- Dec 4, 2005
I'm just posting this for reference , you can find the original post here : https://www.reddit.com/r/fallfromheaven/comments/a5nbqn/magic_of_fall_from_heaven/
Magic of Fall from Heaven
The One fashioned heaven, then took 21 aspects of it and gave them to 21 angels, one to each. These angels went out and fashioned creation from these aspects and for a while creation sung together as one chorus. But when the godswar began these aspects turned against each other, some abandoning their aspects entirely.
Manipulating these aspects was the province of the gods, these angels. But during the godswar they gifted the ability to their war machines. And at the beginning of the age of magic Cerdiwen gifted men with the ability as well. Though man’s divine ancestry and his birthright from the gods make him unusually suited for it.
- Adepts able to detect their dominion and perform minor effects.
- Mages able to perform great feats. Most with affinity after a lifetime of practice.
- Archmages who have mastered their dominion.
- Once in a generation casters who perform impossible tasks with their dominion. Some horrors left over from the godswar.
- Kylorin, who mastered all 21 dominions. Some true Angels and true Demons.
- Archangels, who are the manifestation of their dominion.
- Gods, whose will is the dominion.
- Tali- Angel of Air
- Air is the dominion of movement, speed and freedom. Though it is most commonly associated with the wind, adepts can frequently use the dominion to slip out of bonds, or race across an open field at great speed.
- Practitioners have overwhelming wanderlust. Imprisoning a practitioner will often cause them to go insane. Practitioners often find that their mood is impacted by the weather, powerful practitioners find that the weather is impacted by their mood.
- Greysun (4)- Greysun rides on the storm. He can become air or lightning at will, dances at the center of the tornado and slips unseen through the mist. He sleeps upon cloudbanks and wakes up in new countries. He is deathly claustrophobic and has a hard time being inside a building.
- Aeron- Angel of Strength, who would become the Angel of Rage
- Physical adept
- The magic of blood, bone and flesh. There is little detection here, instead minor practitioners often have superhuman physical attributes. More advanced practitioners can apply these bonuses to others, or transform themselves completely. Some can change their face to mimic someone else, bend their bodies like a snake, or regrow lost limbs.
- The strain of this magic on the body causes practitioners to die young. Many practitioners have physical defects that they can overcome with this dominion. Some practitioners can only affect their own body with this dominion, but these practitioners are often capable of incredible transformations.
- Kezef (4)- Whose experiments killed all the animals on the Grigi plains. Kezef mastered the art of being able to stitch various creatures together, he created the chimera and the flesh golem. He reserved his biggest feats for his own body, grafting himself into the body of a living giant.
- Camulos- Angel of Peace, who would become the Angel of War
- Wild mage, demonist
- The power of chaos and randomness. Practitioners have little to no control over the outcome of their spells. They merely channel their power toward their target.
- Practitioners are usually immune to the effect of their own spells and the influence of this dominion. Instead their influence usually impacts those around them, often unintentionally. Accidents are more common, and others are more apt to take rash actions. Many practitioners are gamblers, not because this dominion helps them, instead it negatively impacts those gambling against them.
- Carnivean (4)- A rogue and swordsman. His power manifests as incredible luck that always benefits him and crushing bad luck for anyone who opposes him. If there was ever a favored son in creation, it is Carnivean. Bridges collapse under his enemies, while he runs across it, finding perfect footing in the falling rubble.
- Amathaon- Angel of Fertility
- The power to bring something new into the world. From the minor ability to transform a like substance to another, to making something out of nothing.
- This is the rarest dominion. It is so rare that practitioners often don’t ever realize they are mages. Instead they are frequently alchemists or herbalists that believe their creations are the result of the ingredients and preparation, when it is their magical ability that is producing the effect. Practitioners are often gifted artists, painters, writers and sculptures.
- Majen (4)- A master toy maker whose creations were as delightful as they were impossible. A music box that always played a new song. Fantastic animals fashioned only of living paints and incredible growing plants made of shining metal. Board games that play themselves. Bejeweled puzzle boxes that hold wonderful gardens inside. Intricate dollhouses or miniature cities complete with people living out their lives within them.
- Arawn- Angel of Death
- Necromancer, Barren, Crows
- Those with a minor affinity often make great investigators. They can often sense places where people have died, and people or items that have taken lives. They can detect information from a corpse, often including the last things they experienced before death. Most cultures view manipulating death as immoral, so many practitioners avoid that.
- No one is born with death affinity. Instead it is found in those that suffer some traumatic event early in life. Those gifted in this dominion are generally barren. Many practitioners use the ability to manipulate death to create perversions of the dead, but moral practitioners can be just as powerful. These two groups often war with each other.
- Barbatos the Lich (4)- Barbatos was a warlord during the godswar. One of the few humans to join the conflict he led a tribe of men against Arawn, the god of death. They killed Arawn’s servants, and reached Arawn’s throne where Arawn was recovering from battle. Barbatos and his men attacked the god. Arawn lashed out, killing all the tribesmen instantly. But he cursed Barbatos, that he would be ever dying, but may never enter Arawn’s realm.
- Khalida (2)- Suicidal. Draws her power from almost dying.
- Ceridwen- Angel of the Stars, who would become the Angel of Magic
- This is the power of the between, that which binds things together. At its weakest practitioners are able to see the relationship between objects (a key and a lock) while the more powerful are able to change these relationships which is most famously used to change the location of objects (teleport, changing the relationship between you and the room you are into that of another room). Unusual uses for the dominion include changing the bond between parent and child (to influence birthright curses), or creating a bond between objects for voodoo type magic.
- Practitioners frequently hear voices and whispers. Many occasionally see objects as other things (seeing a child as a grandparent, an old clock as a tree, a diplomats letter as a bloody knife, etc). They appear as if they have schizophrenia.
- Gosea the Dwindling (2)- Gosea can channel spirits, usually demons, but has no ability to control them. Instead they possess her and use her as a puppet. She has power, but no will, and she is helpless to be anything but a victim to the forces that control her.
- Os-Gabella (4)- She is the first human created by the gods and is immortal. Ceridwen, goddess of the stars, personally taught Os-Gabella how to walk between worlds, and showed her the secrets between. Os-Gabella exists in all worlds at once, and can sense and interact with them independently.
- Kilmorph- Angel of Earth
- Hobo Mages, Breathless, Geomancer
- The source of this power comes from the world itself. It is strengthened in contact with massive blocks of stone, weakened when standing on dirt or cut blocks and practitioners lose all affinity for this dominion if they aren’t in contact with the earth at all. Being in a tree, on a horse, or simply held up in the air by someone else will negate their ability. But when in contact the practitioner can call on all aspects of the world to either imbue themselves with these aspects or transform the earth and stone around them.
- Because their power comes from contact with the earth many practitioners of this dominion choose not to wear shoes. Their magic will work through the short distance, but it is weakened. Because of their affinity and because their feet are in direct contact with the earth they can often sense anyone walking nearby. Masters of this dominion stop needing to breathe and can be mistaken for being dead, which isn’t helped by the fact that they sometimes bury themselves when meditating.
- Jenkin (4)- Jenkin is not human, he is a race created to guard a labyrinth between the worlds. He is immune to time, but not immortal. His form is covered in runes he has inscribed, making him nearly invulnerable, as strong as a giant, allowing him to pass through stone, dirt and metal, keeping him from requiring air or sleep, and allowing him to sense anything that is touching the earth within miles of his location.
- Nantosuelta- Angel of Faith
- Rune Carver, Enchanter
- This dominion never works overtly. Instead the aspects of objects are enhanced by it. Without other dominions, only existing aspects can be heightened, a wall can be made stronger, a sword sharper. But with ties with fire a sword can be given a burning blade, or with darkness a charm can be made to hide the wearer. These spells take complex rituals and days, weeks, months or years to cast depending on their complexity.
- Practitioners of this dominion are typically collectors of obscure and varied objects. They can sense the affinity an object has for a dominion and they are quick to gather ones with a strong affinity because it makes enchanting them in that dominion much easier. A practitioner skilled in this dominion and death is likely to have a morbid collection of items strong with death affinity nearby, murderer’s knives, gravedigger’s shovel, pieces of gravestones, hangman’s noose, etc. They occasionally find affinity for an item that they don’t expect (a key with a strong affinity for mind magic) and can spend a lot of time trying to research the history of the object to find out why.
- Beeri Bawl (3)-
- Velgyr (4)- Velgyr is very autistic dwarf and shuns people, preferring instead to dwell in a world of his own creations. He retreated deep into a mountain where he lived alone, creating a city full of enchanted inhabitants. From stone citizens that were nearly perfect imitations of the living, to tiny enchanted butterflies, and everything in between. But his greatest inventions occupied a vault at the city's heart, a crucible which can consume the magical energy of creation (and would be claimed by the Bannor in the Age of Invention), a clockwork dragon and an astrolab whose function is unknown to anyone but Velgyr.
- Agares- Angel of Hope, who would become the Angel of Despair
- Shieldbreaker, Cursed, Dustmen
- Focuses on the unmaking, ruin and destruction of objects, people, and society. Not by overwhelming power, but by finding and intensifying the targets inherent flaws. This power often works unintentionally, flowers wither, clothes unravel, food spoils. Just because a practitioner is around.
- Practitioners are often unable to maintain relationships, they see the flaws in others to closely. They become solitary and depressed, often suicidal.
- Asmoday (4)- The king of dust. Asmoday inherited his father’s wealthy kingdom when he was a child upon his fathers early death. But everything fell to ruin. Blights struck the crops, plagues hit his people, trade relations soured. As he grew into a young man his empire crumbled around him. It wasn’t until Kylorin came to add his lands to the patrian empire and explained his latent ability that Asmoday felt like anything other than a failure. He never ruled again, but he learned control for his power and the ability to focus it to tear areas, armies and empires apart.
- Bhall- Angel of Fire
- Clan of Embers
- The power to channel and control fire also applies to rapid change and mutation. There is often great power in these transformations, but they are temporary and often leave the target weaker or even destroyed by the experience. Practitioners that internalize their power often consume an external source to feed it (fire, hatred or physical matter that they reduce to ash) so that they aren’t destroyed by it.
- Practitioners of this dominion are very passionate, as artists, lovers or they are violent. They are often very driven individuals, those obsessively pursuing their goals and the disenfranchised looking to launch a rebellion.
- Mikel Dylantyr (4)- there is an ocean of fire that dwells within him. And though he can channel it, his true power is tied to his rage. When enraged, fire flows out of him hot enough to melt stone and waves of lava flow from him. An entire city stood once where there is now only ash and rippled stone.
- Dagda- Angel of Balance
- This is the power of the immutable. The power of authority and judgement. Magic is performed as “Decrees”, the Decree of Eternal Vigilance compels someone to protect the target with their life. The Decree of Silence keeps someone from ever speaking about a subject and the Decree of Sanctity keeps the target from entering a specific location. Decrees can apply to people or inanimate objects. Powerful practitioners can have decrees that impact the entire world. A “wall of force” isn’t a physical construct, it is a decree that nothing can pass the area that is applied to the entire world.
- Many practitioners of this dominion are mute. They tend to be open minded and thoughtful, but once they make a decision, they are slow to move off of it.
- Paimon (4)- He is a luonnotar his early 50’s. He is plain, quiet, forgettable. He is immune to all magic. And has an incredible gift to “awaken” a person, dramatically increasing their magical aptitude for the rest of their life. He can also do the opposite and purge a person of all magical ability forever.
- Mulcarn- Angel of Ice, who would become the Angel of Winter
- This is the force of stasis, of unchanging. It can also be a force for calm or slow recovery (like a coma). A little power can cause things to slow, and strong practitioners can cause natural processes to stop entirely.
- Practitioners become dogmatic, resistant to new ideas or reform. They love tradition and take comfort in rituals and habits. They tend to be conservative in all things.
- Badb (4)- there is a blizzard that rages across Erebus, horrible, sudden and dark. It settles into an area at night, and is always gone by dawn. Those lost in the blizzard sometimes find an ancient castle that didn’t exist before and seek shelter from the cold. The castle is haunted, endlessly reliving one horrific night. But the king is very much alive, Badb is caught in this nightmare and is as powerful as he is insane.
- Junil- Angel of Justice
- Witch hunter
- This dominion is the power of justice and equity. It punishes inequity, corruption and randomness. Law frequently gives power equal to any just challenge, but no more.
- Practitioners tend to be obsessive compulsive in some aspect of their lives. They are reliable administrators but may be inflexible. Practitioners are the most powerful when standing against corruption.
- Soqed Hozi (4)- Head of the Order during the Age of Magic. It is said that if she spoke a lie, reality would change to make it into truth. Soqed had a mute twin who was little more than a dim shadow of her powerful sister. The two remained at the Temple of Atonement where they oversaw the church and its inquisitors.
- Nemed- Angel of Life
- Minor practitioners can influence fertility and help speed healing. More powerful can perform miraculous healing or extend life. Practitioners can also sense back through generations of a subject, sensing who assessors are, and bringing out their assets in their descendant.
- Practitioners are often conceived without sex. Those conceived like this often have high affinity. Practitioners are often drawn to those that are suffering, though they are often sought by powerful men as a balm against disease and old age.
- Leucetios (4)- The mother of nations is eternally young, and always pregnant, giving birth every 9 months, usually to twins or triplets. Each of her children are heroes in their own right and they all share a bond with their mother that they can draw strength, healing and support from her.
- Oghma- Angel of Knowledge
- This dominion focuses on the nature of magic itself. It is most commonly used to detect and identify magic. Though at moderate levels it can be used to break and disrupt spells and at the highest levels it can be used to transform magic, or the way it works. A master in this dominion can create an area where magic doesn’t work, move an enchantment from one object to another, or trap a magical creature in an object.
- This dominion has to be accessed through symbols, runes and ritual. Practitioners spend long hours studying to understand these complex interactions much as a chemist studies chemistry. This makes for bookish, arcane sorts. Unusually there are varied types of this dominion that seem to have little connection to each other. One may understand magical interactions through precise mathematical drawings, another through colorful mandala, other through carvings on elaborate 3 dimensional objects. These all have the same result, but students of each have little to learn from each other. It appears that any way it is envisioned it is only an interpretation for the true nature of magic, and practitioners can only hope to learn by continuing to learn more about their particular interpretation. Learning another is like starting over.
- Auric Ulvin (3)- Auric has no ability to manifest magical effect on his own, but a strong ability to detect and manipulate magic that already exists. He is vessel capable of consuming and expelling great power.
- Gastrius (4)- Gastrius’s body was long ago consumed by his magic. Now he appears as a figure made of blue fire. He can’t interact with creation without a willing host that he bonds with. The host gains great power but is in control (mostly) and is guided by Gastrius.
- Govannon (3)-
- Mammon- Angel of Foresight, who would become the Angel of Greed
- The power of memory and thought. Practitioners can read minds and protect their thoughts from the same. The more powerful can manipulate the memories of their targets or dominate them entirely. There are a wide range of effects that can be caused by this dominion, from becoming “invisible” by causing on target to fail to notice you, to implanting thoughts (you should go out on patrol), or mistaking the senses (that stick is a snake). The effects typically require concentration to maintain the effect. This dominion is largely ineffective against those whose minds are significantly different than the practitioners (so a human would be unable to affect animals or angels).
- Exposure to others minds often causes befuddlement or confusion in the practitioner. They are often unable to simply cause the change they want and will expose themselves to other thoughts or memories of their targets. Practitioners who use the power to frequently may begin to dream as if they were their target, or have odd memories from the lives of those they have influenced. Many go insane. Others suffer dementia where their memories become lost in sea of others.
- Henri Ghouls (Perpentach) (4)- Henri has lived for generations by dominating a victim to the point where they believe they are him and have every memory and thoughts he has. Subjugating their mind completely. He has gone through so many generations that the process has driven him quite mad.
- The Horncrier (2)- The Horncrier travels with a Balseraph carnival and he has one particular gift. He can push his thoughts and sensations out to a large group of people around him. He demonstrates this by becoming imbibing on Jeteye (the drug has so damaged him that he remembers little of his life before becoming the Horncrier) and then watching the carnival. Everyone in attendance experiences the carnival through the filter of his euphoric and addled mind.
- Sucellus- Angel of Nature
- The power of slow growth. The power of the forest and the remote corners of the world. They can sense the life of a region and commune with plants and animals.
- Affinity is strongly based on the practitioners environment, being nearly powerless in urban areas and powerful in the deep forest. Practitioners often have a specific type of plant or animal that they bond with.
- Arendel Phaedra (4)- Flowers bloom in her presence and turn toward her. Has mastered awakening, animating and speaking to plants. Can animate an entire forest. Also has an incredible bond with birds and can see through their eyes and speak to them from miles away.
- Herve (4)- Controls weather, which often changes violently with his mood. Can modify entire herds of animals across generations and is responsible for creating many of the dire species of wolves, boars, bears and others that survive to this day.
- Talia Gosam (2)-
- Esus- Angel of Trust, who would become the Angel of Deception
- This is the power of deception, hiding and illusion. Unlike other dominions that give the power to detect their power, that is not granted through shadow. A practitioner can create illusions of size and complexity depending on his affinity.
- Many practitioners lose their affinity during the day. Nearly all practitioners have increased ability to see in darkness. Many with an affinity for this dominion see things that aren’t real. Occasionally it is as strong as full hallucinations, but more commonly they are simply people moving in the shadows, something standing at the edge of the bed, or something glimpsed out of the corner of the eye that isn’t really there.
- Gibbon Goetia (3)-
- Wode (4)- According to legend Wode was the one who brought the worship of Esus to the svartalfar, who hid the sun for 7 years to allow lycanthropes and vampires to spread, who stole 3 gems from the worlds of death, air and water. None of this is true, every story about him as a charming rogue and swashbuckling mage is a lie. In truth he dwelt within the sewers of patria, he is the king of insects and everything that skitters amd crawls. He hears everything that is whispered in the city above him, and he knows everyone’s secrets.
- Jacque the Barber (2)- bearer of the umbra cloak, a power that resides in those with shadow affinity. It grants knowledge and shadow abilities as long as no one ever knows that the bearer has those powers. Once someone knows, the cloak passes to another.
- Sirona- Angel of Wisdom
- This is the power of emotion, of hope and fear, of compassion and anger. It is the power that reminds us that our bodies are a thin veil for the soul that lies within us. Bodies that will break down when we experience true loss, and unable to stand under overwhelming grief.
- Twins are more likely to be gifted in this dominion. Blindness increases a practitioners affinity so it is more common in this dominion. Some practitioners blind themselves on purpose for this reason. Practitioners often unintentionally affect the emotions of those around them, because of that, they make good performers. Some practitioners have more powerful impact over those they love, some have more impact over those they hate.
- Einion Logos (2)- Einion is a detector, he can read the subtitles of the mood of those he views. See the slightest twinge of fear or desire in someone he is speaking to. This makes him a capable diplomat and advisor.
- Ethne the White (3)- Ethne’s power is largely untrained and uncontrolled. She inspires those that follow her. Her effect can be felt for miles as a feeling of courage, faith and peace. She can inspire entire armies or cities. Ethne’s power only remains as long as her own faith is steadfast.
- Laroth (4)- He would create his own empire in the underworld. Laroth’s incredible gift is to inspire sacrifice in others. Those he speaks to will give their life savings, or even their lives to him. They seek to subjugate themselves to any cause he offers. In life this giving was finite, but when Laroth’s entered the underworld he found this sacrifice to be infinite, and began raising an army of worshipping souls that served him alone.
- Sammuel the Grey (2)- He specializes in trapping the souls of those that die, either in their corpses or other objects. These souls were of moderate use, most commonly Sammuel sold them as occult trinkets. Though over time their haunted nature would often curse the owner.
- Lugus- Angel of Light
- Prophet, Radiant Guard
- This is the power of revelation and spiritual truth. At modest levels it can destroy illusions and force the truth out of someone, and at the most powerful it can tear away everything false from a target, both physically and emotionally. It can strike those that refuse to see the truth blind, turn strong but insecure men into burnt reflections of their spiritual selves, and shock a rioting mob into seeing exactly what they have become.
- Telling lies weakens the power of a practitioner over this dominion. To the point that they can lose it entirely. Those that are completely open for years can reach amazing levels of power, but that is rare to find. Many casters are powerless at night, or when they are not in direct sunlight.
- Chalid Astrakein (3)-
- Radiant Guard (1)- In the patrian empire many prophets fled into the desert to avoid death when they warned against the empires wickedness. But Kylorin specifically trained a group of sun affinity kingsguards called the radiant guard that could see through illusions and deception. They were renown for being able to stop assassinations.
- Tamesis (4)- His skin glows like the sun. Radiant light pours out if him and makes it impossible for him to leave his specially prepared chamber in the Spire of the Sun. In the spire he would receive people seeking truth, looking to be purged of curses, atonement or blessings. He was treated as a living god.
- Varn Gosam (3)-
- Danalin- Angel of Water
- The force of the ocean is also the power of dreams, sleep and madness. Their power is strengthened with contact with water, but most are able to draw off of the moisture in the air and in their own bodies to cast.
- In the Age of Rebirth, most practitioners struggle with horrific nightmares. The intensity increases with their affinity with this dominion. Ironically many gifted with affinity in this dominion are afraid of water, either that fear or an early trauma with water seems to have deepened their connection.
- Hannah the Irin (3)-
- Hemah (4)- Hemah is an affective dreamer, his dreams become reality. His dreams have born monsters and heroes, and they have remade Hemah and his past many times. He isn’t a typical mage in that he does not control the magic, it controls him. He is trapped in his own nightmare.
- Trenton Majosi (4)- The last of the Aifons. Trenton completed a quest to save his people from destruction, but opted not to use the solution and risk restarting the godswar. Instead he stood with his people as their doom approached.
An adept with an affinity for two dominions. About 25% of all adepts are Petrarchs. Having an affinity for two dominions doesn’t confer any extra proficiency, and many Petrarchs favor one dominion over the other.
- Faeryl Viconia (3)- Nature/Shadow. Faeryl was only born with Nature affinity but Esus gave her a great mirror that hangs in her bedroom. The mirror always shows her sister, Arendel. But it shows Arendel to be more beautiful, more perfect, more heroic she actually is. As long as Faeryl keeps the mirror, she is gifted with Shadow affinity.
- Gaelan (3)- Chaos/Metamagic
- Keelyn (3)- Dimensional/Mind
- Lethe, Queen of Sorrow (3)- Entropy/Spirit, Able to drive men into deep depressions and hopelessness with just a few words.
- Mary Morbus (3)- Body/Death. Her magic comes from the disease that infects her. Body magic allows her to remain alive even with the plagues she carries. Though it doesn’t protect those around her.
- Sandalphon (3)- Shadow/Spirit
- Thessa (3)- Nature/Death
- Tya Kiri (3)- Dimension/Entropy
- Judecca (3)- Entropy/Earth. Rustbringer, able to cause swords to break and castle walls to crumble.
An adept with an affinity for three dominions. They are very rare. Unlike Petrarchs, an affinity for three dominions usually means that the adept is incredibly gifted in all three. These are once in a generation mages who are often capable of nearly godlike acts of magic.
The only known master of more than 3 dominions is Kylorin, who mastered all 21.
- Alexis (4)- Body/Death/Spirit. Alexis can strengthen herself by feeding on the death of others. This strengthening stops aging and makes her superhuman in health, strength and speed. Her most remarkable ability is that she can transfer this power to others, though they remain bound to her afterwards. And they can transfer it as well. Through each generation the bond and the effect weakens. But it has allowed her to enslave people for ages.
- Dain the Casswallan (4)- Fire/Metamagic/Sun. His most unique gift is his ability to transform magic into fire. He can use this to destroy nearly any magical opponent or barrier, and with his affinity for fire he can control the fire created by the transformation. His affinity for sun grants him with 7 ethereal eyes which see through all deception, even when he sleeps.
- Solomon Ka (4)- Mind/Body/Spirit. Solomon can only focus his magic internally, but he uses it to make his body superhuman, his mind has perfect recollection and perception and is immune to domination, and his soul is both immune to outside influence and able to travel outside his body. He has also stopped aging.
- Tebryn Arbandi (4)- Death/Dimensional/Enchantment. Tebryn worked his most powerful magic through runes, including one that caused anyone who died within miles of it to rise as undead in Tebryn’s service and another that caused him to be reborn as a child if he is ever killed.