Magical Cultural Victory number 2

Zaimejs

Emperor
Twice now I have been playing and then all of a sudden, I get the victory screen. I feel like one of those ladies who doesn't even know she had been pregnant suddenly giving birth.

I was playing as Kublai and looking forward to a slog of a domination victory... when suddenly, about turn 160, I got the victory screen. I wasn't going for culture. I didn't know I had any culture. I guess I must have conquered some nice wonders.

I realize I am only playing on Emperor, but still. In games where I have gone for culture from turn 1, it takes an epic amount of energy and time to finally win a culture victory. Usually planning wonders and really working toward great people.

I did not have a single great artist, writer nor musician. I didn't even have a religion!

I have no idea what I did to deserve such a victory. My tourism was like 96. I have had games with tourism of 1000 and still struggling to eke out a victory before someone wins the space race.

Crazy.

did you leave out the part where you had 20 optional game modes on stacking bonuses and whatnot

Heroes & Legends game mode allows to unlock Heroic Relics, which is 10 Tourism each. Early Tourism kicks very well when the opponent barely have a 20 Culture per turn. If you managed to grab 4 Heroes, you may enjoyed 40 Tourism from these really early.

Monopolies and Corporations game mode increases your Tourism modifier when you achieve a monopoly. The formula is roughly a global 5% modifier per civilization not owning the ressource and per monopoly. It means the modifier is getting bigger when the number of enemy civilization is increased. If you managed to take control of the luxury ressources on your home continent and you are paying against 7 civilizations, you may have up to a +140% Tourism modifier (or even more due to some unknown parameters in the formula).

With both game modes, you end up to have some base Tourism from the Heroic Relics and a huge Tourism modifiers. If we take the 40 Tourism and +140% modifier from earlier, it is almost a 100 Tourism to fight against, so all the AI need ~100 Culture per turn each to fight against your Tourism output. Add more base Tourism from wonders or Great Works, and more modifier from Trade Route and Open Borders, and the Tourism Victory is inevitable.

In short: Tourism victory is more common due to 2 game modes. Heroes & Legends gives some nice base Tourism thanks to Heroic Relics, and Monopolies and Corporations amplifies it by a lot when achieving monopolies when playing against a lot of civilizations (but the formula might be broken currently).

Last edited:
did you leave out the part where you had 20 optional game modes on stacking bonuses and whatnot

Yeah, he left it right alongside the devs balancing their games properly :p

Twice now I have been playing and then all of a sudden, I get the victory screen. I feel like one of those ladies who doesn't even know she had been pregnant suddenly giving birth.
As someone who has witnessed childbirth in person a couple of times, I'd say you probably don't feel exactly the same.

I know what you mean, though. My guess is you are playing with Heroes and Legends on. It gets you early tourism, which can be very effective at ending the game before you think it might. H&L was responsible for my unexpected Classical Era CV. The AI doesn't really know how to take advantage of it for itself, so I now leave H&L off, as it gets too easy even for me.

Playing with corporations on is like going down a level. I love them, but they make King way too easy. Emperor is now a fair challenge.

Monopolies and Corporations game mode increases your Tourism modifier when you achieve a monopoly. The formula is roughly a global 5% modifier per civilization not owning the ressource and per monopoly. It means the modifier is getting bigger when the number of enemy civilization is increased. If you managed to take control of the luxury ressources on your home continent and you are paying against 7 civilizations, you may have up to a +140% Tourism modifier (or even more due to some unknown parameters in the formula).

It can get quite a lot worse than that. The quoted formula is [5% x Number of Improved Nodes x Number of Civs that do not own the resource]. In a recent game, I had 6/6 incense on a huge map, which gives +330% alone. Even the 1 single tea in the game that I owned gave +55%, more than even late game bonuses give on their own, and that could have been since basically the start of the game if it had been in my core area. By the Renaissance I found myself at +1100% just from monopolies (and that's just when I noticed the amount). I'm not really sure how the Devs found this formula balanced. I would expect an economic game mode to be producing gold for me to pursue my chosen victory path, not blindly giving CVs due to improving resources.

It has nothing to do with how many game modes you have active or bonuses stacked. It's one bonus, from one game mode, as it was already explained in another thread. Even the devs are calling it a bug and already confirmed that a fix is coming:
As mentioned in our stream, the fix for the tourism bug with Monopolies is coming. Turnaround for bugs in the wild can take a while—we have to hear about it, confirm it, test it, make sure everything is okay. In the meantime, keep in mind that the multiplier only gets compounded if you have multiple monopolies—industries and corporations alone have no effect.

The Monopolies tourism bonus is broken, which is causing this kind of accidental cultural victory. @Zaimejs Disable cultural victory to play with the Monopolies and Corporations game mode to avoid winning by accident.

Top Bottom