde seemed fearless, attacked as one organism, under the harsh light of the winter sun just hidden behind the mountains. And in the first few moments the most devastation was wrought, to gain an insurmountable advantage Ngoogol gave it his all early on. He was a master of elemental magic, combined with violent tendencies to terrible effects. While the forces he led were mortal followers after all, that did not stop him from summoning many magical creatures to his side, bound essences from spirit planes, conjurations of magical powers and the stuff of the land itself, and once, by some accident, a creature from somewhere else. Lightning bolts rained up from the ground and boulders shot out of the sky as the human regiments scattered ranks and suffered devastating casualties, though their advantage in numbers was not fully diminished.

As melee broke out Ngoogol’s battle plan continued to survive contact with the enemy. Some of his most crazed and devoted minions managed a flanking attack, with a group of ogre-like, magically enhanced monstrosities that carved through the ranks of the royal guard. Cedry did not budge though, ordered his most experienced general to see to the rest of the battle, and threw himself into the fight. His most loyal advisor, a trusted envoy from the elves who, given their lifespans, had known Cedry for a very long time, stood with him to the death. Yet this moment was not to be one worthy of epic. The King fell, mortally wounded and could not be saved; his son, Prince Vanady fought bravely, but he did not vanquish his foes, did not rally his forces to a decisive rout over Ngoogol. He and his bodyguards barely managed a retreat, escaping the most horrid of the monsters trampling across the field as troops swarmed to bring them down, and he withdrew, gravely injured and bleeding.

All was not lost on the allied side, though. The lines were still holding, the most dreadful magical attacks resisted by those who survived, and the fight pulling through, even if the wizard was still half-flying about, out of danger and casting enchantments and devious tricks. The commanders of men and elves and armies of good hurriedly pondered their course of action. A retreat was possible; the citizens of the nearest towns could prepare for siege, and more help might yet arrive from neighboring kingdoms and allies.

Ngoogol, too, had made a decision however -some cold calculation on the spur of the moment that none other on the field of battle could understand. He had had enough – while the armies before him were in no better shape, no major victory was to be won here, and the kingdom would not yet fall. So he simply abandoned his side, unnatural creatures still running rampant, mercenaries left to fend for their own, even his cult of gnomish warriors now leaderless, and fled.

So there was no clear leadership corps to guide the survivors after the battle. The losses had been heavy – the most experienced generals had fallen, mercenaries and bandits on both sides of the fight were trying to merge into their own groups unnoticed, and no one knew where the crown prince was or what would follow among the nobles of Walenna. Only the elven lords seemed to bestow some order upon the chaos of the battlefield, but besides tending to their own they only had few representatives to advise the surviving humans.

And Ngoogol seemed to be getting away.

It was this last reality that forced some into action. For a sorcerer of his power, raising legions of followers was all too easy. And while his open disdain for the necromantic arts had been a curiosity for a Dark wizard, there was no guarantee Ngoogol couldn’t, in fact, delve into such power in the future, and return as a greater threat.

So it was decided that whomever could be spared, the best men and elves and more from all the allied armies, would be sent immediately to track him down. Some were eager for the mission, others apprehensive, and still others seemed to show up out of nowhere and convince the group that they belonged, that their magical talents or combat prowess were needed to hunt down Ngoogol, even if they seemed shady, untrustworthy characters otherwise.

There was no possibility or reason for the whole armies to follow – indeed, only the bravest, strongest, most heroic or most skilled could undertake this adventure, travel fast enough, rest lightly, and survive the perils. The clerics could provide minor blessings, magical wards and prayers for protection, but everyone knew the real threats had to faced directly with their own strengths. The mountainous terrain they would venture to was hazardous, unforgiving, the land lingering with scars of unknown conflicts from ancient times. Though, there was hope in knowing that Ngoogol was weakened, his magic nearly spent. The few older elven experts advised it was very unlikely Ngoogol had uncovered the lost secrets of teleportation magics, and without his horde of followers would be vulnerable on foot.

In short, he could be defeated if the party acted in haste and in unison. And so you set off.

So...getting closer. Think I have about 19 characters by last check, some of you are finishing up, and I hope we can get a few more signups.

I think the following proposal is best:
-Aim to get the signups and characters in by this Thursday or start of Friday, still would like a handful more players but everyone thanks for your patience.
-The first day will last through Monday, December 27th so a little long over Christmas but it's the first day and everyone can take their time.

Erm, Earthling, Friday is Christmas Eve and a lotta people will be eating or travelling or eating or drinking or eating or celebrating or eating so they'll be AFK for a looong while, you know.

Yes, that's why it would be great to have signups wrap up by Thursday. Or are you saying things need to be extended later - cause for me, I could send out PMs and open the game thread Thursday night/Friday, if we're ready by Friday, and then the first "Day" of the game could just go to Monday, Tuesday (or later??? if everyone thinks that) so that would be time for anyone to check by, no need to worry about the game over the Christmas weekend.

edit: I think things may be at cross-purposes here, I of course understand the concern. The other option would probably be, we open the game thread next Monday then. So still in signups/unofficial until Monday, no one will get PMs and so on or have to worry about the game thread till Monday, and then we'll just go on Day 1 from there.

I'll be gone from the 24th to the 26th and communication will most likely be sporadic on the 27th.

I'm thinking the game is going to remain in signups through the weekend, we need a few more and some people haven't finished their characters, so game thread to open hopefully around Monday but not earlier, just for everyone's info.

Plus, it's Christmas and people will be stuffing themselves dedicated to reiligious contemplation :shifty:

Guess I should work on that character a bit. :mischief:

Wouldn't bother me a bit if it didn't kick off until Monday. I still have a little last minute shopping etc. so should try to take a little time away from the computer -- figure others may be in the same position. ;)

I am going to regret this, what with time constraints and all, but I have a character idea, so in.

Might not even kick off till after Monday, but yeah, that's the final answer.

I might not be around much either tomorrow or till Sunday at any rate, at which point I might try to pester a few more folks for last signup spots and get things organized, so Monday's an optimistic call.

So a Merry Christmas to everyone then. No one will be visited by three ghosts here, I promise :)

edit: In case it wasn't clear, though I'd mentioned this before and I was serious - I AM ACCEPTING signups from folks who aren't inspired with their own character, particularly as we are in need of numbers but even so there are a lot of possible characters I could assign without additional work, as I'd already prepared for that contigency. Though of course, everyone so far has pretty much created wonderful characters on their own and it's really been great I can tell already, so good work and thanks for that, but for anyone new, another half-dozen at least I could easily provide characters as well.

What IS necessary, is a commitment to be active and play the game still though, read the rules and everything, but again, anyone's welcome to signup and just ask to be placed/given a character as needed as well. Case-by-case basis perhaps if you're worried about activity or something else about the game. Anyway again looking into next week we'll try to get everything ready to go.

Top Bottom